Halloween letter to parents.

DaveS

As best I can tell she plans on only giving out letters and no candy period but might be wrong. I think her decision to do this is right out of the Michelle Obama hand book. Cheaper to hand out letters than candy too. I am passing out mini granola soft and chewy bars from Quaker Oats this year. Picked them up at Sams. Box of 48 for $7.99. Got two boxes of them and if I have any left I will eat them as they are good and healthy. I don't get a lot of kids but get some so wanted to be ready anyway. I know my great grand kids like them because they eat some every time they visit.

As best I can tell she plans on only giving out letters and no candy period but might be wrong. I think her decision to do this is right out of the Michelle Obama hand book. Cheaper to hand out letters than candy too. I am passing out mini granola soft and chewy bars from Quaker Oats this year. Picked them up at Sams. Box of 48 for $7.99. Got two boxes of them and if I have any left I will eat them as they are good and healthy. I don't get a lot of kids but get some so wanted to be ready anyway. I know my great grand kids like them because they eat some every time they visit.

The way I read the article, she plans on only giving the letter 'instead of candy' to the kids that she deems to be 'obese'.  From the article, although not 100% clear:

A woman in North Dakota has decided to give trick-or-treaters that she deems "moderately obese" a letter instead of candy this Halloween.
Edited by JAB

All the above aside, I live so far out that there is just about zero chance of me getting any trick or treaters.  The only kids that young who live near me are my sister's kids.  I am happy about that because it means I don't have to worry about buying candy and so on but sometimes it would be kind of nice to live in an area where if I decorated for Halloween there would be people to see it.  I like Halloween but as it is I haven't even bothered making a jack-o-lantern this year.

Edited by JAB

This woman, came forward and told people/media that was her plan.  I bet when the media was interviewing random people on the street they had not even heard of it until interview time.

This woman, wanted and got national attention by doing nothing more then saying what she planned.  

It isn't like she did it and then parents ran to the media.  I believe this was planned out for attention. 

• Like 1
Guest drv2fst

If I of any of my friends had gotten a letter like that when we were kids that person's yard, house, and car would have paid the price.  She is very likely to entice immature people to act very immaturely.  I wish I could watch that.

This woman, came forward and told people/media that was her plan.  I bet when the media was interviewing random people on the street they had not even heard of it until interview time.

This woman, wanted and got national attention by doing nothing more then saying what she planned.  

It isn't like she did it and then parents ran to the media.  I believe this was planned out for attention. 

Very true. She may have only wanted her 5 minutes of fame. I hope she enjoyed it!

DaveS

I think you are on the right track Vontar. I believe we have just seen the work of a grandstanding village idiot.

Let the kids have some candy on Halloween. It is not really the time or place for this woman to make such determinations on who is overweight. If she can't give everyone candy she should not give any out at all.

• Like 1

Her 5 minutes of fame may cost her more than just some media attention. When it comes to  kids, parents  are like a rabid Rottweiler on steroids. As it should be!. We do not want our kids to get hurt.

All it takes is some overzealous parent to do something  stupid over this letter.

I would ask her wtf she was thinking..

• Like 3

I'm a heartless bastard so I can understand her reasoning. I get angry when I see all these obese kids at wal-mart and the parents are feeding them the worst food imaginable.

That being said, her timing is poor and it's really not her concern. Fat people are gernerally going to have fat kids and in their eyes the kids probably healthy and beautiful.

ETA-I feel bad for the kids, it's not their fault they have parents who don't know proper nutrition.

Edited by Erik88

Well , all I know is I am stuck with about 100 Chocolate Chip  soft Granola bars but not because I didn't want to give them out. The weather played a very big roll in keeping kids in doors for the most part. We had some very high winds and rain all evening here. Oh well, I guess I have plenty of snacks now I can eat. At least I am smart enough to buy something I like to eat just in case of issues like this............. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Well , all I know is I am stuck with about 100 Chocolate Chip soft Granola bars but not because I didn't want to give them out. The weather played a very big roll in keeping kids in doors for the most part. We had some very high winds and rain all evening here. Oh well, I guess I have plenty of snacks now I can eat. At least I am smart enough to buy something I like to eat just in case of issues like this............. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Don't be surprised if they make their rounds tonight.

I hear a little boy died in Nashville last night while out trick or treating. I guess the wind knocked some power lines down on him. This is so tragic as "spook night" is supposed to be filled with cheer and happiness. I pray for that child's family.

DaveS

That's terrible news Dave. Nashville was definetly storming last night though, I live off of Harding Pl. just a few blocks from Nashville Armory and all last night I was having blackouts and hearing sirens up and down Harding all night. All of which is to say you are most likely correct. It is terrible enough to lose a loved one, its even worse when it happens around a holiday.
Guest Riciticky

I hear a little boy died in Nashville last night while out trick or treating. I guess the wind knocked some power lines down on him. This is so tragic as "spook night" is supposed to be filled with cheer and happiness. I pray for that child's family.

DaveS

Yes and one died in White Pine when he fell out of a moving van and the grandfather ran over him. So sad.

I believe whom wrote that has a case of headenass-syndrome, it can be cured with a swift and precise kick to the Posterior hopefully resulting in the dislodging of said Cranium and replaced with one Podia(foot), usually with three to four inches of penetration, preferably up to the Ankle.

While it is sad that the kid had to die, the parents need to be held accountable.  The kid that got hit by the electric line did so just before 10pm.  What the hell are the parents thinking?  I guess I am just used to when I grew up, Halloween or not, it was a school night and on top of that, it was well know there were going to be powerful storms.  

I feel bad for the parents (mostly), but in my opinion it was neglect and they should bear some burden.  Call me a careless bastard, but saying they will have to live with it is not enough for me.  I hope they don't have other kids.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out your kid didn't need to be outside last night, let alone at 10PM for a 9 year old?  Give me a break.

Edited by Hozzie

While it is sad that the kid had to die, the parents need to be held accountable.  The kid that got hit by the electric line did so just before 10pm.  What the hell are the parents thinking?  I guess I am just used to when I grew up, Halloween or not, it was a school night and on top of that, it was well know there were going to be powerful storms.  

I feel bad for the parents (mostly), but in my opinion it was neglect and they should bear some burden.  Call me a careless bastard, but saying they will have to live with it is not enough for me.  I hope they don't have other kids.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out your kid didn't need to be outside last night, let alone at 10PM for a 9 year old?  Give me a break.

I have to agree that the parents need to bare some of the responsibility for this.

DaveS