Plane Crash in West Nashville

xjsnake

A private plane has crashed in Bellevue outside of the YMCA. Plane was from Kansas and was in route to Tune airport in Nashville. NFD has said there are no survivors.

The crash happened about 4 miles from me. Kinda freaky to think about how it was probably 30 seconds from passing over my head.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/24623283/bellevue-plane-crash

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24623347/crash-reported-near-bellevue-ymca

According to news there was alight fog last night because News 5 copter was going to go up and cover the scene and soon and it went up it landed right back down because of visibility. They also said he missed the John Tune Airport and was making a turn to try it again when it went down. They credited the pilot for being able to not hit any buildings and taking any more lives. Thing I did not understand is the News had people at John Tune and they said there was no one there waiting on the people on the plane to arrive and there was only on employee at the airport at that time and the run ways were not lit. Sounds kinda strange but I am sure they will figure it out. If not they will make something up!!! 

Doug, I hate listening to reporters report about things they clearly don't understand but they still report it as if they do. When they said he "missed" the airport at Tune, they should say the aircraft was attempting an instrument approach procedure ( pilot can't see the ground because of cloud height or visibility ). The pilot flying the aircraft for one reason or another didn't see the runway the first time he attempted the approach and chose to try the approach procedure again. He was, more than likely ( [b][u]supposed to be if he was in the clouds[/u][/b] ), in Nashville's FAA radar environment and getting radar vectors back to the final approach course to land on runway 2 at John Tune. John Tune airport is what is called an uncontrolled airport. Meaning there is no FAA control tower on the field so it would be the pilots responsibility to turn on the runway lights himself by using a series of radio clicks on a very specific radio frequency. As far as having someone there for him, that's the pilots call. He would only need a ride to where ever he was staying. Sometimes rental car companies leave a car for you at a place like Tune or the airport [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-base_operator"]FBO[/url] will let you barrow their "courtesy car" if they have one. I've done both 20 or 30 times. I took a date one time for a ride in the helicopter I was flying to another city where I knew a good restaurant was and I knew the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-base_operator"]FBO[/url] ( place where I parked my flying machine and bought gas from ) would treat us like Rock Stars. Let me tell you, it was a good date night but I digress. A few things I hear reporters say that drive me F^%@#$%@! crazy are like "gunned the engine", "aborted the landing" just to name a few. It really doesn't take much effort now days for reporters to [b]not[/b] sound as stupid as they really are. Flying can be a very unforgiving and instrument flying ( where you use only your instruments to fly ) is also a skill that is very perishable if not exercised often. I'm afraid that the aircraft last night [i]could[/i] have taken on ice. When the wings and the props ice up and when the anti-ice and de-ice capabilities of the airplane are exceeded, the aircraft turns into a very expensive very fast anvil. I've been ice before in an airplane that had great de-ice and anti-ice capabilities and it still was coming down whether I wanted it to or not. Luckily we were at 15,000 feet and got out of the icing conditions when we descended to a different altitude. I feel real bad for the families loss. Edited by TerryW
  • Like 3

. Thing I did not understand is the News had people at John Tune and they said there was no one there waiting on the people on the plane to arrive and there was only on employee at the airport at that time and the run ways were not lit. Sounds kinda strange but I am sure they will figure it out.

That's not necessarily unusual. It's a fairly small airport. I've landed at Dickson before and been the only one there.

That's not necessarily unusual. It's a fairly small airport. I've landed at Dickson before and been the only one there.

That is one of my favorite things about Dickson.  Was Larry or Jeff there? Or Flash the dog?   Larry is funny.... 

That is one of my favorite things about Dickson.  Was Larry or Jeff there? Or Flash the dog?   Larry is funny.... 

Both Larry and Jeff were there at various times back when I was flying. I kinda left off it for a while. I need to get my medical done and checked out again. I plan to do that this year.

Both Larry and Jeff were there at various times back when I was flying. I kinda left off it for a while. I need to get my medical done and checked out again. I plan to do that this year.

I could set up up in a beautiful one of a kind 1948 Luscombe 8F.  110 mph on 3.5-4 gph.  Besides, the wheels are in all the right spots.   :-)

Medical from Dr. CR Smith on Lebanon rd is fantastic!   I've known him since 88 and won't trust anyone else.

• Like 1

This thread sure brought back almost disastrous memories!

Back in the 70's I was a private pilot doing my cross country as one of my final steps to obtain my commercial pilots license, I was not "instrument" rated. One of the airports I had to get my log book signed off at and refueled was the Nashville airport. I thought I would spring the bucks and fly my favorite rental, a Cardinal RG high performance jobber.

If memory serves, the cloud ceiling dropped to about 1,200 ft. with about three miles visibility as I was approaching Nashville air space and I was flying just below the cloud ceiling, when all of a sudden... These huge hills (little mountains) were in front of me, with some tall towers on the top of some of them that I could not see all of. The airport gave me my altitude and vector to enter a downwind to the runway.

Problem was, it put me well into the cloud ceiling and I was not IFR rated, had no IFR charts, never been to that airport before, had only about 80 total logged hours and scared sheetless and sweating bullets. The control tower kept asking me if I had the runway in sight and I though it was a joke, only gray white on all sides of the windows.

I finally told the control tower my experience and trouble I was having and fortunately got some "special" attention and landed safely. I really though there was a real possibility I would become a small little blob on the side of one of those little mountains that surrounded the airport.

I won't even mention the severe thunderstorm I flew through on my last leg from Little Rock back to my home base at Parks Cahokia Airfield in Cahokia, IL. Couldn't actually make out where the storm was because it was dusk and lots of scud clouds at the base. The overhead wings were flexing 90 degrees, I was bouncing around violently and couldn't even read any ADF / VOR (old technology) frequencies to dial in and go to my alternate airport(s).

Moral of the story: I was very inexperienced and "lucked out" big time. I refused to fly again for several weeks but eventually got back into the saddle again. So I can really relate on how aircraft accidents occur and what spacecial disorder, icing and bad judgment does.

I came from a long family list of pilots. One of the few times I have ever seen my dad cry was when I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and couldn't get a class 1. That day 30+ years ago we were flying rides at the Humboldt TN airport to support the local EAA chapter. I have flown with my dad thur almost anything and everything in a small airplane just to get in the air. Bad things can happen to the most experienced pilot when just one thing goes wrong. My prayers go out to the families involved. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and couldn't get a class 1.

You could still get a Third Class according to the FAA website.

"An applicant who uses insulin for the treatment of his or her diabetes may only be considered for an Authorization for a third-class airman medical certificate."

• Like 1

I came from a long family list of pilots. One of the few times I have ever seen my dad cry was when I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and couldn't get a class 1. That day 30+ years ago we were flying rides at the Humboldt TN airport to support the local EAA chapter. I have flown with my dad thur almost anything and everything in a small airplane just to get in the air. Bad things can happen to the most experienced pilot when just one thing goes wrong. My prayers go out to the families involved. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Jt, that was a tragic thing with the Turbo Commander, and my thought and prayers go out to the families.

I used to be based out of the Humbolt Airport, back in the Mr. Grady Montgomery, Charlie Chance, Owen (?) days. I was in the EAA chapter when we moved from the Jackson Airport (McKellar Field) to Humbolt. I can't remember the name of the guy and his wife that ran the airport at Humbolt. I think his first name was Bob, and he flew a Jet Commander for the company that built walk in coolers.

If you would, please PM me. I'd like to find out about folks that was there then...I moved back to Murfreesboro in Dec of '86.

[quote name="Sidewinder" post="1106368" timestamp="1391578143"]Jt, that was a tragic thing with the Turbo Commander, and my thought and prayers go out to the families. I used to be based out of the Humbolt Airport, back in the Mr. Grady Montgomery, Charlie Chance, Owen (?) days. I was in the EAA chapter when we moved from the Jackson Airport (McKellar Field) to Humbolt. I can't remember the name of the guy and his wife that ran the airport at Humbolt. I think his first name was Bob, and he flew a Jet Commander for the company that built walk in coolers. If you would, please PM me. I'd like to find out about folks that was there then...I moved back to Murfreesboro in Dec of '86.[/quote] Are you still sky writing, JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
The American Diabetes Association was working on getting the laws changed on some of the regs. I am not sure if they did. I haven't checked on any of that in 20 yrs. I might look into that when I get my kids out of college or win the lottery. Whichever comes first. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Not to thread crap, anymore than I have, sorry xjsnake. 

I don't want it to seem I have forgot about the tragic loss of this family.  

But, I hate hearing about you guys that want to fly and can't for one reason or another.