Recent trip to Gunny's

A.J. Holst

Hadn't shot there in years and I needed to shoot my new-to-me CZ SDP.

Arrive around 2pm, not too many cars parked, good sign, should be lanes open.

Enter the showroom, wow, they have really scaled back their accessories!

Gentleman at the counter greets me, is professional, quick service.

Fees are $15 for all day, $+5 to add one person, + $5 to add another person, 3 people per lane max

Their bulk target is the B-29, $1.00 including tax. I brought my own ammo, so didn't even look at their prices or what was available.

Heading to the range, I viewed their handguns, small selection and prices appeared higher than at other LGSs I buy from.

Range is well light, clean, great ventilation and climate control. They do allow rifle and shotgun, I saw the sign "no slugs" but did not inquire to largest rifle caliber allowed.

Spent about 2 hours and had a great time.

Upon exiting, I mentioned to the two gentlemen behind the counter that I enjoyed using their facility and it was in good shape; they seemed appreciative of my feedback and asked that I come back to shoot with them again.

Next time the weather isn't co-operating and I can't go to the in-laws, I'll hit them up again.

BTW - I saw a sign that said Bays Mountain Country Club has a gun range, anyone have any info on this? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read, but I have never used their facility.  My perception of them was laid many years ago.  They had the cater to only police officer mentality.  Nothing against LEO, but I have seen a many gun businesses in my day, there are LGS that you must have a PHD in for all guns before they will talk to you intelligently, there are LGS that are too busy to talk to you, there are LGS that really don't know squat, there are ones that are too proud of their inventory, and there are the ones that obviously cater to only local LEO.   I just haven't been back period.

I've been there several times and I took my HCP class there. In 2010 it seemed like they had a great selection and normal prices. When I went back in 2011 it seemed like something had changed. They had probably 50% less guns in stock and the mood seemed totally different. Good people though. Hope they make it.

Good group of guys.  Never had a problem with 'em over the past 4-5 yrs.  Hard to fairly compare prices with other LGS; I do the yearly membership thing, get to purchase one handgun at dealer cost per yr. and all the range time I care for.  5 min. from my office, so I can go shoot on lunch hour if I want.  Pretty sure women still get to shoot free on Sundays.

1st experience was crappy and it was a few weeks after they had opened. My dad and I wanted to shoot and brought all of our stuff along with us including ammo like we always do. Gunny's says no steel case ammo (which is BS) and they wanted to see what we had for ammo. After waiting for 20min to be acknowledged that we were there, they hassled my dad over Wolf ammo that was brass. Told him he couldn't shoot it because Wolf doesn't make brass ammo. Even when we showed him it was true brass 147gr ammo when the guy saw the head stamp of Wolf he said we can't shoot it because it's a steel case not brass. Even the box said brass on it and they didn't want to believe us. Of course they offered their expensive ammo up to replace it. Total crap and hassle from the guys there so we just grabbed our stuff and walked out.  

A year or so later we went back. No hassle and used the range. We've been back there a few more times over the years with out any incidents. Still won't buy anything from them except the range time.

Here's a side note for you who don't know, which is more than likely everyone on here.......Gunny's used to be a grocery store called Water's Market. I worked there when I was 16 and used to bag ice in the basement where the range is. The meat department used to be back where the class rooms are in the back and the produce section used to be along the right side of the wall when you walk in.......I still chuckle at the fun I had in that building almost 20yrs ago at the age of 16.........even funnier is when I was 20, I rented the upstairs apartment of the brick house beside Gunny's......lots of history in that area for me. :pleased:   Anyone else possibly work or even been in Waters Market?? :cool:

Edited by kwe45919
Ownership of gunny's changed a few years ago. I knew the previous owners, and also know the new owners. I went in there yesterday with my dad around 1pm, and I agree that it has definitely scaled back on the merchandise. I was looking at one of the .380's for my wife and one of the associates that I do not know said I should look at a different caliber because the ammo is so hard to find. I explained that I had just picked up some from Dick's and he seemed surprise.

Just gotta chime in....

On motorcycle, day trip, way, way out of my way to get there and twice, I saw what has to be the smallest selection of handguns in East Tennessee. OK place to shoot I suppose but as a gun store? You must get to Bill's Outpost just a few miles away. It blows these guys away by a factor of 50 at least! Also, Stars and Stripes...you better crank up the printing press or take out a loan. Their prices are beyond Gander Mountain.

What you are seeing is a result of this booming economy. They are scaling back and soon, will not be there.

1st experience was crappy and it was a few weeks after they had opened. My dad and I wanted to shoot and brought all of our stuff along with us including ammo like we always do. Gunny's says no steel case ammo (which is BS) and they wanted to see what we had for ammo. After waiting for 20min to be acknowledged that we were there, they hassled my dad over Wolf ammo that was brass. Told him he couldn't shoot it because Wolf doesn't make brass ammo. Even when we showed him it was true brass 147gr ammo when the guy saw the head stamp of Wolf he said we can't shoot it because it's a steel case not brass. Even the box said brass on it and they didn't want to believe us. Of course they offered their expensive ammo up to replace it. Total crap and hassle from the guys there so we just grabbed our stuff and walked out.  

A year or so later we went back. No hassle and used the range. We've been back there a few more times over the years with out any incidents. Still won't buy anything from them except the range time.

Here's a side note for you who don't know, which is more than likely everyone on here.......Gunny's used to be a grocery store called Water's Market. I worked there when I was 16 and used to bag ice in the basement where the range is. The meat department used to be back where the class rooms are in the back and the produce section used to be along the right side of the wall when you walk in.......I still chuckle at the fun I had in that building almost 20yrs ago at the age of 16.........even funnier is when I was 20, I rented the upstairs apartment of the brick house beside Gunny's......lots of history in that area for me. :pleased:   Anyone else possibly work or even been in Waters Market?? :cool:

I think my Aunt used to work there. Bobbie Walker.  She's not with us anymore. Maybe you knew her. 

I know they wouldn't let me shoot 30-06 there. Also no blackpowder. I haven't been back since I signed on at the American Legion. They have an outdoor range.

Now I can shoot anything I want up to 50 cal. and have my own key. I still may go to Gunny's sometime if I don't want to shoot in the rain.