Mid-Tenn October Meet & Shoot -- Sunday, Oct 19th, 2008.

RSVP using this poll.  

15 members have voted

1. 1. RSVP using this poll.

• I will be there.
    • I will be there with guest(s).

Wow, I missed all the drama.. Hmm, someone had a badge, interesting.. Well, I'm happy y'all got to shoot and have fun, I'm still working on getting rid of this stupid head cold (I just love the cold weather:sick:)

So where's the next one going to be held?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tungsten asked that one about tha badge, it was pretty funny. He even pulled it up so everyone could see what it said. I tried to get Angel to take a pic of him but our batteries were dead.

Anyway I had alot of fun, didn't mingle much but had fun where i was at. Acually was a little uneasy about leaveing my guns unattended with the Natzies around, plus I had the wife & boy with me.

Maybe Sunday is not sutch a good idea???

Guest clutepc
Tungsten asked that one about tha badge, it was pretty funny. He even pulled it up so everyone could see what it said.

:D

If I ever see one of those things he's getting one for Christmas..:P

• Administrator

Who, me? :P

I figured that George had given us more than enough grief for the day so asking the other RO about his badge was just a small way of saying thanks to them all for giving us the free rectal exams. The guy actually looked at the dirt when I asked him what department he was with. :D

Man he was strutting around that place like a cowboy ready to shoot someone (sorry, had to) with the badge and his 1911 rig set up for weak-side draw. When Dan and George were telling each other how nice the other looked, HCP Badge Guy was hovering on the periphery the entire time. Just in case a cop was needed.

He probably has them on speed-dial. ;)

• Administrator

Despite whatever you may have been taught; despite whatever you may have heard; despite common sense and logic... these guys are doing it WRONG:

LWRCrifles.jpg

Carrying your carbine in Position SUL with the muzzle tightly controlled, carbine tightly strapped against your body, safety on and finger nowhere near the trigger is NOT the safe way to practice muzzle discipline.

The correct way, according to George... is this:

Unnews_saddam_rifle2.jpg

Rifle held with muzzle pointed in the air. PERIOD. Gravity is not in play on the grounds of OHGC. What goes up will NOT come down as long as the negligent discharge happens on OHGC property. There will be absolutely NO damage to personnel or property by a round returning to earth should your weapon somehow be discharged while you carry it with the muzzle aimed toward the sky.

This has been a public service announcement.

(and is pretty much how the whole thing got started yesterday)

Guest bkelm18
Despite whatever you may have been taught; despite whatever you may have heard; despite common sense and logic... these guys are doing it WRONG:

LWRCrifles.jpg

Carrying your carbine in Position SUL with the muzzle tightly controlled, carbine tightly strapped against your body, safety on and finger nowhere near the trigger is NOT the safe way to practice muzzle discipline.

The correct way, according to George... is this:

Unnews_saddam_rifle2.jpg

Rifle held with muzzle pointed in the air. PERIOD. Gravity is not in play on the grounds of OHGC. What goes up will NOT come down as long as the negligent discharge happens on OHGC property. There will be absolutely NO damage to personnel or property by a round returning to earth should your weapon somehow be discharged while you carry it with the muzzle aimed toward the sky.

This has been a public service announcement.

(and is pretty much how the whole thing got started yesterday)

Please tell me he told that to a service member...?:D

Guest Angel 24/7

First time I finally got to come. I enjoyed meeting some of you guys.

I was enjoying shooting my handguns til I got told to "stop right there" & then walk off & not say a word to me or xdshooter. I didn't know what the heck I did.

Thank you Tungsten for the offer to hold my hand while I shoot. :D

I am not much in to the long guns. but, since I do carry I try to practice or shoot my Bersa & Tauras when I get a chance.

• Administrator
Please tell me he told that to a service member...?:rofl:

While that might have made it a little more entertaining than it already was, no. Contrary to popular thought, you don't have to be .mil or ex-mil to know how to handle a firearm properly. As evidenced by the fact that George was proudly wearing a paratrooper pin on his orange hat and still insisted that I needed to carry my carbine around like Saddam.

I think George was jumping out of planes a little before the M16A1 was introduced so his knowledge of the modern M4 may be somewhat nonexistent.

• Administrator
I guess Sundays aren't that great of an idea then... I hate I missed the fun, the RO sounds like a real 'winner'.

Sundays seem to be a more popular day to shoot at OHGC, which was compounded by the fact that they had an organized Muzzle Loader Match yesterday also.

The club usually denotes whether the range is closed for a function, but this wasn't the case yesterday. I suppose those guys just assumed that they would have enough rifle lanes for their purposes, and they did. They just didn't like the fact that we had loud automatic weapons.

Clearly George (and the muzzle loading crowd) wanted us to leave. George was dying for us to do something wrong so that he could throw us out, which is a complete crock of crap considering that my $50 membership is just as good as any of theirs is. Furthermore, we generated $60 worth of guest fees for them yesterday.

I'm become a little indignant when someone implies that my money isn't as good as someone else's ... and that was stated in not so many words yesterday.

Again, I'll be taking it up with their BoD.

George was proudly wearing a paratrooper pin on his orange hat

Bro, keep in mind that there's a lot of folks sporting stuff on their hats that they shouldn't be. I wish I would have stayed a little longer than my 10 minutes, I would have coined the guy..

Guest clutepc

Gotta say one thing about Sunday, it will probably one of the most talked about days at the range on TGO..:rofl:

Edited by clutepc
Guest monsterking138

well i still had a good time. george told me not to leave my pistol in my holster after i was done shooting it and that we couldn't smoke near the line because we could set off the powder 15 to 20 yards away.

• Administrator
well i still had a good time. george told me not to leave my pistol in my holster after i was done shooting it and that we couldn't smoke near the line because we could set off the powder 15 to 20 yards away.

Seems like George really doesn't need to be an RO. Which is the gist of what I will be trying to address with the OHGC BoD soon. Frankly I'm not even 100% sure he is a current member given that his member ID badge was a lime green "2007" badge and not one of the current red "2008" badges.

All I know is, I'm wearing one of my blaze orange hunting hats the next time I shoot there. For safety's sake.

• Administrator

For the record, upon reviewing the OHGC forum this morning I do see where the rule regarding full auto firing is stated as being in the 25 yard PISTOL PIT only. It was previously my understanding that it was only allowed at 25 yards.

In that respect, the use of the Krinkov AK at the rifle lane should have been restricted to just semi-automatic fire to be in line with the rules. The full-auto bursts should have occurred within the pistol pit, in which case someone else's butt would have still gotten chewed.

While this was indeed an error on our part, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that:

-- It was the only error that we made, to my knowledge.

-- It occurred later in the day and was centered around one person only.

The automatic fire incident was only a small part of the day and must be considered in context with the treatment our group had already received well before it happened. George was already unhappy with our presence on the range and had already confronted several of our members and guests with random, imagined misdeeds. Events that were accompanied at least twice with recommended remedies that were not only wrong but also unsafe.