My wife has decided to get her carry permit and i'd like to find her a Shield 9mm, XDs 9mm or maybe G26?

Luke E.

Okay, My wife finally brought up wanting to take her carry permit class which I am tickled about. I brought it up a handful of times over the last couple years but decided that i'd leave it be and let her bring it up on her own time. figured if I had to pressure her into it that she likely didn't need to do it right then. She's gotten a bit more comfortable with her shooting over the past year though and with a bit more range time I feel good about her carrying. I want to get her a sub compact carry gun in the Shield/XDs size range chambered in 9mm. I don't want anything any smaller like the Keltec and Ruger .380's due to their remarkably awful trigger pull weight and length because she really struggles with the triggers like that. She does not enjoy shooting them and it takes to much of her strength to pull the triggers so by the time the trigger breaks, she is no longer as accurate as she wants to be. I don't want anything bigger because i'm pretty sure that she would just end up leaving it at home or in her car. I'd like to try to get these two in her hands and would really like for her to be able to put a few rounds through them so that she can choose what fits her hands best so i'm going to have to run through buddies until I find one of each for her to demo. I also haven't ruled out a G26 but have  it in 3rd place because it is a bit bigger than the other two (I think it is anyways, I have no experience with the G26 so chime in if i'm wrong or you have something to add). 

My big question is (because of laziness on my part) what would one expect to pay for a used G26 in 9mm? I know that PSA has Shield 9mm's for like $359 which seems cheaper than most are asking for their used ones so I would likely buy new if she wanted the Shield. I haven't been keeping up with it but how long has the XDs 9mm been out? any chance of finding a used one at enough of a discount to be worth not buying new?

You can pick up a gen 3 Glock 26 for $490, new. I've seen used for $40 less.

Guns and Leather is a great place to start looking...take cash.

Cash is the only thing I deal in unless it's an online transaction but I try to do as much of my shopping local as I can. Thanks for the heads up! I have enough shooting/carrying friends local that I should be able to get my hands on each of them for her to try out. How does the G26 compare size wise to the XDs and Shield? I assume since it is a staggered stack it will be wider but not sure how much. 

BTW I know I can look up the size specs but looking for more of a real life "gotta buy pants 1 size bigger to IWB a Shield and 2 sizes bigger with a G26" and that sort of practical comparison. I know opinions will vary from person to person but just trying to get a feel for it so I know what to expect.

BTW I know I can look up the size specs but looking for more of a real life "gotta buy pants 1 size bigger to IWB a Shield and 2 sizes bigger with a G26" and that sort of practical comparison. I know opinions will vary from person to person but just trying to get a feel for it so I know what to expect.

Okay, My wife finally brought up wanting to take her carry permit class which I am tickled about. I brought it up a handful of times over the last couple years but decided that i'd leave it be and let her bring it up on her own time. figured if I had to pressure her into it that she likely didn't need to do it right then. She's gotten a bit more comfortable with her shooting over the past year though and with a bit more range time I feel good about her carrying. I want to get her a sub compact carry gun in the Shield/XDs size range chambered in 9mm. I don't want anything any smaller like the Keltec and Ruger .380's due to their remarkably awful trigger pull weight and length because she really struggles with the triggers like that. She does not enjoy shooting them and it takes to much of her strength to pull the triggers so by the time the trigger breaks, she is no longer as accurate as she wants to be. I don't want anything bigger because i'm pretty sure that she would just end up leaving it at home or in her car. I'd like to try to get these two in her hands and would really like for her to be able to put a few rounds through them so that she can choose what fits her hands best so i'm going to have to run through buddies until I find one of each for her to demo. I also haven't ruled out a G26 but have  it in 3rd place because it is a bit bigger than the other two (I think it is anyways, I have no experience with the G26 so chime in if i'm wrong or you have something to add). 

My big question is (because of laziness on my part) what would one expect to pay for a used G26 in 9mm? I know that PSA has Shield 9mm's for like $359 which seems cheaper than most are asking for their used ones so I would likely buy new if she wanted the Shield. I haven't been keeping up with it but how long has the XDs 9mm been out? any chance of finding a used one at enough of a discount to be worth not buying new?

Doesn't matter what you want or don't want. Take her to the gun store and let it be her choice if you can. I have no doubt that you can pick something that will serve her well. It will just work out better if it's really her choice. Know what I mean, Vern? She may pick a wheel gun, which is more than ok if she's connected to it, and not just trying to make you happy.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 5

Doesn't matter what you want or don't want. Take her to the gun store and let it be her choice if you can. I have no doubt that you can pick something that will serve her well. It will just work out better if it's really her choice. Know what I mean, Vern? She may pick a wheel gun, which is more than ok if she's connected to it, and not just trying to make you happy.

Yes I understand and that's the best advice. I've had her in the gun shops many times and taken the time to shop with her while there and have made stops by the store a few times for no other reason than to let her dig through pretty much on her own. I pretty much just stood back and answered her questions and provided relevant facts. She's been to the range a number of times as well as shooting on a friends farm where a bunch of us gather to shoot a fair bit (I take her there, just the two of us when she is wanting to focus on shooting more than socializing).In her trips to the range and the farm she's had an opportunity to run quite a few pistols of various sizes and types and the two things things that are a no-go every time are #1- pistols that are shaped in such a way that the upper grip/beaver tail part knocks and chafes the first knuckle on her thumb and #2 long and/or heavy triggers. She has yet to ever fire or fondle a wheel gun that she cared anything about so unless something majot changes, that out as well.

I guess the way I worded my post I made it sound like those were the only three that shes allowed to choose from but I have told her she can have whatever she wants but as we worked through options, those were the quality pistols that met her criteria. If she doesn't like any of them then we'll head back to the drawing board but I've got high hopes that 1- given their size, her smallish hands will wrap them up nicely 2- they should all have decent enough triggers to pass muster and 3-(this is the unknown) hopefully they won't beat the top of her thumb to death.

She tends to be more intimidated by the physical size of the pistol than she is the recoil but if she can't get 100% comfortable with a 9mm, .40 or .45 I am not beyond getting her a nice .22 to build up more confidence (M&P22, SR22 etc...)

I guess it would have been helpful to have added all this to the original post. Mike, if you or anyone else has any other quality and reliable options that you think will meet or even exceed the ones I mentioned I would be happy to add them to this rounds contestants. Any more advice or suggestions?

I have a Glock 26, and it's great, but feels like a small brick when carrying it. I hardly ever carry mine because it's bulky and uncomfortable.

I prefer a gun that I wouldn't know it's there if I didn't KNOW it was there. Most women I know that carry are the same way.

I would recommend that you let her check out the Sig 938. What a sweet gun!!! Small, thin, and a superb shooter with a great trigger. I love mine!

The only thing would be to make sure she has plenty range time with it and is 100% familiar with the safety.

I have a Glock 26, and it's great, but feels like a small brick when carrying it. I hardly ever carry mine because it's bulky and uncomfortable.

I prefer a gun that I wouldn't know it's there if I didn't KNOW it was there. Most women I know that carry are the same way.

I would recommend that you let her check out the Sig 938. What a sweet gun!!! Small, thin, and a superb shooter with a great trigger. I love mine!

The only thing would be to make sure she has plenty range time with it and is 100% familiar with the safety.

She held one at a friend's shop and if I remember correctly it was a bit on the small side of her liking. I have a friend that has one so i'll see if I can't scoop it up from him for her to try out. I put one mag through it and it is quite the gun! I can already see the writing on the wall though, She is going to want something the size of the ones I mentioned originally and then she's also going to want something smaller for when her outfit dictates such.. Don't take that as griping either, I will buy here whatever guns she wants that I can afford (which may not be many). I'm just glad she is getting more interested.

Here's our story...

Wife and I checked out the Glock counter to see what everything felt like. We picked up all of the 9mm and narrowed it down to the 19 and 26. I was happy with both so I left it to my wife. She picked the 26 and that's what I bought , a few weeks later. The plan was for us both to learn on it, I would carry it until we could pick up another carry pistol for me and she would take the 26. I thought I was pretty slick working out this little deal but after 6 months she decided it was too big for her to carry. It is bigger than I thought but I love it.

She has now settled on the Beretta Nano. It functions like a Glock...no manual safeties, striker fired...but is a single stack and quite small. The other options were the Shield and XDs. The debacle over the summer soured us on the Springfield and S&W so we are now taking a much closer look at the Nano.

The serialized chassis and interchangeable frame are nifty (I think all pistols should be made this way). Over the past month I've seen the Nano for $310 at multiple places, online. At that price...we might get two. Although I am now looking at the PX4, now as well.

Good luck to you and your wife. I hope you two have as much fun with the process as we did/do.

To all...if recoil is a consideration for your wives; think several times about the Nano. Try to get one to fire first. I don't personally feel that the Nano is a good choice for most women if it is a fist gun or first carry gun.

I found the recoil on it to be pretty harsh. My wife fired one shot and hated it. Strongly and loudly. Absolutely refused to fire it again. And yes she is experienced with my guns. It wasn't a first time with a handgun.

my wife finally settled for a G26 - she sold her Ruger LC9 due to the trigger she could not get comfortable with the long trigger pull,  next on her list was XDs and after renting it and shooting it she didnt like it - said it was to choppy and the grip digs in to her hand.

Then she tried the G26 and she loves it - i also upgraded her trigger to a 3.5 lbs and she could not be more happy with it - very accurate to.

some ladies say that is to heavy to carry but get a proper holster for her and it will not be a problem, mine uses a crossbreed look alike IWB from Well Armed Woman and it works perfect.

• Like 1
For my wife and quite a lot of money. She likes the Shield that she picked and carries. She also carries a Glock g19 gen 4. Both of these guns were her picks, fits her hands and she is very comfortable shooting. I also carry these same guns. For range shooting when not shooting the above, she shoots a RIA 1911 9mm and I normally shoot one of my 1911 45's.

The best advice I can give you is don't buy her any gun until she shoots the exact range gun a couple of times,then if she still likes it that is the one to buy. Also if she carries a pocket book the added weight and size of the G19 is no big deal.

I'd say the Shield is a good choice . Idealy the best I would say would be the G26 but the S&W is good too. I say these two becuase parts could be bought for them . WIth the XDS , you cant buy replacement parts hardly at all without sending it back to the company. Plus on the XDS the grip-safety may not always get depressed and therefore it wouldnt  fire.

I have the Shield and G26 and i like them both ALOT . I have handled the XDS and the grips safety , to me , is an unnecessasary part that could hurt you instead of help when time to fire.

That is my $.02 :wave:

My wife and I went down this same road about 6 weeks ago. We were able to meet a fellow tgo'er at the range to try some of his guns as well as his wife's. She was able to try a Sig 238, a 9mm shield, a M&Pc 9mm, and an EMP 40. Of those she really liked the sig and the shield with the shield fitting her hand better. Then we went to the Nashville Armory to rent some others. She handled a few glocks and didn't care for them and shot a kahr cw9 and hated the trigger. She now owns a shield and loves it!

Here's our story...

Wife and I checked out the Glock counter to see what everything felt like. We picked up all of the 9mm and narrowed it down to the 19 and 26. I was happy with both so I left it to my wife. She picked the 26 and that's what I bought , a few weeks later. The plan was for us both to learn on it, I would carry it until we could pick up another carry pistol for me and she would take the 26. I thought I was pretty slick working out this little deal but after 6 months she decided it was too big for her to carry. It is bigger than I thought but I love it.

She has now settled on the Beretta Nano. It functions like a Glock...no manual safeties, striker fired...but is a single stack and quite small. The other options were the Shield and XDs. The debacle over the summer soured us on the Springfield and S&W so we are now taking a much closer look at the Nano.

The serialized chassis and interchangeable frame are nifty (I think all pistols should be made this way). Over the past month I've seen the Nano for $310 at multiple places, online. At that price...we might get two. Although I am now looking at the PX4, now as well.

Good luck to you and your wife. I hope you two have as much fun with the process as we did/do.

She actually saw the Nano in the case one time and asked to see it. The trigger wasn't ideal to her but that's been some time back so who know's, things change. Might be worth revisiting though.

To all...if recoil is a consideration for your wives; think several times about the Nano. Try to get one to fire first. I don't personally feel that the Nano is a good choice for most women if it is a fist gun or first carry gun.

I found the recoil on it to be pretty harsh. My wife fired one shot and hated it. Strongly and loudly. Absolutely refused to fire it again. And yes she is experienced with my guns. It wasn't a first time with a handgun.

It seems like most pistols are quite harsh when they get down in that size range. I'm folks will say my ??? isn't and it may not be when compared to other gun that size but i've never shot one that I enjoyed shooting much and she really hasn't either. I understand that small pistols are for concealment rather than shooting enjoyment but I do want her to halfway enjoy it so that she will want to put some rounds through.

Hey Luke, give me a yell(PM) we have a G23, LCR 38, and a 25 ACP.

Yall are welcome to stop by and test a few.

If She is not used to shooting an automatic, the revolver might be the way to go.

I appreciate it Red. I will let you know if we start heading towards your direction.