Thorine, the Hammer Queen.

Why? Does it matter?

As far a Thorine is concerned this is not the first time this has happened as others have pointed out, (Superwoman and Supergirl for instance). Also, I kind of like watching women "fight" as it were. An example took place in 300: Rise of an Empire. First time I've seen boobies swung in anger! :popcorn:

Superman didn't BECOME Supergirl. She was a different character. If this new female Thor does that, it's a non-issue. But if Thor's penis get removed... I have a problem with that.

• Like 1

I have no problem with strong female super heros, but why not just make a new hero?

For the same reason there aren't all that many popular female comics, now.  For the same reason I predict that 'Thorine' will fail.  For the same reason that the most popular comics are titles like Batman, Superman and Spiderman instead of Batwoman, Superwoman and so on.  For the same reason that there has not been a Wonder Woman movie, yet.  Because that isn't what the majority of comics fans want to read about in a comic book so no one would buy them.  Comics readership is, hopefully, a place where political correctness and the comics that push the same will die a slow, miserable, wasting death in the face of what people really want to read and are willing to spend their money on.

Edited by JAB

Just wait until you guys find out the new Captain America is now black.

Why? Does it matter?

As far a Thorine is concerned this is not the first time this has happened as others have pointed out, (Superwoman and Supergirl for instance). Also, I kind of like watching women "fight" as it were. An example took place in 300: Rise of an Empire. First time I've seen boobies swung in anger! :popcorn:

It matters that Captain America will be black because there doesn't seem to be a good, plot driven reason.  The only reason is to be more PC and that makes me want to vomit. 

If the same kind of trend keeps up, I would half expect Robert Kirkman to reveal that the real reason Lori and Rick Grimes were having marital issues before the zombie outbreak was that Rick had an extra-marital affair with Shane long before Lori did.  Maybe they will change the title of the series to "Brokeback Dead."

As for Superwoman and Supergirl (and the She-Hulk, Batgirl and so on) as Steelharp pointed out, those were new characters not bastardizations of existing ones.

Edited by JAB

There should be a sarcasm emoticon.

Some people have a hard time viewing women being portrayed as strong and NOT nurturing.

One of my favorite television shows of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The movie was dumb but I like the television show.  That character was created as a strong, female character and remained a strong, female character.  In fact, it took the 'going against expectations' even further in that she was a young, popular cheerleader type who was still a very strong, female character - very strong and very female, not a girl trying to be a tough guy.  It didn't start off as "Biff the Vampire Slayer" and get changed to "Buffy" in the interest of being more PC or giving 'equal representation to all genders' or any of that kind of garbage.

Edited by JAB

One of my favorite television shows of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The movie was dumb but I like the television show.  That character was created as a strong, female character and remained a strong, female character.  In fact, it took the 'going against expectations' even further in that she was a young, popular cheerleader type who was still a very strong, female character - very strong and very female, not a girl trying to be a tough guy.  It didn't start off as "Biff the Vampire Slayer" and get changed to "Buffy" in the interest of being more PC or giving 'equal representation to all genders' or any of that kind of garbage.

I liked Buffy too - stupid or not. I also liked Angel. :)

It matters that Captain America will be black because there doesn't seem to be a good, plot driven reason.  The only reason is to be more PC and that makes me want to vomit. 

If the same kind of trend keeps up, I would half expect Robert Kirkman to reveal that the real reason Lori and Rick Grimes were having marital issues before the zombie outbreak was that Rick had an extra-marital affair with Shane long before Lori did.  Maybe they will change the title of the series to "Brokeback Dead."

As for Superwoman and Supergirl (and the She-Hulk, Batgirl and so on) as Steelharp pointed out, those were new characters not bastardizations of existing ones.

The plot line in the article made sense to me. :shrug:

Edited by SWJewellTN
Well I checked my "Things to give a crap about" list twice, then again a third time to be sure.... Yup, nothing comic book related on the list under subsection "Elevate heart pressure"...

I'll think I'll be more concerned over the fact that a Saiga is now out of my price range, 300 people died on a shot down plane, our economy is in the toilet, and today is laundry day. :leaving: Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

The plot line in the article made sense to me. :shrug:

It sounds like a pretty weak cop-out, to me.  I mean, supposedly the Captain's super soldier serum craps out so they have to go out and recruit another, existing superhero (who, presumably, is already doing super-heroey stuff and, therefore, doesn't really need to change) and stick him in the Captain America outfit.  I can see no, good reason for doing so other than as a lame explanation for why they took a long-running, beloved superhero (who happened to be white) and replaced him with a black guy in order to score PC points.

Then there is the female Thor plotline.  Supposedly, Thor does something that makes him no longer 'worthy' of wielding the hammer so it goes to a woman who styles herself after the original (because he once saved her life.)  Seriously?  The gods couldn't find another big, blond, Nordic looking dude to take the hammer?  They had to go waaaay down in the bull-pen and pick some chick to take over the role of a male superhero that is also a male god in the Norse pantheon?  That's just stupid.  Sounds like another PC cop-out, to me.

Edited by JAB

It sounds like a pretty weak cop-out, to me.  I mean, supposedly the Captain's super soldier serum craps out so they have to go out and recruit another, existing superhero (who, presumably, is already doing super-heroey stuff and, therefore, doesn't really need to change) and stick him in the Captain America outfit.  I can see no, good reason for doing so other than as a lame explanation for why they took a long-running, beloved superhero (who happened to be white) and replaced him with a black guy in order to score PC points.

Then there is the female Thor plotline.  Supposedly, Thor does something that makes him no longer 'worthy' of wielding the hammer so it goes to a woman who styles herself after the original (because he once saved her life.)  Seriously?  The gods couldn't find another big, blond, Nordic looking dude to take the hammer?  They had to go waaaay down in the bull-pen and pick some chick to take over the role of a male superhero that is also a male god in the Norse pantheon?  That's just stupid.  Sounds like another PC cop-out, to me.

It probably is.

I was going to say I'm surprised that she's not black and lesbian.

^^^^LMAO. That is a great point. Maybe make her a muslim democrat also, fighting against the injustices of conservatism and self-responsibility....Her secret identity could be a heroine who works for Planned Parenthood.

• Like 1