Gas tube roll pin won't come out

Lumber_Jack

Place the FSB on a wooden block, a 2x4 works well, and drill a 1/4" hole in the block under the gas tube pin area. Set the block and FSB on hard concrete surface. Make sure you are using a hardened steel roll pin punch which is not bigger than the pin. Drive it firmly with a heavy hammer. It will come out.

Find a drill bit the same size or slightly smaller. Place the cutting end on the roll pin and smack the other end with a hammer. Make sure you are wearing glasses because 5 out of 10 times the drill bit will break. If it does break then you continue to use it. You might have to use pliers to hold it to keep from smashing your fingers.

• Like 1
I've never hit a roll pin punch so hard in my life. That bitch is stuck. I soaked it in break free, and hit it with every trick in this thread, including breaking a drill bit off in the hole....didn't even budge. I'm gonna take it the Mike at LES and get the taper pin out as well. I'm tired if messing with this
I have had two that I broke punches on when I was trying to remove them, I only broke them when I was trying to remove the pins right to left. Flipped the gun over and they came right out from left to right. I assumed they were tapered because of my experience with them.
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1111809" timestamp="1392537471"]Ain't no such thing as a tapered roll pin. Not surprised you haven't ever seen one :)[/quote] Actually that's not true, I've seen and worked on some other things that have roll pins inserted in tapered holes which makes the roll pin take on a slightly tapered shape. I've also seen some roll pins which have one end chamfered or tapered to facilitate easy entry. But this is different than a typical solid tapered pin so I know what you mean.
I've worked on smiths that had 2 pins. They don't tap through. They had to come out, or "back "out" the same way they went in.

The barrel isn't grooved all the way across. So it's like having 2 plugs. But looks like 2 straight through pins.

Just FYI. Edited by Tncobra

I've worked on smiths that had 2 pins. They don't tap through. They had to come out, or "back "out" the same way they went in.

The barrel isn't grooved all the way across. So it's like having 2 plugs. But looks like 2 straight through pins.

Just FYI.

You're talking about the pins for the front sight block. They're usually tapered, and gotta come out the way they went in. This is about the gas tube roll pin, which is never tapered. There's also only one of them.

You're talking about the pins for the front sight block. They're usually tapered, and gotta come out the way they went in. This is about the gas tube roll pin, which is never tapered. There's also only one of them.

I was also thinking of the front sight block, oops. Never had a lick of trouble with the gas block roll pin

I was also thinking of the front sight block, oops. Never had a lick of trouble with the gas block roll pin

You'll have all kinds of trouble if the punch is a little too big. Ask me how I know that :). The taper pins are another story. I've had to take a Dremel to them before, and yes, I was beating on the right end.

• Like 1

You'll have all kinds of trouble if the punch is a little too big. Ask me how I know that :). The taper pins are another story. I've had to take a Dremel to them before, and yes, I was beating on the right end.

maybe I was using a punch that was too big!  I never thought of that, could have been hitting a lip in the block?  I don't know.  I couldn't get the taper pin our either (and yes I was hitting it from the correct side as well).  I put it in a vise and gave it some real, man size, smacks with a hammer....nothing.  I could have drilled out the gas tube, but the taper pin was giving me such fits, that the whole thing went to mike for disassembly.  

maybe I was using a punch that was too big!  I never thought of that, could have been hitting a lip in the block?  I don't know.  I couldn't get the taper pin our either (and yes I was hitting it from the correct side as well).  I put it in a vise and gave it some real, man size, smacks with a hammer....nothing.  I could have drilled out the gas tube, but the taper pin was giving me such fits, that the whole thing went to mike for disassembly.  

I'm pretty sure that it's a 1/16 punch for the gas tube pin. Those taper pins can be a real bear. No biggie if you're tossing the gas block. Take a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut them off flush with the block on both sides. They'll come right out. I've only had trouble with one. 

If I have one that won't come out, i put both hands on my hips and say: if you don't come out I will beat you like a child in a Chinese sweatshop!
Pin comes out w zero effort ;)

All fun aside some kroil or pb blaster may soak through and help,
If it won't come loose try heating the block w a hair dryer or heat gun on low. I've had easy and ugly. It gets ugly when it's older easy when new. I use snap on pin punches w a dead blow hammer to get the most force to the fastener. Hope any of this helps. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 2