EAA/Tanfoglio Match 9mm?

DangerDanJD

I have been looking for a CZ SP01 for a couple months now without much luck. Recently, I came across the Tanfoglio Witness Match 9mm. 

Essentially, the Tanfoglio is a CZ clone imported by EAA. From what I read, the new model Tanfoglios, and particularly the custom tuned Match variants, are excellent shooters and many folks prefer them over their CZ counterparts. The intended use of the gun would be for accurate plinking/target and optimistically eventual use in 3gun/USPSA. I am looking for an accurate, all metal framed 9mm. I do not plan on ever carrying the weapon. Does anyone have experience with Tanfoglio, particularly the Witness Match model?

54978.jpg

Edited by DangerDanJD
Guest tangojuliet

I have been looking for a CZ SP01 for a couple months now without much luck. Recently, I came across the Tanfoglio Witness Match 9mm. 

Essentially, the Tanfoglio is a CZ clone imported by EAA. From what I read, the new model Tanfoglios, and particularly the custom tuned Match variants, are excellent shooters and many folks prefer them over their CZ counterparts. The intended use of the gun would be for accurate plinking/target and optimistically eventual use in 3gun/USPSA. I am looking for an accurate, all metal framed 9mm. I do not plan on ever carrying the weapon. Does anyone have experience with Tanfoglio, particularly the Witness Match model?

54978.jpg

the witness 10mm IT WAS BLAST !!! very light recoil for a 10mm too i would buy one :D 

we just have a standard model and I cannot recommend it enough!   It has excellent fit and finish, esp for the price point (remember, I have the regular one).  I suspect the match one is even more polished inside, and IIRC it has a better trigger system, might even be a SAO model (???).  

While close to the cz, the majority (or all?) parts do not interchange FYI.  

It is every bit as good as the CZ.   Excellent for 3 gun, I think they hold 18 or 20 rounds in 9mm and is more accurate than most shooters.  

Just be careful about the darn model variations --- everything is a witness, so it can be hard to tell which is what.  There are only a couple of target models.   Honestly, last time I looked the target model was more than 3 times the price of the regular model.   I highly recommend, unless you are very pro,  checking out the regular model first.

I am far from "very pro." The model I am looking at, the Witness Elite Match which sales for just shy of $600. It is SAO with adjustable trigger and sights, features a match grade barrel and is "tuned" by the Tanfoglio custom shop. It hold either 17+1 or 18+1 (I have seen mixed reviews on how many rounds the mag will hold). It is my understanding that Tanfoglio makes conversion kits for this gun from 22 to 10mm for around $250 per. One downside is that I believe it only comes with one mag so figure another $50 to purchase two additional magazines. Here is a pretty good review with photos: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/38472-my-new-gun-eaa-witness-elite-match-pics.html

we just have a standard model and I cannot recommend it enough!   It has excellent fit and finish, esp for the price point (remember, I have the regular one).  I suspect the match one is even more polished inside, and IIRC it has a better trigger system, might even be a SAO model (???).  

While close to the cz, the majority (or all?) parts do not interchange FYI.  

It is every bit as good as the CZ.   Excellent for 3 gun, I think they hold 18 or 20 rounds in 9mm and is more accurate than most shooters.  

Just be careful about the darn model variations --- everything is a witness, so it can be hard to tell which is what.  There are only a couple of target models.   Honestly, last time I looked the target model was more than 3 times the price of the regular model.   I highly recommend, unless you are very pro,  checking out the regular model first.

oh, that one :)

I was thinking you had an eye on the top stuff like http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-elite-gold-team/ which is over 2k MSRP...   this is one of the single action variations, most of which cost at least double.

the one you listed is a lot like mine, actually, and should be excellent for 3 gun and range fun. 

oh 50 for 2 mags... that seems right.

dunno about the eaa conversion, we have a .22 kadet cz (converted 9mm frame) which is awesome though.   Wonder if it is similar design...?

Edited by Jonnin

Shoot, top shelf for me is the $600 dollar model. That model you linked looks way to fancy for this guy. I'm guessing the 22 conversion is very similar to the kadet variant for the CZ's. As I mentioned, I was originally looking for a CZ with the thought of picked up a kadet for it down the line. I like that the Witness provides the same option of easy caliber conversions. I have read really good things about kadet accuracy and hopefully the witness conversion produces similar results. 

oh, that one :)

I was thinking you had an eye on the top stuff like http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-elite-gold-team/ which is over 2k MSRP...   this is one of the single action variations, most of which cost at least double.

the one you listed is a lot like mine, actually, and should be excellent for 3 gun and range fun. 

oh 50 for 2 mags... that seems right.

dunno about the eaa conversion, we have a .22 kadet cz (converted 9mm frame) which is awesome though.   Wonder if it is similar design...?

While I do enjoy my ribeye's and filet's, a hamburger steak has it's place too. I'm hoping the Witness turns out like one of them fancy Kobe beef hamburger steaks!

I personally haven't heard anything bad about them. Every time I see one I pick it up. Then I put it right back down again thinking to myself "a hamburger is not a steak".

While I do enjoy my ribeye's and filet's, a hamburger steak has it's place too. I'm hoping the Witness turns out like one of them fancy Kobe beef hamburger steaks!

Oh no doubt, I'm just not a big clone guy. There's most certainly some very well made clones out there though.

I completely understand that logic and honestly I would rather have a CZ 75 Shadow Target from CZ Custom shop than the Tanfoglio WItness Elite Match from Tanfoglio Custom shop. The witness is half the price of a comparable CZ and while not quite as sexy as the CZ, I hope it will end up being a good value. 

Oh no doubt, I'm just not a big clone guy. There's most certainly some very well made clones out there though.

I completely understand that logic and honestly I would rather have a CZ 75 Shadow Target from CZ Custom shop than the Tanfoglio WItness Elite Match from Tanfoglio Custom shop. The witness is half the price of a comparable CZ and while not quite as sexy as the CZ, I hope it will end up being a good value. 

My buddy has a shadow, it's VERY nice. Much like you said though, it's pricey

I own the Witness Elite Match in 10mm. These are fine guns with great triggers. There is no telling how high the price of these guns would be if made here in the US. I plan on buying more of these bargains in different calibers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Friend of mine gave me a Tanfoglio TZ75 (Series 88) that was imported from Italy, high cap 9mm with stainless barrel, guide rod, and trigger. Seems like a solid gun and shoots perfect, is very clean. I don't have much experience with these various models. I took it to the latest Murfreesboro gun show and everyone that looked at it called it a CZ even though it is not marked EAA, Witness, or CZ anywhere on it. Are the TZ models commonly known as CZ? Best I could determine it had a value of around $400 so I was asking $350. Had a dozen guys wanted to buy it but none had cash and I couldn't do a trade. Planning to post it for sale online now so would help to confirm what I have. Anybody know for sure?

The Tanfoglio's are considered clones of a gun manufactured by CZ, the CZ75.  A new Tanfoglio Witness goes for around $360-400. Looks like used TZ75's run 300-450 depending on condition. They are generally cheaper then comparable CZ's. 

Still waiting on my Witness Match to ship from Buds. 

Friend of mine gave me a Tanfoglio TZ75 (Series 88) that was imported from Italy, high cap 9mm with stainless barrel, guide rod, and trigger. Seems like a solid gun and shoots perfect, is very clean. I don't have much experience with these various models. I took it to the latest Murfreesboro gun show and everyone that looked at it called it a CZ even though it is not marked EAA, Witness, or CZ anywhere on it. Are the TZ models commonly known as CZ? Best I could determine it had a value of around $400 so I was asking $350. Had a dozen guys wanted to buy it but none had cash and I couldn't do a trade. Planning to post it for sale online now so would help to confirm what I have. Anybody know for sure?

A pic would help, but TBH there are so many models. 

If it says tanfoglio, it is NOT a CZ, for sure.   The TZ line was the (? mid 80s ?) clone of the cz75 before the line was renamed witness.  Its the same gun, just older, and possibly more collectable if it is in like new shape.  I do not know if that would change the price or not, but it *may*.  

EAA is an importer --- they stamp their logo on a variety of brands.  I suppose the TZ predates EAA as well, if it is not stamped.

Here are a few pics, hope these help...

7234051.jpg

5852617.jpg

2535310.jpg

5428133.jpg

I just posted it for sale again and listed it as a "CZ type" pistol, please let me know if this is incorrect. I am also planning to post it in TGO Classifieds as soon as David can help fix my account, which is currently stuck in a technical glitch that will not let me renew.

Pulled the trigger on this one. Should show up next week. I will post some pictures when she arrives. 

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

They make several compact 45's that have caught my eye.

I cant begin to read anything stamped on it with those, though it probably does not matter. 

The correct description, though minimal, is a "tanfoglio TZ 75 series 88" as you already said.   It is NOT a CZ.  It IS a CZ clone.  If you must add such things, call it that (cz 75 clone) and you may also mention that it is the early model of the "tanfoglio witness" series.  I think anyone looking at it will figure it out from there.

This week's Tac TV episode was about the Tanfoglio factory and their pistols. Any reservations I ever had about quality with this brand are completely out the window now. Finding upgrades and spare parts will still suck, admittedly. Turns out they have 36 pro shooters all over the world competing in all the major games. Each shooter is racking up over 100K rounds per year. According to Massimo, the owner, the factory is regularly soliciting and implementing changes based on pro shooter feedback.

This may be ancient history but; at a gunshow some 25+ years ago I picked-up an unfired Tanfoglio duo-tone CZ-clone chambered for .41 AE. No ammo so waited a week to get 3 boxes of Samson. 

First experiences at home, seemed like there were going to be some feeding issues. Got it out to the range and she pretty much ran smooth as butter from then on. I could even load 215 gr. SWC meant for a 41 Mag in the cases. Still ran fine. BUT, about 10 years into my ownership I took the gun out for Fall testing of reliability. Ran the 2 clips thru fine. Put the gun back in its rug and pretty much stored it over Winter. Here's where it got real interesting, to me.  Spring time comes. I go out with several guns. When it comes time for the .41 to do its thing, nothing! Hammer would drop but no boom. I believe I was at home when I determined it was a broken firing pin. $36 dollars and a 2 week wait from Miami Fla fixed it. I wasn't as enthused about that gun after that. Glad it wasn't a Carry gun.

Also had a CZ 75 clone Tanfoglio convertible with short slide .40 S&W barrel and 9mm longslide. 9mm functioned perfectly. .40 had a tight chamber and was very finicky about ammunition. This was some 23-24 years ago so I have no idea what quality is like now. But I trust higher dollar names as my carry pieces.

I have an elite match. I shoot it more than any other. Its a fantastic shooting pistol and 9mm is cheaper than .45. Wouldn't trade it for anything (mostly). Its extremely accurate, fast on target and has great capacity. Trigger is really good, but could be even better with some work. Eaa can get you factory mags cheaper than most aftermarket places if you just call them up. The only thing I may change on mine will be a set of grips. I've been looking at the tanfoglio "extreme series" grips. Everyone that shoots my gun raves about how well it shoots.