I'm tired of it, sick and tired

Carry is illegal in the entire state.

Perhaps it's a difference without a distinction (or is that the other way around???) but no, carry is not illegal in Tennessee if you have an HCP; effectively no different than any other law that states something is "illegal" but for enumerated exceptions (as many laws do)

I.e., it is "illegal to commit a homicide" in this state unless the homicide is committed in the course of defending yourself at which point that  homicide is not against illegal. :shrug:

Well, in every OC/CC thread I've ever read those who insist on open carry will say that they have to get people used to it which indicates to me that they fact that people aren't "used to it" is a "problem" they believe they need to solve. That's the "problem" I'm referring to. :shrug:

I know what you're saying, but I don't think everyone that sees it as a "problem" and OCs is doing it for the purpose of trying to solve the problem.
  • Like 1
Open carry in this state is illegal.
Concealed carry in this state is illegal
An HCP is a valid defense to those charges.
Now spin that any way you want but you won’t get anything that impedes a cop from stopping you and asking to see your permit.

Who gets to decide?

The person carrying. Folks should use their discretion based on the situation. Problem is that some folks don't care to do that, then are surprised by the outcome. Might not be a big deal to carry most places, but if you walked into a Chuck E Cheese with bright shiny hand cannon strapped to your thigh it's gonna cause a stir. Not saying there should be a law against it, but just like with most other rights people don't know how to exercise them with consideration to their environment.

I was in a supermarket last year and a guy was waking around with "f**k you" written in big letters on his shirt. He has a first amendment right to free speech, but he is an idiot that needs a piano dropped on him.

Who gets to decide?

The Po-lice :)

Assuming they follow the law that is anywhere where carry itself is legal

Open carry in this state is illegal.
Concealed carry in this state is illegal
An HCP is a valid defense to those charges.
Now spin that any way you want but you won’t get anything that impedes a cop from stopping you and asking to see your permit.

My response was to the post by mikegideon. Meaning the police DO NOT get to decide if you can OC or not.  I think it was obvious to most that I meant as long as you were lawfully carrying a LEO can not lawfully tell you to CC instead of OC.

As far as being stopped and asked for a permit, that was in response to another post and I did make the distinction between other states and TN.

Your turn to spin.

My response was to the post by mikegideon. Meaning the police DO NOT get to decide if you can OC or not.  I think it was obvious to most that I meant as long as you were lawfully carrying a LEO can not lawfully tell you to CC instead of OC.

As far as being stopped and asked for a permit, that was in response to another post and I did make the distinction between other states and TN.

Your turn to spin.

I was kinda joking, and kinda not. The police can't tell you directly, but they can hint, complete with plenty of hassle. At this point in my life, I'm not against open carry at all. I'm against bad judgement. If you have an encounter with the police because of your gun, you are doing it wrong IMHO.

• Like 1

I was kinda joking, and kinda not. The police can't tell you directly, but they can hint, complete with plenty of hassle. At this point in my life, I'm not against open carry at all. I'm against bad judgement. If you have an encounter with the police because of your gun, you are doing it wrong IMHO.

Not necessarily. You can still be doing everything right and draw the unwanted attention of Officer I - don't - care -about -anyone's - constitutional -rights.

Anyone, including LEOs, can express their opinion.  But it just that, an opinion, and not the law, even if it comes from a LEO.

Anyone, including LEOs, can express their opinion.  But it just that, an opinion, and not the law, even if it comes from a LEO.

I agree. We all know the law, at least I hope so. But, encounters with LEO can range from pleasant to a huge pain in the butt, all within the law. I try not to piss the cops off during an encounter, but I wasn't always that way :).

I agree. We all know the law, at least I hope so. But, encounters with LEO can range from pleasant to a huge pain in the butt, all within the law. I try not to piss the cops off during an encounter, but I wasn't always that way :).

LOL, got ya.

I don't guess I've ever had a "confrontational" encounter with a LEO myself. Just remain calm and respectful.  

However I used to dispatch and have rode along and have seen a few less than pleasant interactions....lets just say there are some looking for a confrontation on both sides.