Drones in La Vergne

billyscott

Nothing a shotgun couldn't handle... In all seriousness, how is this not trespassing? I understand the guy wasn't actually on their property, but the drone being that low it should be considered the home owners airspace or something similar, no? Seems if it were my neighborhood I'd have called the police and told them the guy was flying it around my house and I thought he was trying to peak inside in an attempt to take pictures of my family in some perverted fashion. Pretty sure he'd gotten cuffed and maybe he'd rethink his approach. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There isn't any law that prohibits it. There's laws regarding model aircraft operating heights and proximity to airports. I'd be Leary of anyone flying randomly in a neighborhood as there's no reason to fly over any home except for a customers with the homeowners knowledge. Good tool to case a home with, to see whats behind it.... As far as operating a hobby quad flyer or rc heli remotely from 2 blocks away,or longer distance takes more skill than imaginable.
I wouldn't suggest shooting it down or making a false complaint...find the pilot and ask what's going on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I would shoot it down and say it was spying on my kids. Let them come and put me in jail or take me to court. Bet I don't lose a dime. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would be a risky move to say the least,if a person is flying fpv it would be extremely easy to prove he was innocent of any wrong doing since they are recording and could easily prove he was not spying(if he wasnt) add to that all units are equipped with gps and it makes it rather easy to find the location in which it went down and if you were caught or admit to destroying the quad you could easily be out of pocket for thousands just for the drone then throw in the legal fees and what not. I have family that owns several hundred acres with a big creek running right through the middle of their property,anyone can apparently come down the creek as they please and not be trespassing as long as they are in the water from what we've been told. I can imagine if they dont own the water that flows through their land you dont own the airspace above your property.

I know FPV is a growing hobby,and is also being implemented by realtors as well to get images and videos of properties they are selling that couldnt be achieved any other way.

Not saying I agree with it or dont,I just wouldnt shoot it down unless I was seriously concerned that the person operating it is infact up to no good and am confident enough that Im willing to bet several thousand dollars on it.

Edited by ~48_South~

[quote name="DaveTN" post="1104607" timestamp="1391264971"]I doubt that felony vandalism and discharging a firearm charge would end well for anyone; so much for your HCP. I’d hate to be a kid with an RC helicopter or plane in you guys neighborhood. biggrin.gif[/quote] Felony vandalism is pretty steep. I'd like to meet the DA who charges someone with felony vandalism while someone is flying a video recorder over a house with young kids. That would be less wise than shooting down some peeping Tom's flying camera. Either way, I'm okay with that. I'm not kidding when I say I'd shoot it down. If I have to explain that to a jury I'm certain I can articulate that I acted reasonably, as a father preventing the exploitation of his kids. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5
I agree with ground to air retaliation. It seems people are too afraid of the courts. Id simply tell the jude that I thought it was peeping into my windows for a heist or trying to look into my gradchildrens bedroom/bathroom window in which case the guy should be thankful the drone is all I shot.
  • Like 2
[quote name="~48_South~" post="1104602" timestamp="1391263755"]Would be a risky move to say the least,if a person is flying fpv it would be extremely easy to prove he was innocent of any wrong doing since they are recording and could easily prove he was not spying(if he wasnt) add to that all units are equipped with gps and it makes it rather easy to find the location in which it went down and if you were caught or admit to destroying the quad you could easily be out of pocket for thousands just for the drone then throw in the legal fees and what not. I have family that owns several hundred acres with a big creek running right through the middle of their property,anyone can apparently come down the creek as they please and not be trespassing as long as they are in the water from what we've been told. I can imagine if they dont own the water that flows through their land you dont own the airspace above your property. I know FPV is a growing hobby,and is also being implemented by realtors as well to get images and videos of properties they are selling that couldnt be achieved any other way. Not saying I agree with it or dont,I just wouldnt shoot it down unless I was seriously concerned that the person operating it is infact up to no good and am confident enough that Im willing to bet several thousand dollars on it.[/quote] I'm okay with that. I don't need to ask a person what their intentions are if they're sitting in a parked car outside my house, looking through the windows with binoculars. Perhaps their intentions are pure, but I'm not taking the time to find that out; I'm just gonna make it stop. Same with a peeping Tom with a camera... even worse when you think about it. I don't know what he is recording, I just know he is over my property taking photos in an area I have a reasonable expectation of privacy for myself and my kids. Good luck finding 12 people who all agree I didn't act reasonably considering the circumstances. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

We have a guy that moved into the neighborhood recently who sits out on his back deck with his laptop and flies a drone (quad) around and over our houses. To me, it's a safety issue. Me and my next door neighbor thinks he's doing it because of the number of pools in the area. We're going to have a talk with him the next time he does it. Several months ago I was goofing around on here and jokingly declared the airspace around and 200 feet above my house a "no fly zone". Now I mean it! I'm with TMF...I'll shoot it down in a heart beat!

DaveTN; there is a big difference of someone flying a model plane or helicopter that crosses the boundary's, even if equipped with a video camera. But when someone's drone seems to be interested in looking through your windows.....well, that little machine has to die! The owner of it can take me to court if he wants the remains returned!

Dave

Felony vandalism is pretty steep. I'd like to meet the DA who charges someone with felony vandalism while someone is flying a video recorder over a house with young kids. That would be less wise than shooting down some peeping Tom's flying camera. Either way, I'm okay with that. I'm not kidding when I say I'd shoot it down. If I have to explain that to a jury I'm certain I can articulate that I acted reasonably, as a father preventing the exploitation of his kids. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with ground to air retaliation. It seems people are too afraid of the courts. Id simply tell the jude that I thought it was peeping into my windows for a heist or trying to look into my gradchildrens bedroom/bathroom window in which case the guy should be thankful the drone is all I shot.

These things have cameras on them when you shoot those down they will be recovered and used as evidence. If they are coming down looking in your windows or hovering outside your kids windows you may be fine.

But if this is a guy looking at roofs as a business and the video shows that; you are probably going to be convicted of a felony.

Kids (and adults) put cameras on RC stuff all the time. You can’t shoot them down because you have kids in your house.

If vandalism is over $500 it’s a felony in this state.
[quote name="DaveTN" post="1104629" timestamp="1391267294"] These things have cameras on them when you shoot those down they will be recovered and used as evidence. If they are coming down looking in your windows or hovering outside your kids windows you may be fine. But if this is a guy looking at roofs as a business and the video shows that; you are probably going to be convicted of a felony. Kids (and adults) put cameras on RC stuff all the time. You can’t shoot them down because you have kids in your house. If vandalism is over $500 it’s a felony in this state.[/quote] Well, I don't suppose that changes anything. It's not up to me to investigate someone's intent when they're violating my privacy. I'm just going to act on the best information I know. Like I said, good luck finding 12 people who agree I didn't act reasonably based on the circumstances. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a guy that moved into the neighborhood recently who sits out on his back deck with his laptop and flies a drone (quad) around and over our houses. To me, it's a safety issue. Me and my next door neighbor thinks he's doing it because of the number of pools in the area. We're going to have a talk with him the next time he does it. Several months ago I was goofing around on here and jokingly declared the airspace around and 200 feet above my house a "no fly zone". Now I mean it! I'm with TMF...I'll shoot it down in a heart beat!

DaveTN; there is a big difference of someone flying a model plane or helicopter that crosses the boundary's, even if equipped with a video camera. But when someone's drone seems to be interested in looking through your windows.....well, that little machine has to die! The owner of it can take me to court if he wants the remains returned!

Dave

I agree, but we are talking about a story that said the most recent report was a guy looking at roofs. Unless there is evidence otherwise; that’s what he was doing. (That would be real easy to check)

So your neighbor relaxes on his deck and flies a quad. You and your other neighbor decides that since there are some pools in the area he must be a perv and you are going to shoot down his quad.

As a responding Officer I would look at the video and see what he was doing. Unless there was obvious window peeping going on I would cuff you, stuff you, and take you for a ride on a felony vandalism charge. (I doubt a quad and a camera cost less than $500.)

This is not some random person coming through the neighborhood; this is your neighbor. Observation without consent is a crime in Tennessee. You can call your local PD when he is flying and they can investigate it. I suspect that is what they would explain to you during your ride to jail.

Would you put your HCP at risk over something this stupid? I thought you were a former LEO. Does this action you are suggesting sound reasonable to you?
If the news report from last night was correct, the drone was possibly being used to take photos of people's roofs for future solicitation of services. Thinking about it now, it seems like an easier way to go about drumming up business if you're a roofer than passing out fliers on mailboxes or front doors. Photographic proof that someone's roof is damaged would probably sway more people to get their roofs fixed. I've heard that the use of drones is not legal for commercial use? I'm sure if this is how it's being used out in LaVergne that it will be a short lived experiment. Now, my roof is still fairly new so I'd be suspicious of someone doing it in my neighborhood especially over my house. If the person flying it was visible, I'd definitely confront them and tell them to move along and inform them the police have been called and are on the way. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I have or had a neighbor that also flies a Helicopter around the neighborhood here and several folks have expressed a concern over it but and a few have called the cops but by the time they arrive the chopper is already back home. My next door neighbor made a video of the helicopter cruising around his house and even in his yard. Last time the police arrived they got to view the video and asked if they could have it and he said no but handed them a dubbed copy of the video and said but you can have this one and he told the officers that next time it showed up at his house his 12 gauge would be putting it down. The police told him they would not recommend that because he could be arrested for discharging a firearm inside city limits without just cause meaning life in danger reason. They took the video back to the station and actually obtained a warrant against the owner of the toy and served it on him on invasion of Privacy, disturbing the peace and Trespassing on private property. The LEO's did a back ground check on the guy before seeking the warrant and found out this was the 4th time a complaint of a similar type had been filed against this guy. 3 of them at his former residence location. It was why he moved from Hendersonville to Gallatin. He lost his toy and the judge told him he could not have it back, fined him $500.00 and told him he was never to won another type of device or next time he would do jail time. About a month ago the guy moved to parts unknown..........

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 3

If the news report from last night was correct, the drone was possibly being used to take photos of people's roofs for future solicitation of services. Thinking about it now, it seems like an easier way to go about drumming up business if you're a roofer than passing out fliers on mailboxes or front doors. Photographic proof that someone's roof is damaged would probably sway more people to get their roofs fixed...

It is also a decent excuse for "accidentally" filming inside of houses.

DaveTN,

Not everyone lives in fear of "the boot".  Unjust laws must be broken now and again regardless of possible consequences from responding LEOs, DAs and other folks who have lost common sense.

I live in fear of nothing. I don’t fear the courts because I’m not a criminal and I don’t fear drones.

What unjust laws are you suggesting need to be broken? There is no law that keeps a legitimate businessman or a neighborhood kid from flying a drone. Are you suggesting we need to put some in place because of your unfounded fear that someone may watch you?

I live in fear of nothing. I don’t fear the courts because I’m not a criminal and I don’t fear drones.

What unjust laws are you suggesting need to be broken? There is no law that keeps a legitimate businessman or a neighborhood kid from flying a drone. Are you suggesting we need to put some in place because of your unfounded fear that someone may watch you?

For not living in fear, you sure try to scare everyone into licking the boot.  It's a recurring theme in your posts.  Pert sure I'm not the only one who has noticed.

If there  is a law that would put a person in jail for taking out a device that is invading that persons privacy then it is unjust.  Regardless  of original "intent".

Edited by sigmtnman

For not living in fear, you sure try to scare everyone into licking the boot.  It's a recurring theme in your posts.  Pert sure I'm not the only one who has noticed.

If there  is a law that would put a person in jail for taking out a device that is invading that persons privacy then it is unjust.  Regardless  of original "intent".

I’m not trying to scare anyone into anything, just pointing out the law. If you think the destruction of personal property is justified based on your unfounded fears and claims of invasion of property, then by all means go out and shoot that drone down. In the case in the OP there is nothing that implies the person was doing anything other than looking at roofs for a business.

I’m sure that the mere sight of a drone will instil panic in the hearts and minds of some; fortunately not most.

Why would I care if the investigating Officer could tell the difference?  You are not getting it.

I think I get it now...maybe. You don’t really care if the person is invading your privacy. You just think you get to shoot down any RC aircraft in the neighborhood that crosses you property line?