If you had $1000 to spend on a rifle....

Guest 70below

So, theoretically speaking.....if you had approx $1000 to spend on a rifle and could choose between a FAL, M1A, Polish Tantal + russian SKS, a PTR-91/SAR-8, M1 Garand, or ?? Why your choice?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abominable, that's an excellent question. The OP listed a few choices, all battle rifle types. I've owned at one time or another almost all of the ones he listed. I still own a FAL, an M1A, and a Garand. The FAL and the M1A can be very good choices - but a good one is going to run well over 1000. The best of the M1A's are built with GI parts; Springfield exhausted their supply some time ago. The Garand is as or more accurate than the others listed, reasonably priced good surplus ammo is available, all parts are GI, new barrels/parts are easily had. Two downsides to the Garand: Mounting a scope correctly is a pain, and you cannot top off an 8 round clip. You can eject it and load another, though. You can get or make a clip to hold 5 rounds for hunting. Finally, how many things can you think of that you'd have to shoot more than 8 times with 30-06? So considering the $ factor, the Garand is a better deal (the SKS isn't even in the running). He can get a fine rifle, a good supply of ammo (without which the M1 is still a dam' fine club), stay under budget and still hit maximum coolness factor.

I guess I posed the question because I like battle rifles and already have an AK and AR. I just want a fun high power blaster, accuracy is nice too. A Garand is high on my list and I could probably squeeze an SKS in on the budget for it too (I already have a decent supply of greek '06) I've always wanted an M1A though, and have been considering a polytech because of the forged receiver and just replace the bolt, etc. I've heard good things about the FAL and seems like it would be fun. I've had a cetme before, and I know its alot of fun, but I'd like a more reliable platform via PTR-91/SAR-8. The tantal seems like a great deal because its similar to an AK, ammo is cheap and plentiful, and you can get one for about the price of the equivalent AR upper. I could afford an SKS on top of it too.

70below, too bad you didn't make it up to one of the shoots at my place. Well, maybe when I get back sometime next year... I'll break out a Garand, an FAL, and an M1A for you to compare. Might be a tough call, each has something to recommend it.

Having owned several examples of each over many years, I would not hesitate to recommend the Garand first, the M1A second (assuming you find one with GI parts) and the FAL (DSA makes an excellent, reasonably priced example) third.

I would be willing to put a small sum on the Garand against the AK - say 300 yards, iron sights, lets say a dozen standard dinner plates as targets. First one to hit all their targets wins.

I own Ak's, AR-15,AR-10,SKS and Garands. Sold my FAL, CETME and H&K. I have

a Springfield. H&R and a Winchester Garand. I love my Garands. I have enbloc

clips for 8, 2, 5 and a SLED for single round loading. Thy are great. I had a CWO

at the AMU tell me the next time I want the best rifle out there, re-barrel one to

If you can pick up a M1A for $1000 go for it!!! You won't be disappointed! But I suspect those are few and far between.

I'd go with the Garand for all the reasons listed above. They are awesome rifles in their on right. The rest are just wannabes. They're fun to shoot and all, but really don't have the accuracy and range to hang with a Garand or a M1A.

Another option you should consider for your list is a Springfield '03.

Can't beat them either! :rofl:

If you can pick up a M1A for $1000 go for it!!! You won't be disappointed! But I suspect those are few and far between.

I'd go with the Garand for all the reasons listed above. They are awesome rifles in their on right. The rest are just wannabes. They're fun to shoot and all, but really don't have the accuracy and range to hang with a Garand or a M1A.

Another option you should consider for your list is a Springfield '03.

Can't beat them either! :rofl:

Hero Gear has one for 999.00 I looked at it and it's in great shape!!!

that's a shameless plug for an awesome gunshop...

Guest gcrookston
Hero Gear has one for 999.00 I looked at it and it's in great shape!!!

that's a shameless plug for an awesome gunshop...

I've looked at that one, too. NM op rod, feels like it's had a trigger job. It's in excellent condition. I haven't field stripped it, but I'd bet someone got into it that knew what they were doing and tuned it.

Guest Halfpint
Service grade Garand from CMP - $595 +shipping

Greek surplus 30-06 from CMP - $55/240 rd can $220 for 960 rds +shipping

Turner Saddlery sling - $45 + shipping

Easy hits in the black to 500 yards with iron sights - priceless.

Very nicely put. :usa: I agree 100%.
I've looked at that one, too. NM op rod, feels like it's had a trigger job. It's in excellent condition. I haven't field stripped it, but I'd bet someone got into it that knew what they were doing and tuned it.

That sounds like a real sweet deal! They are awesome rifles! I used to shoot one in competition when I was in the army Reserve. One of the best shooting rifles I've ever handled. Of course those were M14NM's instead of M1A's but they were basically the same, just a name change.

Very nicely put. :( I agree 100%.

Hmm, but what if he's not a member of any of the Organizations that are required to be able to purchase said rifle? BTW, I fall under this as well and yes I would be also interested in going that route..

BTW, if I have 1000, I would purchase SBR'ed AK (Krinkov) from either HDI or another dependable builder.. Hey Ammo is cheap, as well from these.. :D