September 2008 Middle TN Meet, Eat and Shoot -- September 13th

Please RSVP by voting  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Please RSVP by voting

• I will be there.
    • I will also be attending the lunch gathering.

• Administrator

WHEN: Saturday, September 13th. Lunch @ 11:30am, Shooting @ 1:00pm.

WHAT: Middle Tennessee TGO Meet & Shoot

WHERE: Spring Hill, TN (Owl Hollow Gun Club)

We will all meet for lunch at 11:30 in Spring Hill at "Snappy Tomato" pizza. This is located in the Publix shopping center on Highway 31.

Cost to shoot is $5.00 per person. You must supply your own eye and ear protection, paper targets and target hanging materials. Handgun pits require clothes pins or tape to hang targets from a wire stretched across the pits. Rifle lanes require a heavy duty staple gun to fix your targets to the backer boards.

Recommend that you bring insect repellent. Weather dependent, also bring sunscreen and/or shoes that you don't mind getting muddy and dirty. This is an OUTDOOR range.

Directions To Owl Hollow Gun Club

Range is located approximately 10 miles south of downtown Franklin, Tennessee in Williamson county. From I-65 South/North take the Peytonsville Road exit, #61; go West about .7 mile to the red light at South US 431 (Lewisburg Pike); turn South (towards Lewisburg) onto US 431 and go approximately 6.5 miles to Owl Hollow Road; turn west onto Owl Hollow Road; the range is located approximately 1.1 miles on the left side of the road.

Approximate GPS Coordinates for those with GPS devices: Latitude 35.7606 N ; Longitude -86.8571 W

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

As guests (and for some of us, as members) of Owl Hollow Gun Club, we are all expected to adhere to their rules and policies while on the premises. Please assist by doing so. Thank you. :cool:

Understand and strictly adhere to basic firearm safety rules:

1. You must always assume all guns are always loaded.

2. Never let your firearm’s muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (Laser Rule).

3. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard unless your sights are on the target and you are willing to shoot (OFF-target OFF-trigger, ON-target ON-trigger).

4. Be sure of your target – be able to identify it and know what is behind it.

Understand and follow range commands:

• “CEASE FIRE” is a COMMAND signifying a safety issue or expiration of a timed relay. Stop firing immediately and bench all firearms with actions open.

• “CLEAR” and “HOT” are rifle range REQUESTS to change targets. Everyone on the rifle range and both pistol ranges must acknowledge Clears.

• Range Clears allow rifle targets to be changed. Range Clears should occur about every 30 minutes and should last about 5 minutes. The rifle range member initiating a Range Clear is responsible for requesting a “HOT” range after all members are behind the firing line.

• Clears are not required to change pistol pit targets.

• Do not handle your firearm during Clears. During Clears, firearms must be benched with actions open and muzzles pointed downrange, or rifles grounded with the barrel engaged in rear loading bench grooves, or lying on the rear bench with actions open, or pistols holstered.

Follow firing and target standards:

• Ear and eye protection are mandatory.

• You are encouraged to avoid eating, drinking and smoking while shooting to reduce the potential for lead ingestion.

• Alcohol or drugs are prohibited before or during shooting and will not be tolerated.

• Uncontrolled rapid fire is not allowed. All shots must be aimed and impact the backstop berms between the target frames. Sustained fire is acceptable if every shot is on target.

• Full-auto firing is restricted to the long pistol pit with short, controlled bursts.

• Muzzleloaders are loaded at the rear loading benches, not on the firing line.

• Targets are limited to paper, cardboard or clay targets. Reactive targets are prohibited except for club functions.

• Target backers must be used on the rifle range, positioned in target frames (not leaned against the frames). Cardboard backers should be cut to about 24” wide to fit in the frames.

• Clay targets must be placed on the face of the backstop berms, not on top.

Maintain range appearance standards:

• After shooting, dispose of your targets and shotgun hulls in a trash receptacle.

• Dispose of more trash than you generate to counteract less responsible members.

• It is not necessary to pick up brass.

Guest Jason F.

Well I will have to miss this one. I will be at Indy for the Redbull Moto GP race so to the probably one other motorcycle racing fan on the site [insert thumbs in ears and wave fingers] Neener, neener, neener! [/insert thumbs in ears and wave fingers] to the rest of you enjoy the day. I would like to say I will miss you all but I will be having too much fun.

• Administrator
Well I will have to miss this one. I will be at Indy for the Redbull Moto GP race so to the probably one other motorcycle racing fan on the site [insert thumbs in ears and wave fingers] Neener, neener, neener! [/insert thumbs in ears and wave fingers] to the rest of you enjoy the day. I would like to say I will miss you all but I will be having too much fun.

Combine the sports! Take your rifle and shoot at the bikes as they whiz by. :hat:

I gave our tickets to my father-in-law, otherwise I'd be there too.

Probably won't make the shoot though.

Guest HunterH

I will be there with my comp exams off my back. :2cents:

There is a Quizno's close by the tomato... might be a nice change? I am good with whatever.

Can't wait to se everyone!

Hunter

Only problem is Quiznos would take much longer to order, wait for food, and sit and eat. By the time the last guy in line got food and seated, the first guy there will be long past ready to go shoot. A buffet style establishment seems to fit our agenda a little easier. IMO

• Administrator

FWIW... I will do my best to bring some wasp / hornet spray with me but would encourage anyone else who wants to do so also. I have no idea if the club has already addressed the issue with hornets building nests in the berms or not.

Guest HunterH
FWIW... I will do my best to bring some wasp / hornet spray with me but would encourage anyone else who wants to do so also. I have no idea if the club has already addressed the issue with hornets building nests in the berms or not.

I'll have wasp spray with me as I keep it in my range bag for OHGC. I have not heard anything about the club doinng anything but remember I have been living under a rock in studyland for a few months.

I'd like to attend - I'll have to see if I have been able to purchase a rifle by then. Perhaps I could get some shooting tips? I posted in the new member forums but the short story is I'm going to start learning how to shoot (I've only shot a gun once at a range in columbus, ohio last weekend) - as soon as I buy a rifle (.22).

Guest HunterH
I'd like to attend - I'll have to see if I have been able to purchase a rifle by then. Perhaps I could get some shooting tips? I posted in the new member forums but the short story is I'm going to start learning how to shoot (I've only shot a gun once at a range in columbus, ohio last weekend) - as soon as I buy a rifle (.22).

Welcome to the group!! I think that the eat and shoot is a great way to meet people that will be happy to talk with you and offer tips along with letting you shoot thier guns. I encourage you to come even if you do not have your gun yet. It will be a great time and if you are near owl hollow, many of us, including me would be willing to meet you out there to work on your shooting techique and help with your great new hobby.

Hope to see you there!!

Hunter

Guest RISC777
. . . along with letting you shoot thier guns. . . .

Hunter

If anyone who hasn't, and wants to fire a few through a S&W Sigma (.40), just ask me. :cool:

*ducks for the commentary that might follow*

.22? You come on out. I'll put some 7.62 in your hands. Wanna try an AK?