2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

Guest Bonedaddy

I wish them jokers would quit that runnin' in front of me crap. Done hit 3 deer since movin' to Crockett county in '91 and come close a whole buncha other times. Front of my ol' Chevy is messed up now from one. Since deer season opened I've done had 5 run out in front of me. I pray everyday my Trailblazer don't get clobbered by one. Dang  them turkeys, too. A friend hit a feral sow hog that turned out to be purdy tasty on the grill a few years back. Pregnant, too.

Its a wee bit chilly this mornin fellas! Good luck!

Yeah, 21 and another windy one here.

I decided yesterday to sit it out today. My Son and SIL may go, not sure though. Of course, they're a lot younger and can take this cold better than me. I'll wait till that wind gets out of this part of the country. Pretty windy here too!

Dave

I might possibly have hit a nice buck last night. As luck would have it no sooner than the wife and I got out of the stand one comes trotting out. I plopped down on the ground pulled the scope up and could make out an outline of a deer and see that he was a large deer with a nice hat on. There was however a nice orange haze in my scope which after the fact I was told was scope flare. I ha it set on 12x and didn't know any better to turn it down. I sitting in the stand now and am gonna go look for him in a little while. Needless to say I lost sleep last night. Definitely one of those shots I wish I hadn't taken.

I might possibly have hit a nice buck last night. As luck would have it no sooner than the wife and I got out of the stand one comes trotting out. I plopped down on the ground pulled the scope up and could make out an outline of a deer and see that he was a large deer with a nice hat on. There was however a nice orange haze in my scope which after the fact I was told was scope flare. I ha it set on 12x and didn't know any better to turn it down. I sitting in the stand now and am gonna go look for him in a little while. Needless to say I lost sleep last night. Definitely one of those shots I wish I hadn't taken.

It happens. I hope you find him, or missed him altogether. I have never heard of "scope flare". I'll have to google that.

DaveS

From what I've read it really only happens when aiming towards the sun which is what I was doing.

On another note. It's flippin cold!

Damn right it's cold Buddy...be very careful out in that wind. It'll zap ya before you know it. Good Luck hunting! I now know what you are talking about with "scope flare".

Dave

Just got back saw nothing, dang cold though. A friend of mine over in Hardin Co. shot a five point this morning, and the darn thing is still in velvet. I would have thought that they would have already rubbed that all off by now. I would post a picture but I don't know how to get it from the phone to the computer.

• Like 1

Contrary to local public opinion, bigger isn't necessarily better in regards to riflescopes; especially those used for deer hunting. I find a quality 3x or 4x to be just about perfect. 

Contrary to local public opinion, bigger isn't necessarily better in regards to riflescopes; especially those used for deer hunting. I find a quality 3x or 4x to be just about perfect. 

I have 3x9x40's on a couple of my guns but sometimes it's hard to beat a 4x32 scope for brush and woods. It's just me I guess.

DaveS

I have 3x9x40's on a couple of my guns but sometimes it's hard to beat a 4x32 scope for brush and woods. It's just me I guess.

DaveS

I see lots of deer rifles with 6.5x20s and the like mounted on them. Nothing wrong with a 3x9, as long as it's default setting is 3x. :D Ever jump a deer right at your feet, throw your rifle up in it's direction, and can't make out anything through the hubble telescope mounted on top of an otherwise handy rifle? I haven't, but know several who have.

The older I get, the more I lean toward a scope like this:

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1719.jpg.html]IMG_1719.jpg[/URL]

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I see lots of deer rifles with 6.5x20s and the like mounted on them. Nothing wrong with a 3x9, as long as it's default setting is 3x. :D Ever jump a deer right at your feet, throw your rifle up in it's direction, and can't make out anything through the hubble telescope mounted on top of an otherwise handy rifle? I haven't, but know several who have.

IMG_1719.jpg

Nice scope...oh yeah, and the deer ain't too shaby either! Good eats right there!

Dave

Edited by DaveS

I see lots of deer rifles with 6.5x20s and the like mounted on them. Nothing wrong with a 3x9, as long as it's default setting is 3x. :D Ever jump a deer right at your feet, throw your rifle up in it's direction, and can't make out anything through the hubble telescope mounted on top of an otherwise handy rifle? I haven't, but know several who have.

IMG_1719.jpg

Don't reckon you'll ever have to change batteries or wipe lenses on that one.
  • Like 1

Just got home. Dang diggity is was cold out there! I didn't see one deer, only a cat...and not a bobcat  :down: . I got out there at 5:15 and stayed till 12:30, that's about all I figured I better do since half the guy the guys on my crew have been sick and I don't want to get sick before Thanksgiving. Headed to Missouri to visit family and maybe hunt some with my Dad. 

• Like 1

Don't reckon you'll ever have to change batteries or wipe lenses on that one.

Nah...I bet a good Buck would fog his glasses though! I know it would mine! J/K with ya Greg.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

Had a pretty eventful gun opener. Could hear 2 bucks fighting in the distance before light enough to see well. Few minutes later sticks breaking and grunting from that general direction. I made a few grunt calls and ole Sporty here made an appearance. Out of the stand early Saturday, stayed warm and slept in Sunday. Be back at it next week though. Good luck to all and be safe!Posted Image

• Like 4

Just got home. Dang diggity is was cold out there! I didn't see one deer, only a cat...and not a bobcat  :down: . I got out there at 5:15 and stayed till 12:30, that's about all I figured I better do since half the guy the guys on my crew have been sick and I don't want to get sick before Thanksgiving. Headed to Missouri to visit family and maybe hunt some with my Dad.

Good luck in Missouri! I just got home from near KC hunting and they started pushing does the day after I got home.
  • Like 1

Well after not tagging any deer in archery or ML seasons, finally scored this afternoon. Like to froze this morning, and gave up about 8:00. Went and done a little scouting around noon, found a fresh scrap and a couple rubs. Stopped and talked my neighbor/ hunting bud, he said he had been seeing deer around the hunting house. I told him I was going to hunt it this afternoon.

Fast forward to 3:00, drove over to within a 150 yds. and walked to the HH, sat down for a minute opened one window. Thought to myself better get the phone out, getting all situated, realized i had forgot the binos, dang. Well got the rangefinder out started looking around, ranging a few things to see what is what, ok I"m ready. Now I"ve been here all of ten minutes, and here comes this little doe, 285 yds. then another, both pretty small. So I"m thinking this is the yearlings that the neighbor has been watching the past month. Then here comes two more, and then two more, six all together. I watch 'em for like fifteen minutes or so, been waiting on some jerky meat for a month now. A couple of the young ones are playing around and start to wandering off, so I range one of the other does, 220 yds. Heck thats about as close as they are going to get so I reach for the 06, its a '03 Remington action thats was customize some time ago, nothing nice mind you it has seen alot of use before I got it apparently, but accurate. Ok, ok enough, standing broadside, set the sight right behind front shoulder. Bang! they all run off, wait some ten mins or so, walk to the truck and drive down to where they were. No blood, thinking I know I didn't miss, went to where I saw them enter the woods and bingo blood. Tracked in to the woods about another 50yds. there it is a nice little doe.

Pretty good from the time I sat down til the time of recovery approximatly 30 mins. I"ve only got one photo from the cell, and I"m not smart enough to get it off the phone to the computer, so will just have to take my word for it this time. lol

Good luck to the rest of ya'll.

• Like 3

Well I had a good weekend.  The morning was slow with the stiff wind from the north, but after lunch we went back out and saw 21 deer!  I got a doe and my dad got a HUGE doe.  We don't have a scale but she was bigger than my Great Dane puppy who is 125lbs.  Good times!

• Like 3
Guest Bonedaddy

Like I ranted 'bout before, I thought I was gonna get another with the dang Trailblazer right when I hit the city limits in Brownsville, comin' back from Memphis. She musta been an older, wiser doe 'cause she stayed put till I cruised on off after comin' to an abrupt halt right beside her. Had my rearend whistlin' all the way home 'cause I also saw 3 different groups of does of, at least, 9 total, off the side of Hwy 14, from the Memphis city limits to maybe 10 miles out from there.