Appliance Repair

Is the drum spinning?

Yes, it works fine. It's just that it will shut itself off before the cycle is complete. Sometimes it will shut off after a couple of minutes, other times it will run for 10-20 minutes, every once in a while it will run the full cycle. But most of the time you have to keep restarting it.

Yes, it works fine. It's just that it will shut itself off before the cycle is complete. Sometimes it will shut off after a couple of minutes, other times it will run for 10-20 minutes, every once in a while it will run the full cycle. But most of the time you have to keep restarting it.

Clean the over-temp sensor and exhaust system in the dryer. Make sure that your entire duct is clear of lint build up and that the weather flapper is free and clear too. You could very well be over-temping and shutting down on a thermal safety as these will reset themselves after a few minutes but you have to restart the dryer.

Yep. Vent hose and overtemp sensor. If you use fabric softener in the dryer, over time it will gunk up the sensors.

And speaking of dryer vent hoses.... Please clean them out periodically. Lots of houses burn to the ground from dryer vent hoses catching fire.
  • Like 1

Clean the over-temp sensor and exhaust system in the dryer. Make sure that your entire duct is clear of lint build up and that the weather flapper is free and clear too. You could very well be over-temping and shutting down on a thermal safety as these will reset themselves after a few minutes but you have to restart the dryer.

This +1

Yep. Vent hose and overtemp sensor. If you use fabric softener in the dryer, over time it will gunk up the sensors.

And speaking of dryer vent hoses.... Please clean them out periodically. Lots of houses burn to the ground from dryer vent hoses catching fire.

PLUS 100 on this!

It is not that hard to clean out either. There will be a cover panel on the back with ~10 screws and then under it you will find the duct where the hot air goes from the drum to the hose. The duct has less screws and comes apart easily.

I know when I took mine apart the inner duct was FULL of lint even though the hose was fairly clean.

One time, our dryer was taking forever to dry stuff, even though it was hot and spinning. We had maybe 15' of dryer hose running from the dryer to the flapper, all of it in the crawl space. I crawled back to the hose and noticed it was drooping in between the ties that fastened it to the floor joists. I felt them, and they were very heavy. I took a screwdriver and poked a small hole in one, and a couple gallons of water poured out. Not sure if it all came in from the flapper, or if it was moisture that built o\up over time. Regardless. the dryer worked much better after that.

I also replaced the hose, and noticed there was a ton of lint build up in the old hose.As mentioned above, you really need to keep them clean to avoid fires. And, teh longer the duct, the more lint build up you'll have. I know at my local Home Depot, they sell a brush with a long cable that you insert into the duct and attach to a drill, that will sweep it out. I think it only works if you have the solid sheet metal style ducts, not that flexible stuff made out of mylar.

Dryer ducts that run through floors or in crawl spaces should be rigid metal pipe for exactly the above reason. The metal flex hose stuff is ok for very short runs where normal joints won't work and the nylon flex stuff should be avoided completely.
  • Like 1

Dryer ducts that run through floors or in crawl spaces should be rigid metal pipe for exactly the above reason. The metal flex hose stuff is ok for very short runs where normal joints won't work and the nylon flex stuff should be avoided completely.

Noted this very problem on the home we are now leasing; how is it you build a 350K home and install a 6 dollar flex hose? This is on my hit list as we are considering buying the house.

Noted this very problem on the home we are now leasing; how is it you build a 350K home and install a 6 dollar flex hose? This is on my hit list as we are considering buying the house.

Stuff like that just runs all over me. Was the builder cheap, lazy, or stupid? If they cheaped out on that, what else did they do?