American Blackout Tonight

Get your attention? :)

Looks to be pretty good, tonight on National Geo, at 9 Eastern, repeated at 11. A fitting companion to the Walking Dead perhaps, the real zombie hordes that would arise?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/american-blackout/videos/american-blackout-trailer/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-sagers/natgeos-american-blackout_b_4158582.html

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils
Dunno, didn't seem very realistic. Who is watching all those news shows and presidential pep talks days after the power is out and communications are down? Or is it just transmitted for the benefit of the world audience?

I think maybe it would be either a whole lot worse, or not as bad as in this depiction. Kinda like that WW III TV mini series "The Day After"-- It was purt grim, but not near as bad as the real event would have been. Kinda watered down so that typical folks could watch it at all, maybe.

Lots of the folks in this blackout seem unusually stupid and unresourceful, but maybe that is on-par.

One would (I think) see more natl guard and military sooner, but given it is presided over by Obama, maybe that is realistic as well.

In college I took a sociology class and the prof liked to say that America is 48 hours with out power from a major meltdown.

I think the inner cities would burn in just a day.

Yeah, I thought the whole thing was fairly well done.

Lester, I got that that it was just more of "found/available footage" type intent, had to have some source for the "documentary" -- though I'm sure TV and radio would continue broadcasting as long they could, whole linkage from source to end user dependent on generators of course.

And yeah zgun, the only real unknown is whether it would actually take 10 days to get that bad -- like you, I'd halve that, or less. Hell, there might be cannibalism in ten days.

Within 30 days, probably kiss at least a fourth of the population off, as disease starts taking toll; probably be cholera and whatnot in populated areas by then. I image the largest number would simply die in place of shock and despair, for lack of better psychological terms.

- OS

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils
Maybe if one has neighbors, either burbs or rural, and one is well-prepped, pehaps camoflage would be useful. For one thing, be the first out begging supplies from neighbors. Thataway they wouldn"t maybe think of hitting you up, if they figger you are worse off than them?