Opinions on S&W airweights

Duck

I will be the naysayer this time around.  My wife picked out the small airweight 22 mag, and cylinder (at the front, where the ejector is) cracked after only a few boxes through it.  S&W repaired it, but in the process several other people said they had experienced the same sorts of problems.   I am sure it is a tiny % of guns that crack, but its a possible aggravation.  Its a shame too, that gun was *beautiful*.

Also the trigger pull on the entire class (not just S&W but most small revolvers) is extreme, making practice sessions very difficult when you start talking a box of ammo in one trip. 

We solved both issues with a ruger 357 gp.  A $10 spring kit fixed the trigger pull and its a steel ruger, about as tough as it gets.

Edited by Jonnin

My wife and I are senior citizens.  My wife will only shoot a revolver (and is pretty good with one).  She was one of the best shooters in her HCP class.  She carries a 649 she got about a year ago.  However, she is really having to work at hitting reliably with this small revolver.  I just had an action job done on the 649.  She is just not used to the weight of this steel revolver.  The "light" weight frames were out of the question when we were looking for a revolver for her.  She is so used to the size and weight of a K-frame revolver.  She is determined to make the 649 work.  Her home defense revolvers are all K-frames.

Yeah, I have a passing relationship with S&W snubbies.

B81B60F0CCA549EA9344628011439742.jpg

I use a systems approach to the platform. See below. I practice draw with the "Blue Gun" and live daily practice with the .22 (637). Weekly range practice with the 642 and 640. Practice with the 637 will soon cease due to the .22 becoming an obsolete cartridge due to public availability and/or exorbitant cost.

9314CC5E787D4E96BE2418A10DB75030.jpg

• 4 weeks later...