Drones in La Vergne

billyscott

I’m not trying to scare anyone into anything, just pointing out the law. If you think the destruction of personal property is justified based on your unfounded fears and claims of invasion of property, then by all means go out and shoot that drone down. In the case in the OP there is nothing that implies the person was doing anything other than looking at roofs for a business.

I’m sure that the mere sight of a drone will instil panic in the hearts and minds of some; fortunately not most.

Then accept my apologies for thinking you were trying to scare people into not acting and waiting for the responding officer to decide and thanks for pointing out your thoughts about the law...

Then accept my apologies for thinking you were trying to scare people into not acting and waiting for the responding officer to decide and thanks for pointing out your thoughts about the law...

I’m not trying to scare people into anything, but I’m pretty sure when Dave walks out there and shoots down his neighbors quad he will be arrested. I would hate to see that happen to anyone on here; that’s why I posted my opinion on the matter. If you took that as me suggesting anyone lick anyone’s boots you are mistaken.

Missed it by a mile.

Okay, I must be a little slow; fill me in. :confused:
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1104650" timestamp="1391269345"]Well, I have or had a neighbor that also flies a Helicopter around the neighborhood here and several folks have expressed a concern over it but and a few have called the cops but by the time they arrive the chopper is already back home. My next door neighbor made a video of the helicopter cruising around his house and even in his yard. Last time the police arrived they got to view the video and asked if they could have it and he said no but handed them a dubbed copy of the video and said but you can have this one and he told the officers that next time it showed up at his house his 12 gauge would be putting it down. The police told him they would not recommend that because he could be arrested for discharging a firearm inside city limits without just cause meaning life in danger reason. They took the video back to the station and actually obtained a warrant against the owner of the toy and served it on him on invasion of Privacy, disturbing the peace and Trespassing on private property. The LEO's did a back ground check on the guy before seeking the warrant and found out this was the 4th time a complaint of a similar type had been filed against this guy. 3 of them at his former residence location. It was why he moved from Hendersonville to Gallatin. He lost his toy and the judge told him he could not have it back, fined him $500.00 and told him he was never to won another type of device or next time he would do jail time. About a month ago the guy moved to parts unknown..........[/quote] This is the best way to handle this situation. The more complaints filed the quicker this type of things will become illegal. I would definitely consider pressing charges against this guy for being a peeping tom if I caught his drone in my back yard, whether there was anything to see or not. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
RC aircraft flying in my neighborhood? Don't care. RC aircraft flying over my house? Don't care. RC aircraft outfitted with camera loitering over my property, clearly taking video? This equals peeping Tom, and an active violation of my kids' right to privacy. The next obvious step is to shoot it down. I don't care what any cop, judge, jury, congressman, president, lawyer or Internet person has to say. You use video equipment to exploit my family and I will destroy it immediately. That simple. I don't care the repercussions. That isn't the damn point here. You can damn sure bet if I found some pervert outside my house peeping in with binoculars it would be a much greater crime than vandalism I'd be committing, and somehow I'd be just peachy with that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
Well, davetn. Im glad I'm not in your jurisdiction. Sounds like you have a real interesting view on right and wrong and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Now, where im at I own my property, the lot next door and my son owns the one on the other side, im out in the country so no laws against shooting, and there would be no good reason for anyone to be flying a drone ovrr my house and loitering and filming my stuff, id be within my rights to do what I have to to protect my family. Who knows he could be someone out to get me and have an ied strapped to the stupid thing. And not knowing his intentions has me in fear of my family's protection.
  • Like 1

RC aircraft flying in my neighborhood? Don't care. RC aircraft flying over my house? Don't care. RC aircraft outfitted with camera loitering over my property, clearly taking video? This equals peeping Tom, and an active violation of my kids' right to privacy. The next obvious step is to shoot it down. I don't care what any cop, judge, jury, congressman, president, lawyer or Internet person has to say. You use video equipment to exploit my family and I will destroy it immediately. That simple. I don't care the repercussions. That isn't the damn point here. You can damn sure bet if I found some pervert outside my house peeping in with binoculars it would be a much greater crime than vandalism I'd be committing, and somehow I'd be just peachy with that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TMF….. You are ratcheting this up several notches above what it is. We were discussing a story where a drone was over Smyrna and the operator said he was checking roofs because that was his business. My point was that a simple viewing of the video will prove or disprove that. Or Dave and his neighbor making the decision his other neighbor must be a pervert for flying a quad around the neighborhood simply because there are pools in the area. He thinks he is justified in shooting it down. Again, a viewing of the video will prove or disprove that.

If you see an aircraft obviously looking in your windows; do what you have to do. But to say that you would start shooting at anything flying around simply because you think it may be viewing your family is ridiculous. Being arrested for a criminal act against an innocent person or their property isn’t protecting your family; quite the opposite.
  • Like 1

Well, davetn. Im glad I'm not in your jurisdiction. Sounds like you have a real interesting view on right and wrong and we will just have to agree to disagree.

I don’t have a jurisdiction; I’m not a cop anymore. But without a doubt you and I, and obviously a few others on here have major differences in what we believe is right and wrong. I was commenting on the story we were discussing not on some made up   :bs:  where you believe your life is in danger by an improved explosive device. Really? willy_nilly.gif

If you are going to quote me please stick with the story we are discussing. Man, I don’t care if you go out and open fire on everything you see in the sky that you fear. If you think you can make a Judge or a jury of your peers believe that BS go for it.

I was not talking about the roofer. Tell you what, I don't know but one way to fix this. You wont have to worry about me replying to anything else you post because I wont see any more of your crap.

Dang man, I go from talking about a roofer using a drone to not knowing right from wrong because it could be a terrorist attack with an IED.

Some threads can change pace quick. biggrin.gif

roof checking with a drone is verboten by a roofing company according to the FAA. The only way it could be legal to "check roofs" is if the owner of a roof were checking the roof for his own personal satisfaction. Commercial use of drones is not permitted at this time for any reason. I know this because there have been cases of photography companies getting in trouble for creating videos for real estate agents on houses they have listed. Not that you might not get away with it on a single home and having the owners permission, it's no were close to being FAA compliant if your buzzing down the street looking at everyone's roof in order to make a solicitation.

Not sure who would enforce such a law breaker.

I understand using the drone to inspect a roof. The thing I have the problem with is the sob needs to get permission or its fair game. Oh and the ied was a joke, but in todays day and time you never can tell. Heck 2 guys got capped the the Walmart parking lot in Murfreesboro so nobdy can't say crap don't happen.
  • Like 1

roof checking with a drone is verboten by a roofing company according to the FAA. The only way it could be legal to "check roofs" is if the owner of a roof were checking the roof for his own personal satisfaction. Commercial use of drones is not permitted at this time for any reason. I know this because there have been cases of photography companies getting in trouble for creating videos for real estate agents on houses they have listed. Not that you might not get away with it on a single home and having the owners permission, it's no were close to being FAA compliant if your buzzing down the street looking at everyone's roof in order to make a solicitation.

Not sure who would enforce such a law breaker.

No see, that makes me think he is up to no good.

Folks can fight this technology all they want; but it is going to happen. The FAA has already authorized drone testing and when technology companies chomping at the bit to use this technology and open new markets; I’m sure Congress will be pressured to speed the FAA up. It will open up new markets with tens of thousands (if not more) jobs waiting. That’s a big incentive.

There are already laws banning the neighborhood pervert from looking in your windows with his UAV. And with everything on video; it’s pretty easy to enforce.

We shouldn’t miss out on this technology because someone can abuse it any more than our guns should be banned because someone walked into a school and shot a bunch of kids.

After all is beer delivery a bad thing? biggrin.gif
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/innovation/beer-drone-faa/

Edited by DaveTN

I agree, but we are talking about a story that said the most recent report was a guy looking at roofs. Unless there is evidence otherwise; that’s what he was doing. (That would be real easy to check)

So your neighbor relaxes on his deck and flies a quad. You and your other neighbor decides that since there are some pools in the area he must be a perv and you are going to shoot down his quad.

As a responding Officer I would look at the video and see what he was doing. Unless there was obvious window peeping going on I would cuff you, stuff you, and take you for a ride on a felony vandalism charge. (I doubt a quad and a camera cost less than $500.)

This is not some random person coming through the neighborhood; this is your neighbor. Observation without consent is a crime in Tennessee. You can call your local PD when he is flying and they can investigate it. I suspect that is what they would explain to you during your ride to jail.

Would you put your HCP at risk over something this stupid? I thought you were a former LEO. Does this action you are suggesting sound reasonable to you?

A lot of what you say is right Dave. But when he violates my privacy with his drone that's another matter, and has nothing to do with being X or current LEO or, my HCP. I'll take my chances! Sorry...It's no difference if a lot of folks shoot the neighbors dog or cat that comes in their yard, drones are no different. Yes it's against the law.....sometimes the law must be broken to get a message across.

Remember, as with all laws, when you break them, you have "Intent" and "letter of the law". Where would blowing a peeping drone out of the air fall? As far as I know (local, state and federal game laws) it's not illegal to shoot a drone on your property. I guess now new laws have to be written. I most likely would never cuff anyone for shooting a drone on their own property. However, I would advise the idiot that lost his drone that since you were flying it on someone else's property, that I would consider it a "civil matter" or he could go the prosecutors office and file charges depending what I was advised by a supervisor to do. But cuffing someone? Not likely!

PS: You keep talking about LE looking at the video. Unless his laptop is recording it, there will not be enough left of his drone to recover the video. Just the way it is!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

A lot of what you say is right Dave. But when he violates my privacy with his drone that's another matter, and has nothing to do with being X or current LEO or, my HCP. I'll take my chances! Sorry...It's no difference if a lot of folks shoot the neighbors dog or cat that comes in their yard, drones are no different. Yes it's against the law.....sometimes the law must be broken to get a message across.

So how long do we have to wait to see if your theory of the cops telling you it’s a civil matter after you blast your neighbor’s RC quad out the air, pans out? Please make video, but make sure someone besides the shooter has the video camera when they arrive. biggrin.gif

You didn’t accuse him of looking in windows. You said you and your other neighbor came to conclusion he was a perv because there are pools in the neighborhood. My next door neighbor has a pool. If I had an RC aircraft (I don’t) and I flew it across his property, and he walked out and shot it (he wouldn’t); you honestly think the cops would tell me it’s a civil situation? That might happen but after I got done laughing at them and went to see their Command Officers; I don’t think the next cops that came out would handling it the same way.

I’m all about the property rights of owners. But you don’t own the airspace above your property and unless you are accusing me of a crime; you are committing a criminal act, if you live in the city probably two.

Remember, as with all laws, when you break them, you have "Intent" and "letter of the law". Where would blowing a peeping drone out of the air fall? As far as I know (local, state and federal game laws) it's not illegal to shoot a drone or your property.

39-14-408 vandalism

I guess now new laws have to be written.

What new laws do we need? They are all in place already.

PS: You keep talking about LE looking at the video. Unless his laptop is recording it, there will not be enough left of his drone to recover the video. Just the way it is!

Maybe, but unless you put a bullet or a shotgun pellet through a memory card it will probably survive. But that’s part of the investigation
  • Like 1

You may be right Davetn, but those are chances I'm willing to take. Fly your drone around my property at window level and it's coming down. Can't shoot him out front (too many houses) in the side yard and back yard is fair game. The sum%^%$ lives in a subdivision (4 houses and about 150 yards away. He has no business flying his damn drone around my house.

No more argument on my part...

Dave

Edited by DaveS