CCI Blazer Brick - $36 Delivered

All I did was follow a link posted on the S&W forums ... Completed my order and that's it

After reading around on various forums these links have been used for the past few years

It's better than paying inflated prices

The entire purpose of me making this thread was to help some locals out .... I had no idea it was "cheating" the system Edited by mcordell
I wouldn't call it cheating the system. If they have a bug in their system that let's you order something that is otherwise out of stock then it's up to them to fix the bug. My only beef with Cabelas is for the 22 ammo links in the past few months, they have canceled quite a few orders after placement with nothing but a generic "sold out" email, instead of offering to backorder and ship the product to you as soon as the next shipment arrives. I know they are normally a good company and don't have this problem for other items, but they are going to keep disappointing a lot of folks until they fix the order bug. Also, if they really do have a secret stash of 22 which is for sale but not visible on their website via normal methods, that's just plain wrong.
I ordered from them just by periodically checking the in stock status in my favorites. Something tells me that what little I know about the bug, neckbeard resellers abused it. I agree, the SW links landed me a few deals... No lie there. I'm good enough on my little stash now... I don't know why I care at this point. Guess I see a bunch of non computer internet whizzes who have false hopes when this kind of garbage goes on. I'm all for the people who actually shoot being able to get some goodies! Edited by serbu50
I just got an email from cabelas with a ups tracking number for my single brick of 22 ammo. It hasn't actually shipped yet but is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. But please note: my order was placed via a different link from SLICKDEALS.NET several days before this S&W link was posted here, so my chances of getting it while it was really in stock were better than most. Hope some of you get lucky as well, this will make me 1 for 5 in the past 4 months with cabelas, maybe it was just my turn... If I do get this brick, we will have some fun with it on TGO...
Guest PalmSlap

Allow me to educate the crotchety old men here who are cyring foul like they were kicked in the junk:   

1.   The "Checkout" Link to Cabela's is not a hack.   It is not a "backdoor" inventory system.  It is not kept under wraps by a keykeeper.  It is NOT a secret.   It has been known since atleast 2009.   Anyone can use it, including you old farts.   

2.   It doesn't allow you to buy ammo that is out of stock, but sometimes it appears they overestimate how much they are getting and sell more than they have.  This will put you on a Backorder.  But, the backorder usually results in an email with a fairly accurate ETA.    If you were to look into the link a little bit deeper before throwing your hands up in the air and complaining to Cabelas, you'd see that you too could acquire ammo after very minimal time and effort.  The only thing knee jerk reactions accomplish is a torn diaper and a set of dentures on the shag carpet.  

3.  This link is no different than using Gunbot, Wikiarms, Bulletfinder, etc, with the exception YOU have to find when its in stock versus Gunbot and its facsimiles alerting you.  Are you mean old coots familiar with these websites?   Check them out, if not.   If you are savvy enough to chat on this forum in between a bowl of oatmeal and Murder She Wrote, you are more than capable of finding the aforementioned ammo search engines.  

4.  Cabela's abhors backorders, so if you happen to call and bring up your order in backorder, they politely say "oh, let me fix that for you"....  bam.  Cancelled.   It is ALWAYS suggested to ONLY call Customer Service if you want to cancel the order.    Because it will happen regardless what you call for, even if you are simply asking if you can combine shipping with a tub of dried Prunes.  

5.  I find it humorous that you would think such a large Company like Cabelas would look deeper into an inventory system that is, well frankly the damn thing is selling ammo.    Is it not?  Now, by complaining to "the IT guy"  that his website is full of holes is akin to shooting your own foot with a .22....  haha, if you had any.   I seriously doubt the Website admin will look into a system that is doing exactly as they want to it to (which, may I remind you is to sell ammo), but IF something were to come of it and the Checkout no longer functions like it has, I would like to be the first to personally thank you for single handedly destroying the only means of buying .22 for normal blue collar/white collar 9-5 workin' sumbeetches.    We would love to go to WallyWorld or a sporting goods store after work and pick up a box of ammo, but unfortunately for us the shelves were already raped by a menacing hoard of retired old bats with electric Hoverround baskets filled with bulk rimfire ammo.  If the Link for Cabelas does get shut down, what does that accomplish for you?  Well, sadly, nothing.   Because the throngs of Rimfire seekers will now simply copy and paste the direct link of the ammo into their browser, refresh it a few times a minute, and when the website pops up the ammo as in stock they will buy and tell their cohorts "hey, Blazer in stock".     Perhaps a few minutes later, it will be up on Gunbot, letting even more people know it is in stock, then in a matter of minutes, the ammo is gone.     Exactly the same situation as now?   Indeed.  

Now, if I still have your glaucoma ridden eyes, flap your gums at this:  

The Link you are seeing is a "saved shopping cart" made by someone...  anyone...   even YOU could make this shopping cart.   Cabela's website allows you to "email" a shopping cart to a friend or yourself.   What people have come to realize is that when you email your shopping cart, it will always show in stock because the code just shows it that way.   If you click "Checkout", ONLY the ammo that is ACTUALLY in stock will remain in your cart.   If it isn't in stock or available, your cart will be empty.  Repeat until you get ammo.

If you go to the direct link of CCI Blazer on Cabela's website, it will only say IN STOCK if they have a large shipment.   The cool thing about the way the link works is that if, for some reason, an order is canceled because someone bought 5 when they are limited to one, those 4 are put back in inventory but the website won't update the "IN STOCK" icon.   So, if one were to force the checkout to happen through this link, it will snag one of those "re-stocks" from a previous illegitimate order.   That is why you see your ammo cohorts getting a box and you come up dry:   if you keep trying, as the Cabelas rep's come across greedy orders and re-stock the ordered items, you too could pick up some ammo.  

Before you come unglued and say "well poppycock, my nap is always right after my 1pm enema and smorgasbord of medication, I don't have time during the day to sit at a computer and wait", please be aware that much of the ammo frequently becomes available on weekdays around 10pm our time.   Simply tell your hospice care-giver to wake you up at 10, rub the bengay on your knuckles, and start sniffing out the in-stock ammo.

Keep at it.    You'll get the hang of it.   It takes a little bit of luck but mostly persistence.  For me, it has been the only way to get ammo so I can teach my young boys the fundamentals of proper firearm handling and marksmanship.  A reminder, the links expire after 30 days, so you have to keep emailing them to yourself or else they will stop working.   

Embrace technology and use it for good, don't sit on the plastic-covered couch and gripe and moan that you ain't getting yours.   If your beanbag is resting by your knees, flick it once or twice to remind yourself you were a man half century ago.   

Allow me to educate the crotchety old men here who are cyring foul like they were kicked in the junk ...

After suggesting that the link was somebody's saved shopping cart way back on first page, I ducked out as the thread careened wildly. Thanks for explaining how some people were actually able to get some actual ammo from it though, as I didn't grok how that could actually happen.

Even though that could prove to be your only post (I hope not), this old fart night owl quite enjoyed it, well done.

- OS

(off to fix some oatmeal and check schedule for Murder, She Wrote reruns) :) :)

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Except Cabelas told me directly that it allows one to add ammo to the cart, and check out... And when it comes back in stock... They immediately get checked out. That is directly from cabelas. So yes, it is a glitch. quote name="PalmSlap" post="1126200" timestamp="1395123962"]Allow me to educate the crotchety old men here who are cyring foul like they were kicked in the junk: 1. The "Checkout" Link to Cabela's is not a hack. It is not a "backdoor" inventory system. It is not kept under wraps by a keykeeper. It is NOT a secret. It has been known since atleast 2009. Anyone can use it, including you old farts. 2. It doesn't allow you to buy ammo that is out of stock, but sometimes it appears they overestimate how much they are getting and sell more than they have. This will put you on a Backorder. But, the backorder usually results in an email with a fairly accurate ETA. If you were to look into the link a little bit deeper before throwing your hands up in the air and complaining to Cabelas, you'd see that you too could acquire ammo after very minimal time and effort. The only thing knee jerk reactions accomplish is a torn diaper and a set of dentures on the shag carpet. 3. This link is no different than using Gunbot, Wikiarms, Bulletfinder, etc, with the exception YOU have to find when its in stock versus Gunbot and its facsimiles alerting you. Are you mean old coots familiar with these websites? Check them out, if not. If you are savvy enough to chat on this forum in between a bowl of oatmeal and Murder She Wrote, you are more than capable of finding the aforementioned ammo search engines. 4. Cabela's abhors backorders, so if you happen to call and bring up your order in backorder, they politely say "oh, let me fix that for you".... bam. Cancelled. It is ALWAYS suggested to ONLY call Customer Service if you want to cancel the order. Because it will happen regardless what you call for, even if you are simply asking if you can combine shipping with a tub of dried Prunes. 5. I find it humorous that you would think such a large Company like Cabelas would look deeper into an inventory system that is, well frankly the damn thing is selling ammo. Is it not? Now, by complaining to "the IT guy" that his website is full of holes is akin to shooting your own foot with a .22.... haha, if you had any. I seriously doubt the Website admin will look into a system that is doing exactly as they want to it to (which, may I remind you is to sell ammo), but IF something were to come of it and the Checkout no longer functions like it has, I would like to be the first to personally thank you for single handedly destroying the only means of buying .22 for normal blue collar/white collar 9-5 workin' sumbeetches. We would love to go to WallyWorld or a sporting goods store after work and pick up a box of ammo, but unfortunately for us the shelves were already raped by a menacing hoard of retired old bats with electric Hoverround baskets filled with bulk rimfire ammo. If the Link for Cabelas does get shut down, what does that accomplish for you? Well, sadly, nothing. Because the throngs of Rimfire seekers will now simply copy and paste the direct link of the ammo into their browser, refresh it a few times a minute, and when the website pops up the ammo as in stock they will buy and tell their cohorts "hey, Blazer in stock". Perhaps a few minutes later, it will be up on Gunbot, letting even more people know it is in stock, then in a matter of minutes, the ammo is gone. Exactly the same situation as now? Indeed. Now, if I still have your glaucoma ridden eyes, flap your gums at this: The Link you are seeing is a "saved shopping cart" made by someone... anyone... even YOU could make this shopping cart. Cabela's website allows you to "email" a shopping cart to a friend or yourself. What people have come to realize is that when you email your shopping cart, it will always show in stock because the code just shows it that way. If you click "Checkout", ONLY the ammo that is ACTUALLY in stock will remain in your cart. If it isn't in stock or available, your cart will be empty. Repeat until you get ammo. If you go to the direct link of CCI Blazer on Cabela's website, it will only say IN STOCK if they have a large shipment. The cool thing about the way the link works is that if, for some reason, an order is canceled because someone bought 5 when they are limited to one, those 4 are put back in inventory but the website won't update the "IN STOCK" icon. So, if one were to force the checkout to happen through this link, it will snag one of those "re-stocks" from a previous illegitimate order. That is why you see your ammo cohorts getting a box and you come up dry: if you keep trying, as the Cabelas rep's come across greedy orders and re-stock the ordered items, you too could pick up some ammo. Before you come unglued and say "well poppycock, my nap is always right after my 1pm enema and smorgasbord of medication, I don't have time during the day to sit at a computer and wait", please be aware that much of the ammo frequently becomes available on weekdays around 10pm our time. Simply tell your hospice care-giver to wake you up at 10, rub the bengay on your knuckles, and start sniffing out the in-stock ammo. Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. It takes a little bit of luck but mostly persistence. For me, it has been the only way to get ammo so I can teach my young boys the fundamentals of proper firearm handling and marksmanship. A reminder, the links expire after 30 days, so you have to keep emailing them to yourself or else they will stop working. Embrace technology and use it for good, don't sit on the plastic-covered couch and gripe and moan that you ain't getting yours. If your beanbag is resting by your knees, flick it once or twice to remind yourself you were a man half century ago. [/quote]

Well I am glad to see this took a serious left turn for the worse. And although I probably should just ban PalmSlap outright I am going to give him a vacation so he has time to poke around here to see how things work around here before posting again.

PalmSlap, after your vacation is over you are more than welcome to come back but be forewarned if you do your insults will not be tolerated for a microsecond.

• Like 1
If you strip out all the juvenile attempts at insult and humor, he seemed to make several points: 1: He claims that the special links are not a hack or bug, and this is the normal course of business desired by Cabelas. Nobody knows for sure unless you work in Cabelas' technology department and lead their web design projects, but this is highly unlikely. Any retailer would like to sell as much product as possible to as many people as possible while maximizing profit. So it stands to reason that Cabelas would prefer any 22 ammo that was available to be immediately visible and available for sale, such that it could be sold as quickly as possible. They also want customers to be treated fairly and have a fair chance at getting popular products with limited supply, which is why they limit 22 lr sales to 1 per customer per day. So they are unlikely to have designed the website to hide ammo that is otherwise available for sale, while at the same time making it available for sale via a special link or series of non-intuitive steps that only a small percentage of customers would stumble upon. So to be consistent and generate the most sales while also serving the most customers, they would need to fix the website to make all available inventory visible for sale all the time, or fix the checkout process to prevent sales of marginal inventory that is otherwise not visible and available via the normal website functions. Obviously most consumers would prefer that they don't hide marginal inventory, so it's best for them to make it always available all the time without special links or tricks, unless they had some other special reason for hiding marginal inventory or allowing the conflicting methods. 2 - He insults and makes fun of people that have a special way of getting 22 lr ammo (going to stores early and often) but then he wants the Cabelas checkout bug to remain in place so that he too can still have a special way of getting ammo. Both methods are technically available to anyone at anytime, however they are not practical or intuitive for everyone, thus each method gives a different group an advantage, and many consumers are left out of both. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that any available ammo should be for sale to everyone at fair prices with everyone having a fair chance. Thus I do not object to local stores selling what they get when they get it, and I also prefer that Cabelas fix their website to make all marginal inventory available via normal methods.

I'm not sold that it's a hack at all because i'm pretty sure I could go to the Cabelas site (not using the supplied link) and start with a fresh (empty) shopping cart and one by one add each item to my cart netting me the same cart as in the supplied "hack" link. Is there a part of this that is a "hack" that i'm missing?

Dolomite, how long is Palmslap's vacation? I'm just curious because it may take some time to soar from his current tact level all the way to a TGO acceptable tact level ;)

While Palmslap's methodology left a little to be desired, he spoke the truth... it is not a hack. and yes, you can start from the bare beginnings and create a shopping cart and email it to your self and your friends. once again, it is NOT a hack.

It's not a hack. It's a legitimate glitch.

pretty sure it's not a glitch... it is a programmed "feature" that works exactly as designed.

you might not like it, but it has been available since 2009... you might just want to learn how to use it... or not... the choice is yours.

[quote name="hhal" post="1127240" timestamp="1395286360"]pretty sure it's not a glitch... it is a programmed "feature" that works exactly as designed. you might not like it, but it has been available since 2009... you might just want to learn how to use it... or not... the choice is yours.[/quote] If Cabelas wants it to work that way then you don't need to worry about them changing it when people report it as a bug or glitch.