Home security camera system

Q-See systems are cheap and easy to setup...  Rarely have any problems out of them.  They use to be carried at Costco, not sure if they are anymore.

Thinking of installing cameras around and inside the house and I don't trust the star ratings on the web. Have you bought one that you liked or disliked? What do you recommend?

I did a ton of research and bought everything to put mine in, I just haven't had the time to actually install it yet.  Not sure how many cameras you need, but more info about what I went with is in this thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/76433-bit-the-bullet-on-a-video-surveillance-system/

I looked at all kinds of video from different systems before purchasing this.  I may actually have some time soon to start installing.  I will put up some video when I get it setup.  Actually thank you for asking about this as it has now given me the push to get this done.

Just a little tidbit to consider - I have Hughes satellite internet and two security cameras, 1 D-Link and 1 Foscam.  D-Link can do, all by itself, the double port-forwarding required so that I can view the camera when I'm on the road.  Foscam engineers haven't a clue on how to do it.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Q-See is pretty good...just one additional thought, cameras are kinda like cops...they are a deterrent or after the fact tool. Unless you are going to stay up all night you need a motion sensor alarm/camera or otherwise, to wake you out of a dead sleep at 0200 to let you know someone is out there. A camera system combined with an inexpensive driveway alert works well

Q-See is pretty good...just one additional thought, cameras are kinda like cops...they are a deterrent or after the fact tool. Unless you are going to stay up all night you need a motion sensor alarm/camera or otherwise, to wake you out of a dead sleep at 0200 to let you know someone is out there. A camera system combined with an inexpensive driveway alert works well

Blue iris

Ive set it to automaticly change to a different profile at night that uses a buzzer in my bedroom to wake me up if the cameras detect motion snd I hsve a display on a stand at the foot of my bed with the live feeds and a mouse to control them ptz if needed,

It also changes automaticly to a more secure profile with alerts to the mobile app on my wifes and my cell phones if it detects motion if we both leave the property and goes back to a at home profile when one of us comes home.

The mobile app gives me real time feed and control over the cameras and system and settings and play back of alerts and constant record feeds.

AKA I can sit on a beach pull out my phone and pan around and even talk to you and listen to you and follow you along outside or in if your snooping or playback a certain hour of recording from a certain camera from any day in the past month,

Edited by Tobashadow

I have had a kguard system for several years now and it still works fine.

Things I recommend getting in a unit, no matter the brand.

*240FPS + Remember, divide that number by cameras used.

*Get at least an 8 channel DVR = 8 cameras. I bought a 8 channel DVR that came with 4 cameras, then added.

* PTZ Capable (Pan tilt zoom) camera, runs on its own channel. My system I can use the remote to move this camera around.

• Like 1

*240FPS + Remember, divide that number by cameras used.

*Get at least an 8 channel DVR = 8 cameras. I bought a 8 channel DVR that came with 4 cameras, then added.

* PTZ Capable (Pan tilt zoom) camera, runs on its own channel. My system I can use the remote to move this camera around.

get a DVR capable of 30 frames per second per camera thats where the 240 FPS comes from

stay away from anything that uses proprietary connectors, especially the ones that look like rj11 phone jacks

PTZ is a nice option

8 channel is a good option you can always add on but cant take away.

The small mini outdoor domes ( cameras) run between 90 and 200 bucks per dome, look for something that has a vari focal lens that will go from say 3 to 12mm and has IR LED's to see at night

any camera with a sharp or sony chipset will usually work well

DVR's are across the board be prepared to spend about 350 on a decent 8 channel dvr

monitor to watch: a small flat panel tv works fine for home use, make sure it has a " composite" or analog input on the back, this is a yellow RCA connector that sits next to a red and white one.

hope this helps if u need more info contact me off list and i can walk u through some options.In the long run its all about what u want to see w the system.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, guys. We've had a couple houses get broken into around us. One house was hit while the owners were in bed. That takes balls!!! The subdivision put together a neighborhood watch. A female officer that was sent from the sheriff's dept was asked if you could shoot a person that breaks into your house. She said "NO".  The woman that asked the question seemed  frustrated when she was told to call 911 and hide. The frustration was not so much from the fact that she wants to shoot a human but that she felt her hands were tied. I suspect the officer is told to discourage using a weapon, but I don't know that for sure.   

Our alarm is always set but I just want to add another layer of security. I don't plan on sitting up at night waiting for something to happen. Having a recording of what happens and when it happens is just a tool. A neighbor used trail cameras to catch three guys that stole his atv's. One of the thieves lives just across the street and is already out of jail. Go figure.    

A female officer that was sent from the sheriff's dept was asked if you could shoot a person that breaks into your house. She said "NO".  The woman that asked the question seemed  frustrated when she was told to call 911 and hide.
[/quote]
That is ridiculous! !!
The deputy actually gave the proper answer, may not be right but proper. U can only shoot someone if there is eminent threat to life. She also can't give legal advice. That's what abogados are for...in addition to liability issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1