Need tractor help

I have a Kubota LA500.  Came with the house I bought last year.  Today I'm mowing the grass and hit a piece of wood; it gets wedged in the one of the blades and the engine cuts off.  This has happened before so I raise blade housing unit in the rear, get a hammer and knock out the wood.  Blades are clear now of any debris and move freely when I push them by hand. 

I get back on, turn the key and nothing.  Doesn't turn over, doesn't make a sound.  No lights come on above the steering column, like for oil or electricity. The headlights don't come on either.  It's an old tractor and I suspect the battery might be going so I drive a car over to it and try to jump it.  Nothing. 

I figure the battery is completely dead so I remove it, take to the auto parts store and buy a new one.  (And they tested the old one and confirmed it is dead or at least time for a new one.)  I install the new battery and the same thing happens.  No turning over whatsoever, lights don't come on, nothing.  All I've got right now is a hunk of metal on wheels. 

Could it just be a fuse?  Anyone know where the fusebox is on these?  Something in the wiring maybe?  It's got plenty of gas and oil.  Seems like an electrical problem. 

Does it have a safety switch under the seat. When my wife drives my L3200 she comes in saying something's wrong it just cut out. Turns out she sits to far forward and it disengages and kills the tractor. Perhaps yours has an issue.
  • Like 1

I would replace the hazard fuse first before I called anyone. On some tractors the fuses may be labeled with one name but operate several other things also............jmho. I would also take a test light and check all my fuses by touching both ends of each fuse in the panel. I have seen fuses blow and not look blown....... Just a few trouble shooting tips to try.

I just bought a new Kubota...first tractor for me. They did give me a few extra fuses and said that it was a common thing to fail. I would definitely explore that next as your problem does indeed sound electrical.
[quote name="blueheeler47" post="1151906" timestamp="1400981947"]Happened to me one time, forgot to turn the blades when I got off the tractor, started right up after I turned them off. Did you switch the blades off when you got off the tractor[/quote] This! It is one of your safety switches. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do your dash lights come on with the ignition? Do they flicker a little when you turn the ignition?

As others have said, it's likely a safety switch.

Make sure you've disengaged the PTO, set transmission in neutral (googling stated that the HST can be finnicky about neutral - move it around a bit to get it just right), and that you are sitting in the seat. Do you have a second transmission lever? Might need that in neutral as well - I know I have to on my tractor.

Also, check to make sure that the belt that drives the blades didn't slip off the mower when everything got lodged. I've not seen this stop a tractor from running, but might keep you from mowing even once you've got it started. It shouldn't have come off, but you never know.

Fixed it.  It was a 30 amp fuse that goes into an adapter that is wired into the engine.  Last night I was just looking around the engine, seeing if anything was out of place, when I discovered this fuse.  I pulled it and it was blown.  $5 and a trip to Autozone later, I put a new one in, turned the key, and she came to life!  I was so happy!  Thank you everybody.  I will remember in the future to check the seat switch and also for fuses that do not look blown. 

• Like 3

Happened to me one time, forgot to turn the blades when I got off the tractor, started right up after I turned them off. Did you switch the blades off when you got off the tractor

I did that too. Spent an hour checking and rechecking every safety switch on the stupid thing. Turned out I was the stupid one.
  • Like 2

I believe the model # is L3250.  The LA # is actually the front end loader.  Found the fusebox, everything looks good except the hazard light.  I think it's something in the wiring, maybe from the ignition area.  Probably going to have to call somebody.

I have an L3250. The darn thing is bullet proof! You have a good tractor in my opinion.