Oklahoma No Guns Sign Change

We need to make a change like this in Tennessee, so that no gun signs do not carry a fine with them.  We need to work with the NRA and make this change to help people with handgun carry permits.  This law in Oklahoma balances the rights of those carrying guns and the property owners. 

As of now, we can be fined and have our handgun carry permit suspended for violating the stupid sign law in TN.  Those who say "Don't give the property owner your business" well good luck when you have to go to any Memphis local government office and carrying legally.

Section 1290.22.

C. A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is open to the public, the property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property stating such prohibition.

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 2

We need to get support of this kind of change from the NRA and TFA and make this a priority next year along with a solid park carry bill. 

I don't think you would have much opposition to this kind of a change because the law would state that the property owner would still of course be able to ask people to leave.

Is it ideal to everyone?  I know folks will say they should be able to carry anywhere, and I agree.  But at the same time you have to strike a balance in order to get a solid bill passed that in the end greatly helps folks with permits.

If such a bill were passed, you would be able to legally carry in a lot of places that you can't right now because of a 'no gun' sign.  The property owner would still have the right to ask you to leave if your gun is seen.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 1

You can carry in state or local government buildings, if you have a permit AND the building does not have 'no gun' signs.  Now the catch is that most in Memphis have no guns signs, which means you can't legally carry.

As of now, we can be fined and have our handgun carry permit suspended for violating the stupid sign law in TN.  

Just wondering--how would they apply this to a person from a state that reciprocates with TN?  I know you would definitely be fined, but does TN have a way to deny reciprocity to a single individual?

Just wondering--how would they apply this to a person from a state that reciprocates with TN?  I know you would definitely be fined, but does TN have a way to deny reciprocity to a single individual?

No. All they could do if they wanted to make the effort try to make a stink with issuing dept in the home state, like to try and get that state to nuke it.

By law, TN recognizes all other states' permits.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I like the Oklahoma law, I agree that any owner of private property weather a resident or business has a right to tell someone to leave their property for any reason, if they refuse then they are commiting criminal tresspass and should be charged with a crime. That should be fair for the property rights issue. No fine or charge for carrying, but the owner, or employees of the business if given instructions from the owner can tell you to leave the property.

I like the Oklahoma law, I agree that any owner of private property weather a resident or business has a right to tell someone to leave their property for any reason, if they refuse then they are commiting criminal tresspass and should be charged with a crime. That should be fair for the property rights issue. No fine or charge for carrying, but the owner, or employees of the business if given instructions from the owner can tell you to leave the property.

Here's the thing, we could simply repeal -1359 and have it already like that. I am kinda surprised that the OK law is written this way, because I am betting their trespass laws already cover it.

• Like 2

Here's the thing, we could simply repeal -1359 and have it already like that. I am kinda surprised that the OK law is written this way, because I am betting their trespass laws already cover it.

Yeah, almost said the same, but thing is, that gives the non-private private property owner a feel good power nod, maybe easier to get passed.

Just like the deal with the new knife law -- switchblades legal, but if you commit a crime with one, it's a separate felony -- just a sop to assuage knife namby pambies.

Btw,  advice to robbers -- use legal-to-rob-with 12" Bowies just to be on the safe side. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Duplicating the trespass law to pass that sort of bill is fine by me if it makes the property owners happy and in the end helps people with permits.

I think bottom line is that businesses and other property owners do not want to feel that an unwanted behavior is being forced on them and lose the option to ask people to leave.  I think as long as address that concern, you can legalize carry just about everywhere, including schools.  You can legally carry just about everywhere in MS with an enhanced license, but the property owners and schools there can still ask you to leave.  Of course if you conceal you won't be asked to leave a school but will still be legal there.

Edited by 300winmag

....I think bottom line is that businesses and other property owners do not want to feel that an unwanted behavior is being forced on them and lose the option to ask people to leave.

Problem is, they don't have to ask the gun carrier to leave now. That's why there are so many signs, the biz owner doesn't have to have any backbone at all, doesn't have to confront anyone, swear out complaint or testify. Just has to get a LEO there while gun carrier is still in store.

Not sure they want to give that up.

- OS

Problem is, they don't have to ask the gun carrier to leave now. That's why there are so many signs, the biz owner doesn't have to have any backbone at all, doesn't have to confront anyone, swear out complaint or testify. Just has to get a LEO there while gun carrier is still in store.

Not sure they want to give that up.

- OS

Here in Tennessee there's far more businesses that allow carry than not so those who put up the signs are in the minority. Just like the restaurant bill some time ago there are a few who cry and moan about it, and they get some media attention for a few days but it doesn't take long for everybody to forget about them including the media. If enough of us wrote our reps and senators we could get it changed some day more like the Oklahoma law. Most businesses wont really care except for the few who put up their signs, they will cry and moan again and get a few days of media attention, a couple of weeks later it will be forgotten about just like the restaurant and state parks bill. They will have to get a backbone and confront someone, or force their employees to do it, or just accept that someone is carrying in their business.

We need to get support of this kind of change from the NRA and TFA and make this a priority next year along with a solid park carry bill. 

I don't think you would have much opposition to this kind of a change because the law would state that the property owner would still of course be able to ask people to leave.

Is it ideal to everyone?  I know folks will say they should be able to carry anywhere, and I agree.  But at the same time you have to strike a balance in order to get a solid bill passed that in the end greatly helps folks with permits.

If such a bill were passed, you would be able to legally carry in a lot of places that you can't right now because of a 'no gun' sign.  The property owner would still have the right to ask you to leave if your gun is seen.

You have it from the TFA now, get the NRA to join up.