Want to buy a handgun for home protection,,,,,Need Help

Guest AgentWilliam

Guest AgentWilliam

I have spent about 20-30 hours researching and going to gun shops to feel and look at various handguns. I have dismissed revolvers! THrough online research and talking with various gun salesmen I have found myself so confused about what I need or should get. I do know that I want a gun that is basic enough that my wife could easily load and shoot if I was not at home.

I have been leaning towards a 9mm

If there is anyone who has an opinion or a gun they might want to sell to help protect my family let me know.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Honest AK

I'm just getting into guns myself so keep that in mind when I give you my advice but FWIW...

I bought a used 9mm pistol for $325 and it's been fine for me to get started with. You don't necessarily have to buy something new and expensive.

With some instruction from a friend, I didn't have any problem learning how to load and operate it safely.

Of the different guns you've looked at, what is your favorite so far?

Wow I think you are going to have fun with this question.

The most basic and easiest to teach people how to shoot is a revolver. They are also great home defense guns as there is no fumbling if you pull it goes bang. You would have to decide on a caliber, the most common for HD is .38 or .357

The wide variety of autos out there is overwhelming. I would suggest you go to a range that rents guns or hook up with someone that has a collection that will let you try the different calibers styles and actions.

Your question is so vague, I dont believe you will get a single answer that you like.

May I ask why you've dismissed revolvers? They are one of the simplest handguns to handle and load......great for women that don't have much experience with a gun. Taurus even makes a 9mm revolver.

If you've got to have a semi auto in 9mm, I'd go with a Glock 19 9mm for home defense. Glocks make the simplest autos available. If .40 s&w (my favorite) might be an option for you, www.Budsgunshop.com has factory refurbished Glock 22's with night sights and two mags for $399. That's a heck of a deal.

Ok, well a good 9mm pistol IMO will probably be either a Springfield Armory XD9 or a Glock 9mm. If your budget is a little lower, take a look at the Kel-Tec PF9 or some of the Taurus line of handguns. But like others have said, if you're just starting out, I'd highly recommend a revolver. Revolvers aren't subject to limp wristing, magazine problems, or any of the other problems that are a possibility with a semi-auto. Just point it at the bad guy and keep pulling the trigger until it doesn't go bang anymore. :)

Guest m4coyote

As far as auto pistols go, I would recommend a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD9. I would also consider the fact that she will have to be able to rack the slide, and that is difficult for some women. My wife had a real problem racking the slide on the M&P 9c that I bought her, so I purchased her a light weight Smith & Wesson 638 bodyguard. She is much more comfortable loading and unloading the 638, and operates it without any problems.

Decide on your budget....personal defense is no place to cut corners. You mentioned going to a shop to get the look / feel of various weapons...great idea...once you handle one/several that turn your toes up...rent them and take them to the range. Many that look / feel great will either be ruled out or make the short list based upon how the action "feels" to you and recoil along with ease of operation and accuracy. If the "Mrs" is unfamiliar with weapons, a class would be recommended once you have made your purchase (if she would be handeling the weapon you should BOTH make the decision...she must be comfortable with it as well). Remember....the gun you choose should be based upon your confidence level with the weapon....an open-ended question such as "what would you guys recommend?", will sometimes lead to more confusion....that's why they make chocolate and vanilla...everyone is different. I prefer SIGS...some prefer Glocks...others XD's....the gun that is right for me may not be the right one for you. Good luck with your search / purchase!

For home protection the best option is not a handgun but a shotgun.

If you're dead set on a handgun then I would agree with the above and lean toward the Glock 19 or the Springfield XD-9.

Guest pjblurton

I understand your dilemma. I try to avoid asking anyone behind a gun counter "what do you recommend". Everything out of thier mouth is 100% opinion and could possibly be commission driven.

That being said, find a local range that rents handguns, take your wife and find something that you are both comfortable with and are willing to trust your lives with. Don't buy anything else.

If you aren't comfortable with it and you do not trust it completely to do its job, it is useless.

You will get alot of conjecture on this thread from those who own this type or that type of gun or brand name or caliber. They honestly believe that it is the only correct choice and it may very well be, for them...

Your on the right track by gathering information and listening to opinions at this point. Take that to a range, rent a few of your top picks and make a joint decision with your spouse and stay safe.

Good Luck!

Guest AgentWilliam

The reason that I have dismissed revolvers is because of my wife. She finds them intimidating and does not want me to get one. I know it sounds stupid. I also like the idea of being able to carry an automatic. The guns that I have held and felt comfortable with was a sub-compact glock 9mm, a S&W 9mm, and Beretta seemed to be fairly easy to load and arm.

• Administrator
The reason that I have dismissed revolvers is because of my wife. She finds them intimidating and does not want me to get one. I know it sounds stupid. I also like the idea of being able to carry an automatic. The guns that I have held and felt comfortable with was a sub-compact glock 9mm, a S&W 9mm, and Beretta seemed to be fairly easy to load and arm.

Where do you live?

If it is in the Nashville area, my wife and I or perhaps some of the other regulars, would undoubtedly be willing to meet you and yours at one of the many gun ranges nearby and let you try out a few different handguns.

Sometimes just a little "time behind the wheel" is all it takes to make a better decision.

My wife and I have several 9mm, 45ACP and .38spl handguns. I do not at present have a .40SW but that is probably a little snappier of a caliber than your wife might prefer. Women often tend to favor the softer push-like recoil of the .45ACP to the abrupt jerk of the .40SW despite the .45 being the larger caliber.

The offer is an open invitation. Just let me know. If you live elsewhere in the state, I'm sure others would gladly accommodate you just the same.

Guest Angel 24/7

I have only been shooting for about 8 months. I find I like my Tauras24/7 better than my husbands Springfield xd. I love my Bersa 380.

xdshooter goes to the meet & shoots just about every month. He is more than happy to share anything with anyone.

If this is not going to be carried on your person definitely go with a 12 or 20 guage shotgun loaded with low recoil 00 buckshot....you and the wife cant possibly miss and its super easy to use and manipulate. Unless you and her are going to practice frequently I would not recommend a handgun. If your deadset on a handgun I would rethink a revolver since they are more or less foolproof.

I just bought my first gun a year ago. I bought a revolver as a means to trade in on a semi-auto, but I love this revovler. For home defense and ease of use, you can't beat it. I have a Ruger Security Six .357, if you are not familiar it will also shoot .38 rounds as well. For home defense, I love this littel gun, and I have been looking at Glaser Blue 80gr safety ammo to keep in it at home.

As other folks have said, you need to actually fire some weapons and get a feel for what truely fits you. If you are in Nashville, or the northern part of the area, Guns and Letaher in Greenbrier has nevee let me down yet. The have gunst to test fire, indoor range, and some of the friendliest counter folks I have run into.....haven't been to Hero Gear yet though, sorry Joe.

Where do you live?

If it is in the Nashville area, my wife and I or perhaps some of the other regulars, would undoubtedly be willing to meet you and yours at one of the many gun ranges nearby and let you try out a few different handguns.

Sometimes just a little "time behind the wheel" is all it takes to make a better decision.

My wife and I have several 9mm, 45ACP and .38spl handguns. I do not at present have a .40SW but that is probably a little snappier of a caliber than your wife might prefer. Women often tend to favor the softer push-like recoil of the .45ACP to the abrupt jerk of the .40SW despite the .45 being the larger caliber.

The offer is an open invitation. Just let me know. If you live elsewhere in the state, I'm sure others would gladly accommodate you just the same.

+1 Id also be willing to meet you guys if your in the Nashville area. Making a first time purchase can be hard as there is a lot of information to digest and lots of options out there. Spending some time "behind the wheel" as Tungsten said might be your best bet. You can get a gun made of solid gold that tucks you in at night.....but that doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to use it properly and lack confidence in it. There are some ranges that have a lot of platforms you can rent and try. See what works for you and your wife.

Guest coldblackwind

Personally, for home defense, I use a double barrel sawed off to the legal length, in 12 ga. It kicks like a mule, but it's simple to use, and it will pretty much fill the room, like they said, you can't miss. As for a handgun, I'm an auto guy, but I agree, revolvers are easier to use, and less likely to fail in a pinch, you can also tend to pick them up cheaper (my charter arms .38 undercover was $300 brand new, vs my glock and beretta were both $375 used). If you want an auto handgun, and its strickly for home defense, I would go for a full size, and I personally would point you toward glock for reliability, ease of use, and lack of recoil, but thats personal preference. If you want to carry it also (I see you made mention of that earlier) then a compact would perform perfectly well for both uses. I have a glock 17 (full size 9mm), and a glock 30 (compact .45) and to tell the truth the 30 actually seems to shoot better, and has about the same recoil even being a smaller gun with a larger bullet. Depending where you are, I'm open to taking you to the range and letting you try out a few things too if you are located around the Murfreesboro, manchester, mcminnville area.

Guest bazookazilla
For home defense only, a good double barrel shotgun cut down to the legal min. barrel length. Doesn't get much easier to load and shoot than that.

You can get a Remington 970 .12 gauge for around $300 and load it with 12 pellet 00 buckshot. That the equivalent of 12 .38 caliber bullets coming out at once.