Williamson County Commission to Consider Attack on Right To Carry

• Administrator

Williamson County Commission to Consider Attack on

Right-to-Carry on Monday, September

Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voice Heard!

On Monday, September 8, the Williamson County Commission will hear an anti-gun proposal, Resolution No. 9-08-31.

Resolution No. 9-08-31 attempts to impose new restrictions on law-abiding citizens’ Right-to-Carry in Williamson County. Resolution No. 9-08-31 would establish a policy prohibiting guns in all buildings owned and controlled by Williamson County and to direct signs providing notice be posted at the entrance ways of each building. Passing this resolution will do nothing to thwart violent crime, but instead will create an ambiguous boundary preventing law-abiding citizens from carrying a firearm for self-defense even where they have a legal right to be.

Please click here to view the packet of September Resolutions. Resolution No. 9-08-31 can be found on Page 54 of 57.

This proposal will require a Majority (13 of 24 Commissioners) to pass or fail.

Please attend this meeting at 7:00 P.M. on Monday, September 8 in the auditorium of the Williamson County Administrative Building, located at 1320 West Main Street in Franklin, to show your opposition to this attack on Right-to-Carry. If you are unable to attend, please contact your County Commissioner in opposition of Resolution No. 9-08-31. Contact information can be found below.

District 1 Reba Greer 615-799-0388 RebaG@williamson-tn.org

District 1 Ricky Jones 615-799-8766 fhjacket@bellsouth.net

District 2 Elizabeth Hester 615-790-3089 BetsyH@williamson-tn.org

District 2 John Hancock 615-794-4058 hancockjjr@aol.com

District 3 Clyde Lynch 615-368-7870

District 3 Judy Hayes 615-794-5380

District 4 Jason Para 615-791-9124 jasonpara@comcast.net

District 4 Cheryl Wilson 615-771-3567 cwilson@wilsonpc.com

District 5 Lewis Green, Jr. 615-776-2816 lgreenjr@gmail.com

District 5 Thomas Little 615-395-4335 tlittle@bellsouth.net

District 6 Arlene Cooke 615-377-1347 gram12@bellsouth.net

District 6 Jeff Ford 615-376-8814 jefff@williamson-tn.org

District 7 Bert Chalfant 615-373-4119

District 7 Tom Bain 615-373-1812

District 8 Greg Davis 615-591-8444 gregd@williamson-tn.org

District 8 Jack Walton 615-373-3346 jack@jackwalton.com

District 9 Mary Brockman 615-794-5177 marymcgaw@aol.com

District 9 Ernie Williams 615-794-9749

District 10 Bob Barnwell 615-599-7264 bobb@williamson-tn.org

District 10 Houston Naron, Jr. 615-591-0538 houstonn@williamson-tn.org

District 11 Mary Mills 615-794-2270

District 11 Russell Little 615-794-4696 russl@williamson-tn.org

District 12 Steve Smith 615-794-9515 steves@williamson-tn.org

District 12 Doug Langston 615-790-0729 dougl@williamson-tn.org

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HunterH

I plan to go unless something comes up that procludes it. Roll call so maybe we can go together and sit and speak as a group.

who thinks they will go???

if you do not, PLEASE call or email your rep. Williamson county is one of the most conservitive counties and if we give up ground here, the rest will be a quick drop!!

Thanks!!

Hunter

I have sent an email to my commissioner. He is a friend of mine, as well as all the HCP and Pro 2nd people I on my email list. (Most of them know him personally, plus we go to church with him :cool:) In addition I posted on his facebook "wall" that I am hoping he will vote "no" to it.

I'll see if I can get some of my buddies together for September 8th.

I have emailed the following message to both of my commissioners. I also copied Lewis Green (District 5 -- Nolensville and Triune areas -- who appears to be the sponsor of this resolution). Feel free to copy the body of the email and send it with your contact information to your commissioners. I'd suggest copying Mr. Green, as well.

As a constituent of your District, I am requesting that you vote "NO" to the resolution proposing to ban guns in county buildings. Only those who have complied with the requirements of Tennessee Code Annotated Section 39-17-1351 et seq. will be affected by this resolution. That is, this resolution will fail to stop those persons who are already committing a crime by carrying a weapon in violation of state law from continuing to carry on county property.

Since guns are already prohibited by state law on school grounds, in most public parks and county recreational facilities, and during judicial proceedings, this resolution is very limited in scope. The practical effect of this resolution will be less about the safety of Williamson County citizens and more about the philosophy of those who vote for it.

However, I do not see an exception in the resolution for the gun shows at take place regularly at the Ag Expo. This resolution, if passed, will do nothing to prevent crime or further ensure the safety of Williamson County citizens. Rather, this resolution appears to be an attempt to restrict (as much as possible by a county commission) the otherwise lawful rights of Williamson County citizens and to drive out the local gun show. Should you support this resolution, you should expect strong opposition in your next election.

Guest HunterH

I am planning to attend, but want to email my reps anyway. how do I find out who my reps are? I live in sullivan farms in franklin.

Thanks!

edit: I figured it out. I am in zone 11. I sent off the email. Thanks MidTennChip!!!

Edited by HunterH

Please see the response I received from Commissioner Hester. For those you will be able to attend, please make her aware of your support for her vote (assuming she doesn't change it). Just in case you need to know what district you are in, here's a link to the district maps:

http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=115

Thank you for this excellent advice. This was resolution was the result of an

individual carrying a gun in the parking lot of the Criminal Justice Center and

was late filed. I will oppose this resolution from reaching the floor.

I support the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of AMerica.

God bless America.

Betsy Hester

BTW -- I should have said this earlier, but THANKS TO TUNGSTEN for notifying us of this!

Edited by midtennchip
Where is williamson county? Smyrna?

Directly sound of Nashville, and includes Franklin, Brentwood, Fairview, Thompson's Station, Nolensville, and part of Spring Hill. Note that Williamson County consistently is the strongest Republican county in the state with over 70% of all votes for the republican presidential candidates and congressional candidates in the last 10 years.

However, even predominently Republican officials always seem to think the solution to a perceived problem is to legislate. Why people think government can solve all of our problems, I'll never understand.

Directly sound of Nashville, and includes Franklin, Brentwood, Fairview, Thompson's Station, Nolensville, and part of Spring Hill. Note that Williamson County consistently is the strongest Republican county in the state with over 70% of all votes for the republican presidential candidates and congressional candidates in the last 10 years.

However, even predominently Republican officials always seem to think the solution to a perceived problem is to legislate. Why people think government can solve all of our problems, I'll never understand.

That would be from a pure lack of backbone to stand up and accept responsibility for themselves.

I do not live in Williamson County, but hope that you guys hold hard on this issue so that other counties in TN do not get the same idea to put legal signs up where we can legally carry at the present time.

This is just another reason why these stupid signs should not be an up to $500 fine if you get caught walking past them. They should have no legal meaning other than 'leave if we catch you'.

Voldemort - I'm pretty sure that's it.

Yep, that's right.

Guess he was nuked by admins? Name not in user list.

Not hits with search by username or even by topic text.

If you are nuked, all your posts disappear or something?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot