Official Muzzleloader Thread/Hunt results

I got up, heard the wind already blowing, and went back to bed.

Congratulations on the buck, :up:

Brother, is that a new deer hunt strategy? Wind wasn't bad here this morning, but about noon, it was leaning the treetops over.

DaveS

Even though I didn't tag a deer this morning, it was one of my finest mornings I've had in the woods in many years. It started off with a little spike buck and a couple does milling around right at shooting light. The little buck was the only one that gave me a shot but I chose to let him live another day. I felt pretty good about that. Squirrels were very busy this morning putting away their winter stores and a couple of chipmunks got in a little action. Also right at daylight, I was serenaded to three hoot owls that wanted to "laugh" at the whole world. About then, two distant Coyotes announced their presence in the deer woods. At this point in time I cared very little about killing a deer. I was just amazed at God's work and the blessing I have to had experienced it. What an awesome world we live in! I hope I'm equally entertained tomorrow.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 3

Brother, is that a new deer hunt strategy? Wind wasn't bad here this morning, but about noon, it was leaning the treetops over.

DaveS

That's been my policy for a while. If I can hear the wind blowing before daylight, I don't expect it to get any better as the day goes on. I do not like hunting in the wind.

• Like 1

Even though I didn't tag a deer this morning, it was one of my finest mornings I've had in the woods in many years. It started off with a little spike buck and a couple does milling around right at shooting light. The little buck was the only one that gave me a shot but I chose to let him live another day. I felt pretty good about that. Squirrels were very busy this morning putting away their winter stores and a couple of chipmunks got in a little action. Also right at daylight, I was serenaded to three hoot owls that wanted to "laugh" at the whole world. About then, two distant Coyotes announced their presence in the deer woods. At this point in time I cared very little about killing a deer. I was just amazed at God's work and the blessing I have to had experienced it. What an awesome world we live in! I hope I'm equally entertained tomorrow.

DaveS

That is exactly why I go hunting. A treestand is the most peaceful place I go.

• Like 1

Dave I sort of had the same type of experience, but, as a concrete import for Cali I am glad I had the opportunity to share in that experience. But it raises a question for me.  I don't recall from the hunter safety class if there is a preferred size for a buck for the taking.  And of course I have to sit on the home depot special bucket on the ground and in a wooded area and can see where at distance it might not be able to tell the difference between a young buck and a doe.  I know as a newbie I need to not be over eager to take the shot.  Kind of long winded but is there a size a person cannot legally take or does it matter thanks for all the help you have offered it has been a great help. 

I saw a bunch. Saw a 4 pointer this morning, 2 spikes and 3 does, and 1 unconfirmed that i think was a small buck harassing 2 of the does this evening. I had one spike walk right under me and I spit on his head. He freaked out looking around everywhere but never really spooked or thought to look up. I shouldn't aggravate em but it was pretty dang funny watching him.
  • Like 1

Ron, during Muzzleloader season where you are allowed 3 deer a day and only one can be antlered it's a non issue on rack size. By law, it has to have antlers 3 inches or longer to count as a buck. If they aren't 3 inches long it's considered antlerless. Right now don't worry about it being a young buck or doe. Both are legal for you to take. Just go in the woods my friend, relax, enjoy life and get your self a deer. Young buck, old buck, young doe or old doe.....only you can decide which will make you happy. A lot of folks say never shoot young bucks. It doesn't bother me to. I passed on a little spike yesterday and felt pretty good about it. That spike may be a trophy for you though. Just go enjoy your hunt.

Just a note: During the regular gun season, a Type 94 special season/WMA permit is required to take "Antlerless" deer unless your hunting your own land.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, we just got back from church and doing a little running around, and was thinking about getting out this afternoon to see if anything comes our way.  We could hear a bunch of shooting about this time up until dusk yesterday, so we were hoping they all haven't been scared off into another county.  And thanks for the heads up about the extra license for antlerless during rifle season.  Now off to find us one before ML ends, but then we still get another chance during rifle, and hope to also take you up on the offer for the sausage making! 

• Like 1

I am certainly not the one to speak about 1 make versus the other, however, if all the other stores are like wal mart, when we were there today, everything was sold out including most consumables.  So if you find a source for something, hopefully it is what your looking for, good luck with your search.

I'm looking into getting a muzzleloader. How do you guys like the TC's?

I like mine a lot.  I find that most people like whatever they have and they all do the job.  I think it is more about what features you want.  I had a TC Omega Z5 and while it was fine, I realized that I preferred a break action for ease of accessing the breech plug and cleaning, not to mention it makes it easier to put the primer in.

Quite honestly, I think most of the main manufacturer's are decent, you just have to decide what you want.  This is the one that I got.

http://grabagun.com/thompson-center-triumph-bone-coll-50c-camo-blk.html

I liked the way it looked and I liked the idea of of the shock absorbing stock.  I would figure out what you want to spend and surely there will be a more than adequate ML in that range.  My only real recommendation is to look for a break action, but other's may have a different opinion.

Edited by Hozzie

I think they call this a "selfie" pic... Anyways big fat old doe:

4B75DC1C-1439-4441-B359-2A2036386C57-125

Watched her feeding for nearly an hour until I just got tired of watchin' and decided to get in the game. First one I've shot with this rifle and figured I needed to test it.

TC Impact, 250gr Shockwave bonded/110gr Blackhorn 209, 50yds.

Edited by JWC
  • Like 5

I like mine a lot.  I find that most people like whatever they have and they all do the job.  I think it is more about what features you want.  I had a TC Omega Z5 and while it was fine, I realized that I preferred a break action for ease of accessing the breech plug and cleaning, not to mention it makes it easier to put the primer in.

Quite honestly, I think most of the main manufacturer's are decent, you just have to decide what you want.  This is the one that I got.

http://grabagun.com/thompson-center-triumph-bone-coll-50c-camo-blk.html

I liked the way it looked and I liked the idea of of the shock absorbing stock.  I would figure out what you want to spend and surely there will be a more than adequate ML in that range.  My only real recommendation is to look for a break action, but other's may have a different opinion.

Yeah I really like the idea of a break action. I've heard a lot of good about the TC's and that's what I'm leaning towards. Just wanted to get a few more opinions. Thanks guys!

I think they call this a "selfie" pic... Anyways big fat old doe:

4B75DC1C-1439-4441-B359-2A2036386C57-125

Watched her feeding for nearly an hour until I just got tired of watchin' and decided to get in the game. First one I've shot with this rifle and figured I needed to test it.

TC Impact, 250gr Shockwave bonded/110gr Blackhorn 209, 50yds.

You're supposed to make a duck face when you take a selfie. 

Congrats on the deer. I've been happy with my TC Impact. 

I have a TC that I bought used for $75. It has become my gun to shoot year round, the process really teaches me to evaluate my BRM every shot. On another note, went out this morning and was able to get a buck with only 4 points but weighed 122lb field dressed. I thought it was a big doe at first - the meat was soooo tender. These 2/3 year old deer are looking huge.