What do you think?

About this, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

???

I'm looking to start reloading and this sounds like the reloading kit for dummies. I'm ok with maybe not going as fast as some setups, but it looks like this will go a long way tword getting me setup for 223.

I like the idea of a measure by volume as opposed to weight, seems easier?

Hopefully I can grab some bullets, powder, cases, a reloading manual, and get to cooking, yes, no?

You will have a good time reloading, but read, read ,read a lot before ya start.

All powders are by weight, ya set the measure to drop the weight you want.

IT WILL VARY a bit from drop to drop.

If ya load for consistent shoots, you will have to load each and every shell the same.

That means weighting each and every charge by weight.

The press is made to load a lot of rounds fast, the powder charge will be a bit diff from case to case.

If you are just starting, I would suggest something more like this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

It's what I started with.....and over 20 years later, it's still what I'm using.

If you later feel you'd like to upgrade to a turret or even a progressive press, you'll still find uses for the single stage.

Until you get comfortable with all the nuances of reloading, there's an awful lot going on at once with a progressive press. This makes it more likely something can screw up and you not catch it if you're not accustomed to what to watch for.

Edited by gregintenn

You will have a good time reloading, but read, read ,read a lot before ya start.
All powders are by weight, ya set the measure to drop the weight you want.
IT WILL VARY a bit from drop to drop.
If ya load for consistent shoots, you will have to load each and every shell the same.
That means weighting each and every charge by weight.
The press is made to load a lot of rounds fast, the powder charge will be a bit diff from case to case.

I think I could live with that, I don't want to "speed through" reloading, especially when I first start, but something to help take up some of the time would be nice. Do you or anyone know if the charging part can be done manually and have the unit seat, crimp, prime etc. still in one pull, or are the steps such that it wouldn't be possible. Even if its a bit inconvenient to do so for individually measured rounds that would be ok as I'd most likely be using this primary to cut down costs on and open up another avenue for range ammo. It would be cool to dial in some loads, but I'd be okay if 1/3 or maybe even less where super accurate performance loads. I just miss the days of not cringing every time I load a magazine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit
It's what I started with.....and over 20 years later, it's still what I'm using.

I looked at that one too. I like the price, and it seems so simple it would seem impossible for anything to really wear out.
My only reason to want to spend more on the other unit is because I'd really like to maximize my time behind a press. If making ammo where something I think I'd be comfortable doing while watching TV or multi tasking or something, I wouldn't mind taking a bit more time and using a single stage press. But since I think I'd want to devote my attention more on what I'm doing, I'd like to make the most of the limited time I can dedicate to a new hobby.

Does that make sense? I'm thinking that the one I linked would safe me quite a bit of time over the other, correct?

If you later feel you'd like to upgrade to a turret or even a progressive press, you'll still find uses for the single stage.

Until you get comfortable with all the nuances of reloading, there's an awful lot going on at once with a progressive press. This makes it more likely something can screw up and you not catch it if you're not accustomed to what to watch for.

Or this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

• Like 1

Any reason in particular or is it just a pile?

David M told me to stay away. HE said it was a pile. If you wanna buy Lee, try this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

It moves fast enough that I don't want a progressive. I still load some stuff single stage, like .458 SOCOM, precision .223, and very soon 6.5 Grendel.

BTW... all powder measures are by volume except for the higher end measures like the Chargemaster. I use the Chargemaster for my precision stuff, and a volume based drop on everything else.

Edited by mikegideon

If you are just wanting to make a bunch of blasting ammo, buy a progressive, but I think Mike gave you good advice. Spend some coin and get a Dillon.

We all know guys that shoot enough to justify a good progressive. I don't, so that turret fits my needs pretty well. I wouldn't try to load match quality stuff on it, but it makes great AR and pistol ammo.

We reload a LOT of 40 S&W, do it all on a single stage turret, you have to manually rotate the turret

for the next step. We reloaded close to 200 rounds a day in the week and shoot on the weekend.

It does take time, as you get into a system, it goes fast.

De prime and size a few 100,  (223, trim, bevel the mouth), Set primer on 50, charge powder on 50, set bullet on 50.

Case prep on rifle will take most of you time.

or a Hornady.  Sage advice has indeed been offered up.

Dillon just about owns that market. But there are some Hornady progressives out there. 6.8 AR uses one. He loads a LOT more ammo than me too.

I remember David suggesting a Lock'N'Load (and also had no problem with Dillon).

Me, I would go with either, some day.  For now, I have a Redding T7 Turret.  It suits my purposes just fine.

(I do have a separate press set up to decap/deprime)

Edited by R_Bert

We reload a LOT of 40 S&W, do it all on a single stage turret, you have to manually rotate the turret

for the next step. We reloaded close to 200 rounds a day in the week and shoot on the weekend.

It does take time, as you get into a system, it goes fast.

De prime and size a few 100,  (223, trim, bevel the mouth), Set primer on 50, charge powder on 50, set bullet on 50.

Case prep on rifle will take most of you time.

That Lee turret is auto indexing. It's real fast for a turret

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfOO2j0zYI [/media]

Ok, I just learned more in a 47 second video than I had grocked after about an hour and a half of off and on reading on the subject.

That machine ^ up there in the video looks like Exactly what I think I want.

I'm going to do now what I should have started off doing, checking out some YouTube.

Thanks guys for all the help thus far. You all make learning fun. :)

Well after doing even a cursory look into the Dillion, Hornady and RCBS progressives I think I'm starting to (barely) see the light.

I'm still not sure why the Lee is at the bottom of the pile, but being a firm believer that one gets what they pay for, its easy to guess there must be a world of difference between the Lee and the others.

Ok, real stupid question, I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse so here it is.

How much sense does it make to buy both the Lee progressive, AND a single stage?

Reasoning being it seems I'd have both worlds covered easily. Use the progressive to crank out bulk plinking rounds, use the single stage to build higher quality stuff. I know it sounds dumb, even as I type this I hesitate to even go there. I guess I just need to know WHY the LP is so lowly so I can just move on. Maybe David will come along and say.

Anyway, lets put aside brand and model for just a quick second.

To change topics just a bit, what are some opinions about progressive vs turret vs single stage for someone just getting started? The looking around I've done so far seems to say that opinions are devided. On one hand I can see the benefit to doing it single stage and walking through the process a bit slower. On the other hand it also doesn't seem like a bad idea to automatize as much as the process as possible in the interest of minimizing operator error.

Thanks guys for all the answers and advise so far. The terrible thing is I'll probably end up buying the turret press Mike recommended. I don't know why, but I can see the writing on the wall.

I think everybody needs to own a single stage press, no matter what. Nothing wrong with picking one up along with a turret. When it comes to turret vs progressive, you can crank out hundreds of rounds a week with an auto-indexing turret. If you need to get that up to a thousand, you should pop for a real progressive. 

As has been mentioned above, a progressive is an awful lot to keep an eye on if you're green! I started with a Lyman turret press and pretty well had it all down before ever getting near a progressive press and then I placed bullets for a buddy while he ran his Dillon progressive for 2,000 rounds or more before I actually ran it myself. I thought after watching him do the same thing over and over that I would have no problems but when I jumped behind the wheel I realized that he was doing a heck of a lot more than placing a case and pulling a handle. You're watching to make sure a primer feeds, a primer gets pressed in, powder dispensed, powder level, primer level ect... all at once and every time you pull the handle. Not to mention you learn best to gauge what feels right and what feels wrong on a single stage or turret because if something feels off, you know it was the sizing die or seating die or what ever it may be because there's only one die in play at the time. Knowing what each die should feel like or what each feels like when something is wrong on it's own will come in real handy when you have 4 or more stations in play at the same time. I'm going to be picking up my Christmas present soon which is a Dillon 650 because I shoot quite a bit and cannot devote every night of the week to loading on a turret or going to use a friends press not to mention I don't know when I would do my casting and brass prep but I count my blessings that I didn't go out and buy a progressive press right from the rip. You may very well get a single stage or turret press and really do a ton of learning and loading over the next 6 months to a year and decide that you want to go ahead and buy a Dillon but by that time you will have seen what myself and others have described play out and you won't be sorry that you whent the single or turret direction first. Also like others have said, if you have or buy a rifle or handgun that you want to get the most accuracy out of, you will head back over to ol' trusty and take your time making some top notch ammo for so if you ever decide to buy a progressive don't sell your single stage to help fund it because it is not a replacement when it comes to consistent ammo. 

• Like 1

I've helped quit a few shooters learn to reload. The press that I recommend to them is the rockchucker master reloading kit. It has great leverage and will last you a lifetime. Starting with a progressive press is " IMO " is a mistake. You need to learn to feel the press and learn each of the steps first. Then go to a progressive press. Even after you've sprung the bucks for a big press like a Dillon 650 you will still go back and use your rockchucker to do a few things.

I have the Lee Loadmaster progressive, and it isn't as bad as it is made out to be. The absolute worse thing about it is the priming system. They have improved it some over some earlier models, but it still ain't perfect. An old timer gave me a tip the other day for it though. He says to buy a spare bullet seating die, take the seating plug out of it and put it in the priming station hole so it basically acts as a guide to keep the shell in place when the priming rod inserts the primer. I haven't tried that yet though. You can also leave out whatever station you want in the lee. For example for .223 I just leave out the first three stations, and just seat and crimp in the last two stations. That saves a little time over just a single stage. I also have a rockchucker that I do all other rifle rounds with, mostly just pistol in the lee progressive, and it works just fine for the money.