Drones in La Vergne

billyscott

[quote name="DaveTN" post="1104729" timestamp="1391278850"]TMF….. You are ratcheting this up several notches above what it is. We were discussing a story where a drone was over Smyrna and the operator said he was checking roofs because that was his business. My point was that a simple viewing of the video will prove or disprove that. Or Dave and his neighbor making the decision his other neighbor must be a pervert for flying a quad around the neighborhood simply because there are pools in the area. He thinks he is justified in shooting it down. Again, a viewing of the video will prove or disprove that. If you see an aircraft obviously looking in your windows; do what you have to do. But to say that you would start shooting at anything flying around simply because you think it may be viewing your family is ridiculous. Being arrested for a criminal act against an innocent person or their property isn’t protecting your family; quite the opposite.[/quote] No, I think you miss the point completely. So what he is checking roof tops? That isn't for me to immediately know. It is an intrusion into my family's privacy to fly into my yard with a recorder going. The only difference between this and someone entering my property with a camera running is actual trespassing. We can sit here and debate what trespassing is or isn't, but the act of willfully breaching my privacy remains and I'm not inclined to immediately believe the person isn't a peeping Tom; same as if someone is in my bushes looking through my windows. He may be a tree trimmer for all I know, looking to get work sculpting thr hedges. Don't matter, I'm still gonna beat his ass bloody. In some places that is aggravated assault. To me that is protecting my family. I don't much care what anyone says, law or otherwise. I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do to protect my family when I see a clear and present violation of them. You're convinced that means the world will end, as I'd be tossed in jail with a felony charge. That may be, but if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd say I'm gonna walk away from it fine. And really, I'm not upping anything a notch. It is clear that there was much concern over this since so many people called the police and the police chief wanted information regarding it. To me that tells me the kind of flying this guy was doing. It isn't on the residents to immediately assume that this guy is inspecting roof tops. Perhaps it turned out that way, but what matters in court is whether you acted reasonably with what you knew. The only thing I would know at the time is that there is a peeping Tom attempting to exploit my kids. If it turns out to be different, oh well I guess. Not my problem. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name="DaveTN" post="1104757" timestamp="1391282821"]Folks can fight this technology all they want; but it is going to happen. The FAA has already authorized drone testing and when technology companies chomping at the bit to use this technology and open new markets; I’m sure Congress will be pressured to speed the FAA up. It will open up new markets with tens of thousands (if not more) jobs waiting. That’s a big incentive. There are already laws banning the neighborhood pervert from looking in your windows with his UAV. And with everything on video; it’s pretty easy to enforce. We shouldn’t miss out on this technology because someone can abuse it any more than our guns should be banned because someone walked into a school and shot a bunch of kids. biggrin.gif [url="http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/innovation/beer-drone-faa/"]http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/innovation/beer-drone-faa/[/url][/quote] No, it isn't easy to prove squat. If this drone is just relaying the video feed to a remote control it may or may not be recording anything. In fact, what do you think the first thing a perv is going to do if they suspect they're getting approached by law enforcement? Delete. And you can be sure if their video goes to a memory card of some kind that will be encrypted and hidden where no simple beat cop or local computer forensic guy would ever have hope of finding, let alone decrypting. You seem to think pervs are all stupid and wouldn't have a cover for action. They, like most criminals think their crimes through, especially if they spent the cash on a hovering video drone. Looking at roof tops for future solicitation sounds like a great cover for action. This isn't about fighting technology, this is about violation of privacy by perverts and peeping Toms. I could care less about drones and RC aircraft. I'm just not going to have someone's camera flying around my property taking video of my wife and kids. Ain't happening ever, ever. It ain't about owning the airspace above my property. It ain't about trespassing. It ain't about just disliking technology. Anyone with a wife and young kids can understand that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2
[quote name="dralarms" post="1105008" timestamp="1391314606"]Trust me tmf, If I shoot something down there wont be enough left for csi las vegas to recover. I'll keep shootin until it's just a piece of scrap. The sob won't fly it over my property again (hypothetical of course).[/quote] I was more referring to the remote station that controlled the device. I have strong suspicions that these civilian owned devices do not record data on the actual vehicle, for a number of reasons. If they did, I am beyond certain that someone who was up to no good wouldn't have the video recorded on a device that wasnt in his control. Which goes back to what I was saying: there is no way to prove that the guy recording questionable/illegal images while flying on your property. Any evidence of that would be in the control of the operator and could be deleted or encrypted loooooong before an officer took control of it, leaving the only video evidence being innocuous footage which fit the violator's cover for action. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the best article I've read about it.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140131/NEWS01/301310149/Drone-activity-suspicious-La-Vergne

And this is what the city of La Vergne's Facebook page says about it.

https://www.facebook.com/LaVergneTN/posts/743131935767054?stream_ref=10

Apparently it was hovering at upper floor windows.

And a neighbor saw a man in a silver Corvette she thought was flying it and asked him if he was with Google Earth.

He said no he was doing roof inspections. The Corvette had Florida tags.

Something smells. 

After reading the article and now the Facebook page,I think its funny as hell,these people are In an uproar over something they don't understand. The corvette driver was probably sneaking away from his girlfriends house and the mayor says well call our lawyers on this!!! Roflmao... And people claiming that's my airspace!!!! If Voldemort reads this there's a 4th amendment issue he's sure to win with his hobby quad copter..... As long as he doesn't bring a gun..,I can just see the kaos. This is a real life south park episode unbelievable !!

On the proper side no active rc modeler would do this in a neighborhood. AMA insurance doesn't cover them. A real roofing co would get physically on the roof as pictures or video won't show everything they need without human interaction. I say kid w a toy or curious boyfriend checking on his gf in a perverse manner...tn does have Peeping tom law

TETENN. CODE ANN. § 39-13-605 (2007) UNLAWFUL PHOTOGRAPHING IN VIOLATION OF PRIVACY
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-605 (2007)
39-13-605. Unlawful photographing in violation of privacy.

(a) It is an offense for a person to knowingly photograph, or cause to be photographed an individual, when the individual is in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, without the prior effective consent of the individual, or in the case of a minor, without the prior effective consent of the minor's parent or guardian, if the photograph:

(1) Would offend or embarrass an ordinary person if such person appeared in the photograph; and

(2) Was taken for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification of the defendant.

(b) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "photograph" means any photograph or photographic reproduction, still or moving, or any videotape or live television transmission of any individual so that the individual is readily identifiable.

(c) All photographs taken in violation of this section shall be confiscated and, after their use as evidence, destroyed.

(d) (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) If the defendant disseminates or permits the dissemination of the photograph to any other person, a violation of this section is a Class E felony.
NN. CODE ANN. § 39-13-605 (2007) UNLAWFUL PHOTOGRAPHING IN VIOLATION OF PRIVACY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
[

After reading the article and now the Facebook page,I think its funny as hell,these people are In an uproar over something they don't understand. The corvette driver was probably sneaking away from his girlfriends house and the mayor says well call our lawyers on this!!! Roflmao... And people claiming that's my airspace!!!! If Voldemort reads this there's a 4th amendment issue he's sure to win with his hobby quad copter..... As long as he doesn't bring a gun..,I can just see the kaos. This is a real life south park episode unbelievable !!
No, there were multiple people who called the police, so that suggests to me that it was more than one house.Besides that, who cares who the operator is or how old he is? If they were 8 or 80 I'm still shooting the f'ing thing down if it is peeping in my windows. Why is that amusing to you or anyone else that folks would have a problem with a PEEPING TOM? Do you have a wife and children? I can't see how anyone with a wife and kids would not see this as a huge deal.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 2
No one said anything about a peeping tom. No one posted or reported a good physical description of this felony drone in action.
I've flown rc aircraft long before the contractors were hanging around rc flying fields in calif stealing ideas for what's in use in unmanned craft today. Shooting anything in a small neighborhood that scares someone that isn't in a life threatening situation, is a bad idea,and irresponsible. A hobby quad isn't life threatening.

Guys used to lose rc planes when they had radio gear failures, an untrained eye would call it in as an airliner crash when they saw it going in.

If your worried about anyone looking into your home, Close your shades. A complete stranger can stand on a sidewalk or street and shoot video of what they can see from that spot all day long without infringing on someone's curtilage.

I think the story is funny as hell but sadly reminds me of when kids playing with firecrackers are called in as a drive by shooting with machine guns is happening now! To 911....

8 year old kids fly these little electric quads like they're nothing, they're toys per my reference to age.Most adults would likely have a large more capable device at a designated flying field instead of a small neighborhood..
To quote a former president of the tn trial lawyers :
Ignorance of the law is not a good defense but you best show me the law that says you can't.

When you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1
[quote name="Dustbuster" post="1105454" timestamp="1391400067"]No one said anything about a peeping tom. No one posted or reported a good physical description of this felony drone in action. I've flown rc aircraft long before the contractors were hanging around rc flying fields in calif stealing ideas for what's in use in unmanned craft today. Shooting anything in a small neighborhood that scares someone that isn't in a life threatening situation, is a bad idea,and irresponsible. A hobby quad isn't life threatening. Guys used to lose rc planes when they had radio gear failures, an untrained eye would call it in as an airliner crash when they saw it going in. If your worried about anyone looking into your home, Close your shades. A complete stranger can stand on a sidewalk or street and shoot video of what they can see from that spot all day long without infringing on someone's curtilage. I think the story is funny as hell but sadly reminds me of when kids playing with firecrackers are called in as a drive by shooting with machine guns is happening now! To 911.... 8 year old kids fly these little electric quads like they're nothing, they're toys per my reference to age.Most adults would likely have a large more capable device at a designated flying field instead of a small neighborhood.. To quote a former president of the tn trial lawyers : Ignorance of the law is not a good defense but you best show me the law that says you can't. When you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.[/quote] You simply don't get it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll get it when someone actually gets locked up for flying a toy quad copter in public airspace. Until that point all I have seen is a lot of skepticism and tendency towards violent behavior similar to the old New England witch hunts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

I'll get it when someone actually gets locked up for flying a toy quad copter in public airspace. Until that point all I have seen is a lot of skepticism and tendency towards violent behavior similar to the old New England witch hunts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I think what we need to do is to get our own helicoptors and when we see these privacy-steeling "drones" we can use our own drones to attack them and force them down...sort of like we see in the movies when one country's fighter jets force down an airliner that has violated that country's air space! If we have cameras on our drones we can post it to YouTube and those videos would probably be a big hit!  Besides, I think a anti-helicoptor helicoptor would be a lit easier to explain to LE than firing off a 12ga in your backyard!  LOL

Edited by RobertNashville

Seems to me, by the standards set by folks on here, I should be able to shoot down a low flying Cessna over my property because I suspect they are taking photographs. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can a low flying cessna hover outside a window? 

Besides, pert sure, they would end up in trouble...

Sec. 91.119

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

I can see the headlines now. I have a secluded back yard and deck out in the country. My wife and I both go out there half dressed on occasion in the summertime. The headlines will read topless woman shoots down drone in backyard. Who is going to prosecute her for that. And I bet a case of beer she hits it on the first shot. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I can see the headlines now. I have a secluded back yard and deck out in the country. My wife and I both go out there half dressed on occasion in the summertime. The headlines will read topless woman shoots down drone in backyard. Who is going to prosecute her for that. And I bet a case of beer she hits it on the first shot. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

That's exactly what I'm talking about!!

Dave