Carry while Riding

Hello All,

Was wondering if there are any avid motorcycle riders here that carry, I ride and haven't been able to find the best configuration to comfortably carry my 1911 compact. I tend to go with my little LCP due to size however, it is not my preferred piece to carry. I've tried a jack ass rig but haven't been able to grow accustomed to it, normal IWB and OWB aren't fitting the bill either.

Any advice is appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I mean by fit the bill I mean with jacket, seating position and if I'm wearing chaps I am too bunched up with gear, a hip holster doesn't seem to work well without the pistol making itself visible. I've got a gun pocket but it is too deep for immediate access. The shoulder holster rig seems to be the best setup for my situation, I just need to get it to actually fit correctly. After many adjustments and seemingly the perfect adjustment the back strap seems to creep up, perhaps I slouch too much.  My bikes seating position is like a kicked back old recliner with mini apes so it's hard not to slouch.

I appreciate the input and you guys have given me, I like the look of that Bianchi with minimal bulk and still locks in, looks like it rides high too which will help. I haven't seen one before so thanks!  

I ride sportbikes, dirtbikes, motards, and touring bikes.  I honestly do not carry on the sportbike and motard most of the time due to lack of a place to put the gun.  I will not carry on my person while riding these bikes, honestly because I'm often riding aggressively and don't want to fall on the gun if I go down.  (I once broke 3 ribs because I had a dip can in my breast pocket when I went down, so I am very wary about keeping anything remotely hard on my person.)  I always carry on the touring bike but not necessarily in a location that is easily accessible.  I'm not as concerned about being able to rip off a few rounds while I'm moving as I am having a gun if I have to make a stop in a bad area or if I break down and have to hoof it somewhere, or get a ride from an ill intentioned stranger.  Your throttle should be able to get you out of any situation that would otherwise require firing, and you will be better off for it. 

As far as how to carry.  My touring suit has a nice external weatherproof breast pocket that fits my Glock 27 nicely.  Again I can't really access it with gloves on going down the road but it's there.  I have carried OWB when not wearing my touring suit or just running errands on one of the other bikes.  Never tried it but I know a couple of guys that use shoulder rigs under leathers.  I've also used a IWB clipped inside my Under Armour bottoms with a 642 in it.  I know a guy that carries a LCP clipped in a Serpa, I believe, to the top of his motorcycle boot, carries it open but it is very hard to see unless you are looking for it. 

Again I believe that most of the time that you would need a gun while on a bike would be at a stop or if you had to walk.  I stay out of cities for the most part as well though. 

... I will not carry on my person while riding these bikes, honestly because I'm often riding aggressively and don't want to fall on the gun if I go down.

Ding!

It really, REALLY hurts if you fall on a gun. I slipped and fell on a spot of ice once while carrying SOB. I didn't land squarely on the gun, but it was enough. Just a really nasty bruise but it hurt for weeks. I do not recommend SOB carry for any reason.

I've also fallen off the motorcycle a time or two. While they were relatively minor and good gear saved my hide, Having something hard right next to my body would've made things a lot worse. I empty my pockets when I ride.

I stay away from the cities as much as possible too just to avoid the riff raff. Great points about the throttle vs accessibility and it coming between you and gravity. I bet the motard is a blast! I had an f650gs and couldn't help but smile when I would take it through twistys. I'm not a speed demon but riding that thing was like being a kid again. 

I ride a XR650L (dual sport) and a Suzuki V-strom 650 (adventure) and carry OWB like any other time. I have no plans of using it while moving, it's more for when I'm stopped. My $22 Joe Rocket gloves work fine with my pistol; I've even used them as shooting gloves in colder weather. The only downside is that in cold/rainy weather my pistol is not easily accessible under my insulated suit/rain gear. 

Qtip, nice bikes. I do enjoy the dual sport world but am without my F650gs as something had to go to help with the bills. I'll be looking at a KLR for a replacement when the time is right.
The belly band thing could work or one of the shirts with a side holster. I worry more about security than anything. Don't wanna lose anything on the road. I saw a flyer a couple of years ago where a guy went down and lost his piece. He had a lost flier posted to see if anyone found it. I don't wanna be that guy fer sure.
I ride a Street Bob, bought a leather vest with breast pockets to accommodate a .38 or G-26 in a DeSantis holster. Sometimes I'll wear a long shirt and carry OWB. The furthest I've ridden is ATL and it was no issue carrying either way. Good belt/holster makes a difference.
I ride dual sports and dirt bikes frequently. My sidearm usually matches the type of ride i plan on taking. When aggressively riding I usually choose a pocket pistol. A ruger LCP in a Remora will fit inside the cargo pocket of my off-road and dual sport gear. Today we rode some awesome trails in an area of Grundy county that has a tough reputation and I wouldn't leave home without a pistol and spare magazine. The nice thing about small pistols and pocket holsters when anticipating rain or creek crossings is that both will fit in a small ziplock bag in your pocket.

I typically carry in the 4:30-5:00 position and rarely have any issues. My father and I typically buy and sell several handfuls of bikes per year so I get to put miles on a lot of different bikes and carrying in that position seems to work most of the time for me. This winter is the first in several that we didn't buy up stock so i'm not sure what i'll ride this season but i'm sure i'll come up with something. BTW my carry is a full size M&P