New 308

Sidinman

Ok, this isn't what you all were expecting. Its a Marlin 308 MX, I just picked it up today, these things are "suppose" to be as accurate as a bolt action. Well I plan on finding out this summer. Should make fer a dandy little deer rifle either way. Any way I'm proud to have it, and will shoot it this weekend.

20140611_195708.jpg20140611_195810.jpg

• Like 3
Guest SgtFraser
She's a Marlin and throws 308. Doesnt get much better than that in my opinion. I think you wont like how it shoots, and you should call me to properly dispose of it for you. Its the least I can do.

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC

She's a Marlin and throws 308. Doesnt get much better than that in my opinion. I think you wont like how it shoots, and you should call me to properly dispose of it for you. Its the least I can do.

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC

He is right, you should give it to him. But I'm closer so bring it to me and make sure and get it right over to SgtFraser :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, but I think I'll hold on to it for alittle while anyway. Got to see if I can find one of those base plates or what ever thet are called. Got a Nikon Pro Staff to put on it for now. Ya'll have a great day got to head off to work.

• Like 1

very nice, congrats!   I have a lever 308 that I bought off a member here, and I love mine.  It has a bit of recoil...  but since it is a lever gun you can roll them as strong (or weak) as you want.   I wish the mag were the standard one but its a one of a kind 5 rounder.  Yours looks like it might have a tube (?); if so remember to not load it up with pointy rounds (easy to forget that with the 308 since most of the cheap ammo is pointy). 

• Like 1

That one is a 308 Marlin, but Savage and Winchester both made levers in 308 Winchester since the 50's.

I think they have been around at least since the 60s....

I honestly had no idea. I always assumed most of them where .357 .44 or 45-70.

The 308 Marlin is different from the 308 Winchester, the case is a little shorter, so you have to have a specific set of dies. As to lever action calibers go, there alot, 30-30 .35 Rem. .32 WSpl, 22lr, 22mag.,Henry even makes a 17 HMR, 357 mag., 41mag,. 44 mag. 45 colt, 454 Casull, Marlin 444, 450 Marlin, 45/70, 308 Win., 308MX, 338MX, and then you have some of the first, 32-20, 25-20, 32-40, 44-40,38-55, 218 Bee, Win 1895 in a 30-06. I'm sure I missed a couple, think there's a 356, and 375, maybe.  And believe it or not there were some lever action shotguns.

Myself I own 22lr, 357mag, 30-30, 35 Rem., Marlin 444, and now this 308 MX.

Greg I plan on shooting it a little tomorrow so I let you know what I think and what kind of groups I get. Thanks for ya'lls thoughts and comments.

Edited by Sidinman