Is Volkswagon shuttering Chattanooga VW plant?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

I was told tonight that VW was shutting the Chattanooga plant due to the vote against the Union?

True?

Is this real? I am not going to say it is because I cannot believe VW would do this. If the UAW put that much pressure on VW to shutter the plant because they did not get their way that is some BS. The UAW would not have gotten a German Style Works Councel but a UAW backed UNION which is not the same.

http://nationalreport.net/volkswagen-close-chattanooga-plant-following-anti-union-vote-state-lose-13k-jobs/

Edited by TankerHC

I call B.S. on this. A lot of the quote comes from Bernd Osterloh, head of VW’s works council, that is, one of the German Union folks. Of course he's going to bad-mouth the vote. I'm thinking Senator Corker only said those things that were true that VW management was legally constrained from saying. Additionally, outside agitation? Give me a break. The UAW from Chicago, and Obama, and the NLRB, have bigger and fatter fingers on the scales when it comes to outside influence. 

IMO, the Chatt VW employees made the right call, and after some fits and starts, and after some screaming and yelling and jumping up and down, the right thing will eventually occur.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

I call B.S. on this. A lot of the quote comes from Bernd Osterloh, head of VW’s works council, that is, one of the German Union folks. Of course he's going to bad-mouth the vote. I'm thinking Senator Corker only said those things that were true that VW management was legally constrained from saying. Additionally, outside agitation? Give me a break. The UAW from Chicago, and Obama, and the NLRB, have bigger and fatter fingers on the scales when it comes to outside influence. 

IMO, the Chatt VW employees made the right call, and after some fits and starts, and after some screaming and yelling and jumping up and down, the right thing will eventually occur.

I'm calling shenanigans as well. 

Guest TankerHC
Which is why I couldn't believe it. Friends and relatives from three different states telling me this and me saying no way. Volkswagon would move an entire plant because of that BS? First time I have seen that site. Can add that one to the list. Satire seems to be the new thing springing up everywhere. Couldn't they just leave it to Mad and Cracked? But no..now I have to check and double check. Thanks Duffle Blog!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Bro, VAG, is looking at expanding that plant to build Audis or another VW vehicle (hopefully the truck). There's no way in hell they are going to cut and run, VAG is committed to outshining toyota in the US market.  

Edited by Joseg

Bro, VAG, is looking at expanding that plant to build Audis or another VW vehicle (hopefully the truck). There's no way in hell they are going to cut and run, VAG is committed to outshining toyota in the US market.

VAG? There is a joke there, somewhere...

Again, that site is a poor attempt at satire. I just don't like vws and use any chance I get to tell em they suck... Edited by sigmtnman

Sure...come to an employment at will state with a history (especially in the automotive industry) or rejecting unions and spend a billion $ to build a plant in Chattanooga and then close it because their workers don't want a union?  When pigs sprout wings and fly would I believe that and even then I'd doubt it.

If VW was actually that stupid they wouldn't be in business.

• Like 1

VAG - Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaf or Volkswagen AG or common mistaken with Volkswagen Audi Group.. Yes, VW plans when opening that plant was to exceed toyota in sales in the US, Can they? Yes, with their current offerings, especially the TDIs. Laugh all you want, VW is making a comeback and future looks really good.. And yes I own both a VW and Audi and two nissans. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

VAG - Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaf or Volkswagen AG or common mistaken with Volkswagen Audi Group.. Yes, VW plans when opening that plant was to exceed toyota in sales in the US, Can they? Yes, with their current offerings, especially the TDIs. Laugh all you want, VW is making a comeback and future looks really good.. And yes I own both a VW and Audi and two nissans. 

I do wish them success, but they sure need to up their game from the Jetta my wife had. Our experience with that car was so bad we will never purchase another VW product ever again. 

• Like 1

I do wish them success, but they sure need to up their game from the Jetta my wife had. Our experience with that car was so bad we will never purchase another VW product ever again. 

I am just the opposite.  I had a Jetta VR6 that was a great car.  I will be in the market soon for a new car with great gas mileage and a VW TDI will be on the list to check out.  

Very, very bad experience with my wife's VW.  Same for a co-worker of mine at the same time.  My BIL was a big, big fan having owned a number of pre 90s models.  He bought his daughter a 200? jetta and declared never again.

Edited by sigmtnman

Very, very bad experience with my wife's VW. 

Ditto and ditto to the guys who said, "never again".  My wife wanted a VW for years.  She always like the look of them and I was always hesitant based on the experience of a few friends to had repeated issues with brand new cars.  As usual, if she wants something long enough she gets it.  We bought her a Passat last May.  Found a very clean, fully-optioned, low mileage previous body style model.  Had to go with the previous body style because she wanted a wagon and the latest one is sedan only.  (Besides, we pay for cars in cash so I like to buy low-mileage used).  I was told by a few VW people that having been made in Germany, it should be better quality than the new Chattanooga Passats.  She loved it for about the first 2 weeks.  I've got to admit it did have a nice interior, decent handling and a very smooth ride.  It was in the shop probably 10 times.  New key x2 ($200 but I convinced the dealer to cover it); new key docking station x1; new electronic steering lock (related to the key and security system) replaced under recall, exhaust problems twice (and any exhaust problems prevent the pressure necessary to engage the turbo which means the engine makes no power and the transmission shift points are wrong so someone calls from the side of the road because she's terrified to drive).  2 oil re-circulation pumps.  This was all in about 3 months.  It got so bad that she drove my car and I drove a different VW loaner every week because she didn't trust VW at all.  Since neither of us has time for that garbage, I found a like new 30,000 mile Honda Accord Crosstour.  She was so disgusted with the VW that she drove the Honda for about 5 minutes before telling me to go negotiate a deal and write the check.  Done.  

NEVER AGAIN!  I'm glad to see Tennessee jobs but if I want a Tennessee car I'll buy a Nissan.     

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 1

You buy used car, you don't know what the previous owner did to the car, it could have been a sludge issue that they didn't take care of and decided to off load it and let it be someone elses problem. 

BTW, i bought my wagon used and 3 months later, the oil pickup got clogged while on a trip coming back from Florida. Well turns out that the previous owner decided to do some maintenance and screwed that all up. So they must have decide to offload the problem to someone else. Luckily for me, the shop that did the fix was pretty decent and pointed it out, Dealer (Stan McNabb) and the extended warranty company can suck my balls for handling it really bad.

That's the risk you  run buying used. I just swapped in a engine into my wagon and waiting on registration and alignment to make it my daily/project car.