Changing .308 direction...I think

rugerla1

There was a lot of luck in the shot. I don't care what he won. Shooting a crow on the fly at 900 yards had some luck mixed in.

No kidding. That's why I put the smile there.

As I explained in detail, imagine the odds of the bird and the bullet in the same spot, same time at 900. You know how many deg the bullet is falling at 900. It was a once in a lifetime hit and I'm glad I was there. Sorry part for him was, match director called it a miss!

Not sure his velocity but using mine, bullet would have dropped roughly 22 ft when it hit.

Edited by Tempest455

He wasn't aiming at the crow.  It just happened to intersect.

There are several choices for long range rifle.  6.5/260 is practical.  The 6.5 swiss is used for elk hunting, so it can handle any soft target you're likely to find in CONUS.  338 Lapua Mag is excellent, if you can afford 2.50 a shot.  308 at 1K yards is pushing it with a semi, but do-able with a long action bolt gun.  The semi's just don't have enough room in the mag for the longer bullets required for consistent results.

No kidding. That's why I put the smile there.

As I explained in detail, imagine the odds of the bird and the bullet in the same spot, same time at 900. You know how many deg the bullet is falling at 900. It was a once in a lifetime hit and I'm glad I was there. Sorry part for him was, match director called it a miss!

Yeah well... I don't know why he couldn't shoot through the bird AND hit the target too :). Even though the bullet is slowing down, it's still supersonic, and the trajectory is damn near flat. If you draw a 308, 1000 yard trajectory TO SCALE, you probably can't see the shape of the arc. Figure it like this... your barrel is only up 35 MOA or so, which is roughly HALF a degree. 

Yeah well... I don't know why he couldn't shoot through the bird AND hit the target too :). Even though the bullet is slowing down, it's still supersonic, and the trajectory is damn near flat. If you draw a 308, 1000 yard trajectory TO SCALE, you probably can't see the shape of the arc. Figure it like this... your barrel is only up 35 MOA or so, which is roughly HALF a degree. 

Yep, you have to be supersonic to the target. They get a little pissed when people show up and keyhole the targets or tumble and hit the berm. Here would be a pretty close graph on a 175 SMK at that distance.

ballistic_trajectory_chart_c2769c86_zps2

Yep, you have to be supersonic to the target. They get a little pissed when people show up and keyhole the targets or tumble and hit the berm. Here would be a pretty close graph on a 175 SMK at that distance.

ballistic_trajectory_chart_c2769c86_zps2

But, the vertical scale is magnified by a factor of roughly a factor of 50. And, the shot is zeroed at 1000.

Edited by mikegideon

You can plot it however you want by changing the X & Y parameters.  My point in all this was, people often rule out .308 for long distance. It can be very accurate out to 1,000+ yards. Other calibers can do it faster, with less recoil but .308 is still a great round and more plentiful for people that don't reload.

For reading pleasure. Probably the best thread I have seen on long distance .308 shooting. Guy did a nice job.

http://forum.snipershide.com/elr-beyond-1000-yards/124215-308-1000-1178-1385-1650-1950-meters.html

You can plot it however you want by changing the X & Y parameters.  My point in all this was, people often rule out .308 for long distance. It can be very accurate out to 1,000+ yards. Other calibers can do it faster, with less recoil but .308 is still a great round and more plentiful for people that don't reload.

For reading pleasure. Probably the best thread I have seen on long distance .308 shooting. Guy did a nice job.

http://forum.snipershide.com/elr-beyond-1000-yards/124215-308-1000-1178-1385-1650-1950-meters.html

Don't have to read it. I agree. I've spent lots of time looking at the caliber too. You have lots of variables out around 1000. Some bullets handle the transonic region better than others, which actually starts earlier than the speed of sound, at around 1300ish FPS. That Federal Match load I plotted is down to 1200 at 1000. 1000 yards is a stretch until you up the juice a little.

My Grendels will be supersonic at 1000, but they're gonna do lots better at 800. 

Edited by mikegideon

I did not imply you said it was outdated. Just hear that often when you tell someone you shoot .308 at 1,000 yards. I use it because of F/TR. Only choice is .223 or .308. 

I really don't want to get my son into F open yet, I've already spent enough on him for F/TR. He needs to get a job and help Dad pay for his ammo!  :)

Now that being said, we shot once up at Thunder Valley in OH at 1,000 just for fun in really bad wind. We burned up a ton of ammo getting on target w/ the .308. Guy we were with brought a 6.5 Norma and we all were on target in 1st shot. That velocity really helped w/ the wind.

Wow, this got serious while I was gone :) Good info though. Didn't have one person seriously interested in the AR10 at the gun show. I'm not really concerned with it though. I will in the end have a nice bolt action .308 and if I get to keep the AR10 and have to wait longer, oh well. I did run into a buddy of mine though and he is interested in trading a M&P15 and a Glock 23 for it. I think that would be a great trade and get me 2 of the 3 guns I was after. Might run by his house later and check them out. All in all, if it goes back in the safe, I'm not going to feel bad AT ALL! 

I did put my hands on the Rem 700 SPS Tactical at the show. I like the grip on the Hogue stock, but would definitely change it! Wayyyyy overpriced though. They are $659 at Academy and he wanted $900 because it had a low end Bushnell scope on it. I was looking where the front of the stock meets the barrel and there was surface rust, so I didn't even call him over to ask about it.

They are $659 at Academy and he wanted $900 because it had a low end Bushnell scope on it. I was looking where the front of the stock meets the barrel and there was surface rust, so I didn't even call him over to ask about it.

They are $605 at Buds and in stock.
The VLS is $800 It has a 26" heavy barrel, laminated stock and a better finish.
My 700 sps tactical 308 honestly didn't shoot as good as my custom AR10. 700 will need new stock and trigger off the bat if you want to get serious about shooting distance with it.

Savage with accustock and accutrigger is cheaper with better results if you aren't going custom.

I took the money I was going to put in some custom work on one of my 700s and got a lothar walther barrel for my AR10. Results have been stellar.

As for shooting 1k the 308 can get there, I own a 260 and 300wm also and they make the job easier, 260 rem is IMO the perfect cartridge. (260 in AR is difficult to load VLD bullets in a mag, 308 isn't as much a challenge to load unless you are going with the berger VLD's