Want to buy a handgun for home protection,,,,,Need Help

Guest AgentWilliam

I'm sorry Tower, but I have to put in my .02 on this one.

Do you know why you hear of more ND's with Glocks than with 1911's? Because the vast majority of LEO's carry Glocks, not 1911's. I'm not positive on the percentage of LEO's that carry glocks, but isn't it over like 80%? What's the percentage that carry 1911's? Of course you're going to hear about more ND's with Glocks than 1911's. And most of the ND's you hear about are with LEO's.....because they train and shoot more than anyone else. It's all in the numbers....not the guns.

Pick any 10 LEO's that you like. I will put money down that a. I can outshoot them and b. I go to the range more often than they do.

also it's a known fact that the FBI HRT has gone BACK to the 1911. why? 1. it's safer. 2. it's easier to use 3. less problems than the Glock.

why the rest of the law enforcement community went with a glock is beyond me...especially after they see what ELSE it gets them...lots of shot up LEO's..

:tinfoil:

the numbers game is NOT on your side when it comes to 1911's either.

there are probably 10 times as many 1911's in the hands of gun owners. as a whole, they put more lead down range...yet we don't see their owners shooting themselves with them.

I'm sure you guys and girls with glocks love them. hey, that's great! but to give one to a novice before they've been drilled in manual of arms is not a bright idea.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tower, I said that LEO's train and shoot more than anyone else......I was really speaking of the majority there......not you personally :tinfoil:

As for there being more 1911's in the hands of the average non-LEO gun owner.....you're probably right there. However, the majority of those gun owners don't train and shoot like LEO's do. Sure, many of them go to the range and target shoot, but they don't do the same type of high stress shooting/training that LEO's do. Most of the ND's I hear about happen with LEO's, not your average citizen gun owner. So, I still say it's all in the numbers.

The OP likes the Glock, says it feels good in his hand. I'm not telling him, yes, by all means, get the glock. I actually recommended a revolver first, as I would with any novice shooter. I think he should really shoot several different kinds of guns, like many have suggested here, before he makes his final decision. But I also think if he ends up liking the Glock best, it certainly wouldn't be a bad choice......but I'd definitely shoot a few hundred rounds with it to get used to the feel and the trigger before I put it in the nightstand drawer.

Guest Phantom6
If you go with the shotgun, stay away from the pistol grip. Very hard to learn to shoot well and the recoil is an absolute bear.

Not if you put an M-4 stock behind it.:tinfoil:

Below is a Remington 870 with factory mag extension, a Mesa Tactical LEO stock adapter complete with the over-molded Hogue pistol grip, the M-4 collapsible stock and a Mesa 6 spot side saddle. The only other addition I would suggest would be an Ergo 3 rail fore end with rubber rail covers and a tac light. All of this can be had for less than $650.00 which is about what you are going to spend on a good pistol anyway. A shotgun is the absolute best CQB firearm available to you. In your home, your pistol should be used to keep 'em off of you until you can get to your shotgun.

The firearm is only half of the equation though. No matter which firearm you settle on get training in how to protect yourself and your family in your home.

Knives008-1.jpg

Tower, I said that LEO's train and shoot more than anyone else......I was really speaking of the majority there......not you personally :tinfoil:

As for there being more 1911's in the hands of the average non-LEO gun owner.....you're probably right there. However, the majority of those gun owners don't train and shoot like LEO's do. Sure, many of them go to the range and target shoot, but they don't do the same type of high stress shooting/training that LEO's do. Most of the ND's I hear about happen with LEO's, not your average citizen gun owner. So, I still say it's all in the numbers.

The OP likes the Glock, says it feels good in his hand. I'm not telling him, yes, by all means, get the glock. I actually recommended a revolver first, as I would with any novice shooter. I think he should really shoot several different kinds of guns, like many have suggested here, before he makes his final decision. But I also think if he ends up liking the Glock best, it certainly wouldn't be a bad choice......but I'd definitely shoot a few hundred rounds with it to get used to the feel and the trigger before I put it in the nightstand drawer.

hahaha most LEO's don't do the high stress shooting that IDPA shooters do.

most leo's don't practice often enough anyway because they don't get paid to. most departments don't pay for range time or ammo..that's why they keep shooting themselves..or they shoot themselves because you have to pull the trigger to take apart a striker fired pistol. they don't clear their weapon before they pull the trigger.. anyhow..I'll stop bashing the plastic fantastic futura blasters now before someone gets a:bat:....

Edited by towerclimber37
hahaha most LEO's don't do the high stress shooting that IDPA shooters do.

most leo's don't practice often enough anyway because they don't get paid to. most departments don't pay for range time or ammo..that's why they keep shooting themselves..or they shoot themselves because you have to pull the trigger to take apart a striker fired pistol. they don't clear their weapon before they pull the trigger.. anyhow..I'll stop bashing the plastic fantastic futura blasters now before someone gets a:bat:....

I'll have to side with tower on this one--too many cops are incompetent with firearms. There are some who are fine shots and really know what they're doing, but most cops are not "gun" people and do not get enough training, much less practice. I believe it was Todd@CIS that recently posted that his department qualifies every couple months or so. This is incredible! I wish all departments would do this, but very few do. I said it before and I'll say it again--Glocks are perfectly safe IF the owner has proper training and practices routinely. If the shooter is casual toward training and gun handling practice, they need something else, cops included.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest AgentWilliam

Let me know what yall think. Since I first posted my question I have spent a lot of time in pawn shops and gun stores holding and learning what fits my situation best. I even took my wife on a few of the trips and we have narrowed it down to a gun I want everyones opinion on. It is a Taurus sub-compact millennium 9mm brand spankin new in the box for $369.

Guest Phantom6
Spend a little more and get something besides a Taurus. Taurus makes nice revolvers.....but I wouldn't trust my life to one of their autos.

I've got a PT1911 I'll put up against any other semi for reliability. As for the Millenimum series, well I've not shot one much. You didn't loose any money on the pistol though there Agent William. That's about what I sell 'em for though the MSRP on them is $419.

I can't believe no one brought up a Taurus Judge or a Thunder-Five.

Load a few chambers with .410 00shot and the others with .45 Colt.

Revolvers IMHO make the best nightstand guns. Just pull the bang button and let the lead fly. The two revolvers I mentioned combine the best of both a shotty and a revolver.

Auto loaders are fine, but are you going to leave it chambered? If not I might guess in a high stress middle of the night wake up scenario someone forgets to rack the slide.

Guest canynracer
Spend a little more and get something besides a Taurus. Taurus makes nice revolvers.....but I wouldn't trust my life to one of their autos.

Not necessarily...there are better guns, sure...but for the price range, the ,Mill PRO (3rd gen) series are decent, the 24/7 series are better and costs are close...If cost is a factor, The Taurus is not bad, and they have a lifetime warranty.

If you cant find something better used (may wanna PM Hero-Gear) Taurus isnt a bad choice.

Like I said, PM Joe at Hero-Gear and see what he has Used...I am sure he will also help you make an informed decision.

I've got a PT1911 I'll put up against any other semi for reliability.

+1

More reliable then a Kimber!

5.5 pounds and 1/2" of travel hardly qualifies as SA. The 1911 owners can probably verify this.

Well pardon me! But its still not double action.I own a 1911,and a wheel gun.The Glock trigger pull is harder then the 1911,but not as hard as the revolver.

Call it Safe Action all you want to,but I dont think classifying it double action is accurate

Guest tnmale46
Let me know what yall think. Since I first posted my question I have spent a lot of time in pawn shops and gun stores holding and learning what fits my situation best. I even took my wife on a few of the trips and we have narrowed it down to a gun I want everyones opinion on. It is a Taurus sub-compact millennium 9mm brand spankin new in the box for $369.
i have three taurus hand guns two autos and one revolver all have been flawless
Yep, your next of kin will be pleased when it is repaired for free.:wave:

- OS

+1, lifetime warranty means nothing if it costs you your life!

i think you do need a home defense handgun, but i also think it should be used to get to your shotgun. they are both a requirement. revolvers are simple and easy to learn to use. especially for your wife, if your semi-auto jams she will have to clear the failure and keep fighting. not so with the revolver, if for some reason it doesnt go bang when you pull the trigger (bad ammo?)...just keep pulling the trigger.

whatever you chose, go with quality and what feels good to you. then get proficient with it, practice regularly. then find a shotgun and do the same thing...

+1, lifetime warranty means nothing if it costs you your life!

i think you do need a home defense handgun, but i also think it should be used to get to your shotgun. they are both a requirement. revolvers are simple and easy to learn to use. especially for your wife, if your semi-auto jams she will have to clear the failure and keep fighting. not so with the revolver, if for some reason it doesnt go bang when you pull the trigger (bad ammo?)...just keep pulling the trigger.

whatever you chose, go with quality and what feels good to you. then get proficient with it, practice regularly. then find a shotgun and do the same thing...

Great advice!

Guest shortfri

My first line of defense are good dead bolts. Second is a solid white german shepard. Third is a always pissed off female cat.

I figure if they get by the first two, then live thru the third they have ninja skills and can dodge any rounds i fire, so i have a place under the bed next to the tom cat.

I've seen some good advice on weapons of choice. But in the long run the best advice you've had is find something that you both feel comfortable with. Then practice as much as your pocket will allow.

They've made a round that's called mag-safe i think. They've took the rat shot and used different size shot and made it stay contained till it enters. i've shot some of these in years gone by and highly recommened them for home defense. while they don't have the penetration of most handgun rounds they do penetrate well enough that they will do some major damage to human flesh. In todays house market i'm afraid of over penetration, i'd just as soon not let they bad guy have one of my loved ones as company on their way to the funeral home.

stay away from pepper spray. Try to get certified with freeze+p. if they aren't coked up one good dose and they'll beg you to shot them.

They've made a round that's called mag-safe i think....

Not picking nits, but sounds like you are not really overly familiar with this round? Ever looked at ballistic tests?

Anyway, I seriously disagree with using that stuff at all...you're likely to have a wounded and now seriously pissed off and more desperate BG who is likely to still be able to pummel you to death even if he's not armed.

It might well eventually kill him, but the odds of it stopping him are not heavily in your favor.

IMNSHO, no handgun hollowpoint under .44 magnum is likely to pass through a body entering anywhere near center mass (and if it should, likely wouldn't have enough steam left to be lethal) and is by far your best and safest bet.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest AgentWilliam

Someone asked how much experience I have with handguns and the answer is very little. I have only shot a few here and there but nothing serious. I am a very quick learner though and have been doing a lot of research online trying to educate myself for future purchases. I'm going to go with the Taurus because it fits my wife well and if I can get her into using it then that means I can go out and buy something more expensive later. I can tell this has already become an addiction.

Is it just me or is DeerSlayer scarry as hell. lol