plain or partially serrated

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1094382" timestamp="1389646472"]The rubber one feels better, but the leather one has lots of soul. Also brings a tear to Spot's eye :)[/quote] As much as I love the new bayonets, there is a soft spot in every Marines heart for an old school leather handled Ka-bar. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Admin Team

Do you have any specific reason(s) that you picked the resque/straight blade rather than curved blade?

The hawkbill type blades are great at cutting tangled lines, and if that's all you had to deal with, I'd probably go that route. The design actually improves the effectiveness of the serrations.

But, on the water I'm also concerned with people being tangled up in those lines - possibly including myself. I go with the sheepsfoot type blade of the Rescue because I find it's easier to cut through whatever without sticking someone.

It's also what I carried on a reuse team 20 years ago, so I guess there's some fond nostalgia in there, too.

Just for me, serrated blades are best when paired with a fork for eating steak.  For carry, I like a plain blade.  I used to carry a partially serrated Kershaw Scallion and all the serrations ever did were get in the way and get on my nerves when I would be trying to cut something.

The hawkbill type blades are great at cutting tangled lines, and if that's all you had to deal with, I'd probably go that route. The design actually improves the effectiveness of the serrations.

But, on the water I'm also concerned with people being tangled up in those lines - possibly including myself. I go with the sheepsfoot type blade of the Rescue because I find it's easier to cut through whatever without sticking someone.

It's also what I carried on a reuse team 20 years ago, so I guess there's some fond nostalgia in there, too.

Thank you. Good to hear from someone with a professional career in the past.

I did Google "sheepfoot blade" and found some good explanation (just like you mentioned), history behind, and use.
  • Admin Team

Thank you. Good to hear from someone with a professional career in the past.

I did Google "sheepfoot blade" and found some good explanation (just like you mentioned), history behind, and use.

Another great example of the type is the Benchmade Triage 915 series.  They can be had in a plain edge, and with the addition of both a rescue hook and a window breaker, it's a great knife.  I carry one pretty regularly.

Another great example of the type is the Benchmade Triage 915 series.  They can be had in a plain edge, and with the addition of both a rescue hook and a window breaker, it's a great knife.  I carry one pretty regularly.

That will probably be my next EDC knife.

• 1 month later...

Well, I hate to make a grown man cry but...

346okkm.jpg

Oh... I did pick up the Leatherman Crater. It's now my EDC. The blade is a little shorter than the Buck I was carrying but still long enough for my purposes and I got the one with the screwdrivers since I tend to need those about as often as I need a knife and it's often harder to find a decent screwdriver than a sharp edge.

C33T_FANNED.jpg

Edited by tnguy