Dogs Barking

none

If they are in violation of any local noise ordnance or covenant, or the dogs are treated in an inhumane manner, then you just report them to the local LEO, HOA, humane society, or ASPCA until it stops. If they live outside 24x7 then you just go out on your back deck in the middle of the night and phone in the noise violation, repeating as needed until the fines become too much.

If no ordnance or rule is violated and the dogs are treated humanely, then maybe ask the guy why he even has the dogs if he never lets them inside, doesn't play with them or take them out, and he tries to shut out their barking as well. He just might be indifferent to owning them in which case you could offer to help find them better homes, heck even offer him a small fee to buy them if he agrees not to get more.

Another option would be to go over and play with his dog's or pet them often until they get used to seeing you, and maybe then they won't bark so much.

But the best answer isn't one you'll like. If you don't want to deal with the nuisance of neighbors and their behavior which you can't control, then don't live in crowded subdivisions. Move to the country or anywhere you can get at least 5 acres. Then you don't need to worry about your neighbors, and you can bark at night whenever you like. :-)

Ah not real sure about the crowded subdiivision thing as we don't live in one nor on a small lot so I guess these concerns are not subdivision problems.

Ah not real sure about the crowded subdiivision thing as we don't live in one nor on a small lot so I guess these concerns are not subdivision problems.

I guess by "subdivision" I was referring to any property where you live close enough to your neighbors that their actions can bother you or affect your quality of life. Whether or not you have an actual subdivision with HOA is really secondary, with the primary issue being proximity of your neighbors followed closely by density (# of neighbors) which would naturally increase the traffic. Regardless of where you live or what you call it, if you live close enough to your neighbors that their dogs bother you, then you are really living too close to them which can cause all sorts of problems. They could sell the dogs and get a few chickens instead, or install a pool and have big parties with lots of kids and noise, or do any number of other things which would bother you in a similar or worse manner.

I used to have the same problems when living in more crowded areas with smaller lots. Dogs and cats left to run loose, doing their business on my property, walking on and scratching my vehicles, making noise at night. Unruly kids trespassing and leaving their toys, candy wrappers, soda bottles, etc. littered through my yard. Late night parties with rude people making noise all night when I was trying to sleep and had to get up early. No privacy with other people watching you from their windows and decks. Etc. Etc. Etc. Sure, you can try to reason with them, befriend them, ask for favors, call the HOA or police, etc. but the risk is always there and the situation can get worse at any time. There were plenty of times where we were annoyed or inconvenienced, and I did try all sorts of things to work it out, but I really didn't blame the neighbors. I blamed myself for moving into a location like that.

This is why we now live on acreage outside the city limits, large enough that I can't see or hear my neighbors, and I am free to shoot, burn, blast, dig, hunt, host parties, etc. without concern. We had to move further away from some of the city conveniences and settle for a bit less of a house to afford the land, but our quality of living has increased ten-fold.

Now back to the dog issue: I am not in favor of shooting, spraying, noise-blasting, or otherwise harming the dogs for barking. Dogs are dogs, they bark, that is part of what they do, especially when they are not properly cared for or trained by their owner. So it is cruel and inhumane to punish the dogs for their owner's mistake. If I was in that situation I would try to make friends with the owner, take him out to eat, buy him something nice, treat him to a few beers, cut his grass a few times, whatever. Then talk about the dogs and see if he would be willing to help you out with some humane solutions such as a bark collar, moving the dogs to a better location, or maybe getting rid of the dogs if he doesn't really care for them. Or possibly just get his permission to go on his land to play with (and train) the dogs yourself. If all attempts at diplomacy fail, then call the police when noise ordinances are violated, and have video recordings to prove your case. But the bottom line is that you can't really expect trouble-free living when you live close to other people, so if the problem persists and it bothers you bad enough, moving may be the only solution.

Good luck! Edited by wileecoyote
We keep the barking to a minimum with ours. Ours only bark when they hear or see something out of the ordinary but they are treated better than most. There are some good suggestions here. I would try to play with them some and give them a little attention and maybe they would at least not bark at you. People are funny though and even though they don't treat them well they can get mad if you try to. Long time ago a buddy had a huge mean malamute no one could go around. One night me and a friend fed him a couple beers and that dog was as happy as I ever saw him. Anytime me and my friend showed up he would come to the fence and sit just as nice and quiet as he could be.

What we have here is a failure to communicate!  Folks, I have a

Sunbeam Ultrasonic Egg Dog Bark Control Device

from Petsmart that works really well on my Half Pit / Half Lab mix.  He used to bark all the time, but no more!  Here's a link to start your research:

"http://www.petsmart.com/dog/bark-control/sunbeam-ultrasonic-egg-dog-bark-control-device-zid36-5169731/cat-36-catid-100125"

Hopefully the link works!  I have neighbors with dogs that don't bark when it is on.  The guys just can't figure it out!!!

What we have here is a failure to communicate!  Folks, I have a

Sunbeam Ultrasonic Egg Dog Bark Control Device
from Petsmart that works really well on my Half Pit / Half Lab mix.  He used to bark all the time, but no more!  Here's a link to start your research:

"http://www.petsmart.com/dog/bark-control/sunbeam-ultrasonic-egg-dog-bark-control-device-zid36-5169731/cat-36-catid-100125"

Hopefully the link works!  I have neighbors with dogs that don't bark when it is on.  The guys just can't figure it out!!!

Saw one of those at the MJ Petsmart looked like the range was only about 50 feet on it? Acoording to the package. I would need something that would have about a 300 foot range on it.

I. Went over and asked him today after work and asked if he did not mind I would be happy to take the dog for a walk for him if he did not have time? I received a less than polite response. And was again told to stay inside an close the windows it wont be a problem.

So I guess I am about ready to back my work vehicle up near. His house and light it up every time the dog starts barking. Clearly the problem is more the owner and not the dog.

Make a recording of a bear growling, put it on repeat and turn it up.

I hd a similar problem, kid blasting his rap at all hours. Recorded a machine gun, pointed the speaker right at his house and cranked it up, music quit, I'd turn it off, music back loud, I turned it on. Took about 2 hrs for him to get the idea. Haven't heard the rolling boom box in months.

My dad lived downstairs from a guy who worked 3rd shift when he was about 20. His wife would vacuum the floor at about 2AM every morning, a couple hours after the guy left for work. My dad asked her to please wait until shortly before dude came home and she basically told him to shove it. He then asked the husband to talk with her and received much the same response. So one day he waited for Mr. Personality to get home, gave him about 30 minutes to wind down, get in bed, etc., then placed his speakers on top of a book shelf just below the ceiling, cranked the volume to 11, and went to work. Problem solved. 

• Like 2

Good luck, wcd.  Sounds like a really frustrating situation.

Reading this thread reminded me of Christopher Walken's barking dog story from the movie Suicide Kings.  Anybody else remember that?  (Not suggesting that course of action unless you're a mob boss.)

Edited by Wheelgunner