Stainless Wet Tumbling

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner. For anyone who's on the fence, there are a couple of coupon codes for STM floating around. "GunDudes" was the best that I could find, knocking off 5%. I ordered the Rebel tumbler kit (includes pins and Lemi-Shine - everything but the STM separator), and with the discount and $28.99 shipping, my total was $266.44. The Rebel tumbler uses the same motor as the Thumler and has some subtle upgrades. I thought it was worth it, plus the Thumler was out of stock.

Lots of people scoff at wet tumbling, but I just like to work with clean stuff. No more searching for lizard bedding or having to order case polish for a vibratory tumbler. I like it!
  • Moderators

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner. For anyone who's on the fence, there are a couple of coupon codes for STM floating around. "GunDudes" was the best that I could find, knocking off 5%. I ordered the Rebel tumbler kit (includes pins and Lemi-Shine - everything but the STM separator), and with the discount and $28.99 shipping, my total was $266.44. The Rebel tumbler uses the same motor as the Thumler and has some subtle upgrades. I thought it was worth it, plus the Thumler was out of stock.

Lots of people scoff at wet tumbling, but I just like to work with clean stuff. No more searching for lizard bedding or having to order case polish for a vibratory tumbler. I like it!

I forgot to mention the coupon, but I did use it. So I went with the separator version. How do you get by without the separator?

CZ, I don't know if you could come out tumbling other people's brass. Of course it's time consuming and the cleanup is more of a hassle compared to a vibratory tumbler. You need some counter space and a large sink, also plenty of room for drying. Or a setup to do all the separating and rinsing outside. STM recommends up to 4 hours of tumbling time for really dirty brass, so you're talking about running the machine all day just to clean 400 cases of common pistol rounds. Plus all the time involved with separating, rinsing, and cleanup. Edited by quickbiscuit

I forgot to mention the coupon, but I did use it. So I went with the separator version. How do you get by without the separator?

I have a Frankford separator. It's not the greatest design ever, but in STM's youtube video demonstrating wet tumbling, he is using a Frankford to separate. I guess that video was made before he started selling his own version.
Also I recommend to anyone decapping before tumbling. I have a cheap Lee Reloader press with a universal decapping die setup just for this, and it allows me to inspect the cases before I waste time cleaning any that are cracked or crushed. This gets the primer pocket spotlessly clean, and you don't have to worry about any residual moisture being in the primer pocket if you decap after wet tumbling. I built a tray framed up with 2x4 and a hardware cloth bottom that I can place outside in the sun for thorough drying. Just dump all the cases onto the tray after separating the pins. Some people use an oven or dehydrator to completely dry the cases, but that's a little too much work for me.

Space is not really a major issue. Do need a sink to pour out the dirty water & rinse, but for drying, I put mine in a glass casserole dish & dry with a hair dryer on Hi. Doesn't take but a few minutes to dry. You can sub most any pan for the dish. Lots of different ways to do this. Use a bit of good ole American ingenuity. Some just put 'em out in the sun to dry.....which has been in short supply lately. Also, lots of ideas on the STM website tutorials & others. I started out with a vib. tumbler & it has its own issues. Neither is for everyone.

I run a direct drive 5 gal bucket mixer. added 3 paddles tot he bucket and  sealed with rubber washers.

It will clean 1000 peices of 9mm or 500 pieces of .223 in 1 hour. Lay them in trays int eh spare bathroom with the dehumidfier going. In the morning they are dry as a bone.

Never will use dry vibe cleaning again.

video of it running

http://youtu.be/3oRy-Zy_I7Q

IMG_20130128_175431_zps33e4cce5.jpg

IMG_20130128_175517_zps0f9fcd6f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So tumbled ~1200 9mm cases. I'm pleasantly pleased with this method but did run into an issue. The week old clean brass (some of it, not all) has developed dark stains/oxidized marks. I will take and upload a picture when I can, but some of the stains are black. I don't know if this means I used too much or too little of something, didn't rinse it well enough, or didn't dry it well enough.

For rinsing I submerged the brass completely in water and let it soak for a few moments. It was still water not running.

For drying I put it in a glass dish and pulled out the blow-dryer. I think I may have been lacking in the drying department because my plastic bin that I'm keeping the brass in has a few water droplets.

Any ideas?

I rinse with running water until it runs clear, then I drop the brass in a cardboard box, close it and shake it well.(the cardboard absorbs excess moisture to a point) Open the box for a couple of days further of drying while occasionally stirring/shaking and it's ready to load.

• Moderators

I rinse with running water until it runs clear, then I drop the brass in a cardboard box, close it and shake it well.(the cardboard absorbs excess moisture to a point) Open the box for a couple of days further of drying while occasionally stirring/shaking and it's ready to load.

Warm or cold water when rinsing? I'm wondering if I used a bit too much Lemishine, I probably used 1.5 Tsp. I guess next time I will try to make sure it gets 100% dry.

Oh not much lemishine at all in my thumbler, I use around a single good drop of dish soap and a pinch of lemishine. Temp of the water rinsing doesn't seem to matter, but when filling the tumbler I generally get it as hot as I can from the faucet since that seems to help speed the process.

ya just a pinch, I have also added a few drops of dish washer spot remover, and helps with any of the spots from hard water. I also like to get the water as hot as possible to do the cleaning with. I don't use dish soap I use a general degreaser like cleaner about 1 once and works like a charm

I have been using a 12# Lortone tumbler for the past 3 years.  Bought it used off Ebay.  I load it up with a quart zip lock bag of cases (I only do 45 and 9s).  Set it on a timer for at least 4 hrs.  Sometimes let it go 8 hrs if I put a load in before work.  Nothing cleans better that I have seen.  Still using the same SS media I bought initially for $30.  I use 1 teaspoon Lemishine and about the same of Armor All Wash and Wax.  The latter rinses much easier that dawn, etc.  I rinse it off, put it in the separator, poor it into a wire basket, put it in the clothes dryer on the shoe rack for 20 minutes and it is done.  I have done thousands of rounds, the tumbler still is going strong (http://www.lortone.com/midsize_tumblers.html).  Note that the inside of the bucket should have fins or scalloped to be the most effective in tumbling.

Edited by chances R