Ok may need some help with this??

If you are concerned about your shoulder, you are making a wise move by not firing it. They have a rather hefty recoil. I'd clean it up, and buy at least a little ammunition for it just in case I ever had a need to fire it. The 7.62x54R in an inexpensive, yet formidable round, right on the heels of a 30-06 or 308.

• Like 1

The saving grace of the type 53 is that they have chrome- plated bores & will clean up & prove to be about as accurate as any of it's Soviet brethern. Suggest you find a length of pull rubber butt extension pad and/or present this Spartan weapon to a young Relative or whomever you regard as worthy of an audacious (loud) carbine that was designed to be discharged w/bayonet attached and extended for targeting purpose(s)..I can assure you the report will startle everyone nearby..The original military parent rifle had been found to be too long barreled & not especially an  efficient  use of Resources  ( forged steel) for killing opponents less than 50 meters away..A carbine designed by committee (We need Tanks , not soldiers !) was introduced to the Powers that Be @/ during the Great Patriotic War (WWII) to produce an effective short range weapon @ least expense and provide the troops with a soldier-proof  weapon .Hope you find a suitable recipient for the carbine.

I have to disagree with one of your points.  The T53's, or any Mosin variant for that matter, were never made with chrome lined bores. I think you are referring to the Arsenal 26 SKS's made by China in the 60's.

Well the burden of what to do with it is now off my shoulders. I gave it back to him after I learned that his youngest son Casey had been hoping someday his father would pass the rifle down to him. Butch called me this morning and asked if he could have it back because he found out that Casey wanted it but never would ask him straight out for it. I was more than glad to give it back to him so he could pass it down to Casey. I think he is going to take it over to Casey's home soon as he left here. Problem solved and no ones feelings hurt I hope. Thank all of you for your help in identifying the gun and it's origin. Now if I run into an opportunity to get another one I will at least have an idea what I would be getting...... :up:  :up: 

• Like 5

Let your friend know that you can get replacement parts and stocks off eBay pretty cheep. He can let his son know so if he wants to replace that stock or get the original cleaning rod.

Thanks for tat information MM, cause I think his son does have plans to restore a little along as he can afford the parts for it. Casey is not really into the firearms scene much. Like his Dad, he also does have CCW and spend a fair amount of time at the range keeping in tune with his carry weapon but wanted to take on the challenge of restoring that old rifle. Casey is pretty talented so I think he will do a good job with it. again thanks for the info.

Well the burden of what to do with it is now off my shoulders. I gave it back to him after I learned that his youngest son Casey had been hoping someday his father would pass the rifle down to him. Butch called me this morning and asked if he could have it back because he found out that Casey wanted it but never would ask him straight out for it. I was more than glad to give it back to him so he could pass it down to Casey. I think he is going to take it over to Casey's home soon as he left here. Problem solved and no ones feelings hurt I hope. Thank all of you for your help in identifying the gun and it's origin. Now if I run into an opportunity to get another one I will at least have an idea what I would be getting...... :up:  :up:

That's awesome. Good on you.

you should really think about getting a 91/30 and some ammo they are great rifles!

Not with an injured shoulder their not. ;)

I love them personally but I'll put a recoil pad on if I'm planning on shooting it extensively. I'm young and have a strong back and shoulders. Whether or not one wants to argue if they hurt, they kick like a mule.

I'm glad its going to the son. It will likely mean more to him than a collector, just get him to treat it right and shoot it often. :up: