AR Pistol Build Thread - Complete!

I took Mac's advice and swapped out my grip for the Magpul K2. It made a big difference. AIM has free shipping on all Magpul parts so it was $20 delivered to my door. 

Congrats on getting the build started. I also started recently and it's killing me that I can't shoot it yet. I keep waiting for PSA to get their 10.5" upper back in stock with no luck.

I took Mac's advice and swapped out my grip for the Magpul K2. It made a big difference. AIM has free shipping on all Magpul parts so it was $20 delivered to my door. 

Congrats on getting the build started. I also started recently and it's killing me that I can't shoot it yet. I keep waiting for PSA to get their 10.5" upper back in stock with no luck.

I got confused and ordered the K grip and hate it. Way too small IMO. The K2 looks fine, but I would recommend trying them both out if you can. Not a huge investment one way or the other I guess.
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished!!!   :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:

Sorry for the dark pictures, new phone and need to tweak some of the settings I think. Or get my wife to find her digital camera that she wanted and never uses anymore.... Either way I will try to get some better/clearer pics tomorrow.

Picked the rail up from being cerakoted today - if you don't already know Amendment 2 Coatings does FANTASTIC work.

Everything is put together, hoping that tomorrow afternoon I will be able to run to the range and put a couple hundred rounds down range. If not tomorrow will be shooting on Sunday.

Complete build list:

PSA lower

White Oak Armament LPK with ALG QMS trigger

Phase 5 Hex-2 buffer tube with Sig brace

Magpul MIAD grip

Magpul FDE trigger guard

Phase 5 bolt release

Battle Arms Development ambi safety in FDE

Seekins FDE mag release

Fortis QD end plate

Magpul MS3 sling set as single point

Anderson upper

Stroke Industries FDE dust cover

MAS Defense 10.5" barrel - 5.56 1:7 twist

.750 low profile gas block

Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25" rail

MAS Defense charging handle with G3 latch

Radical Firearms nitride BCG

KAW Valley Precision linear comp in FDE

I had a KAK slim can on there but like the KAW Valley comp look better. 

Magpul XTM handstop installed but also have a FDE AFG2 on the way, not sure which one I will end up using.

Moved the Primary Arms red dot and Diamondhead flip up sights over from my carbine to this pistol. Installed a PA 1-4x optic on my carbine.

IMG_20141205_191912.jpgIMG_20141219_175949955.jpgIMG_20141219_175956987.jpgIMG_20141219_180212819.jpgIMG_20141219_180226601.jpgIMG_20141219_180238027.jpgIMG_20141219_182127812.jpgIMG_20141219_182136197.jpgIMG_20141219_182210592.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a few better pics. Was all in the camera settings, Motorola camera app and defaults are terrible. Photos were taken in the exact same location and same lighting.

Just a suggestion but you could do with backing up a little to get the whole gun in for at least one picture.

I didn't realize seeing the Sig brace was that important. :)
The brace was shown in some of the other pics so I wasn't worried about capturing it. Was really just showing off the rail, cerakote job.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the pics you have. It's not particularly about the brace, I just like to see a "big picture" kinda thing to see how it all works together. :)

Edited by tnguy

Yeah, nothing wrong with the pics you have. It's not particularly about the brace, I just like to see a "big picture" kinda thing to see how it all works together. :)

Yeah I understand, thought I had a couple full pics but obviously did not. I just took a couple extras. And had to re-adjust the Sig brace, it slid up yesterday so pulled it off and sprayed the tube down with the wife's hairspray and letting it dry.

Also moved the hand stop back, it helps line my hand up with the flashlight. My AFG should be here tomorrow and I will test it out, not sure what I sill stick with.

I figured out I do NOT like a single point sling, it just gets in the way. Need to figure out how I want to mount a second attachment point, if I keep the handstop can add a sling mount on the bottom rail. If go with the AFG may get a 2" rail and add to the side.

IMG_20141221_191123.jpgIMG_20141221_190634.jpgIMG_20141221_190554.jpgIMG_20141221_190435.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289

So if you want to share, how much total is in this build?

I have been trying to avoid that because my wife keeps asking too....

Guess it is time for me to add it all up and see how far I was off my quick estimate....

Sig brace - $125

Phase 5 buffer kit - $75

Barrel - $125

Rail - $140

BCG - $90

BAD selector - $65 

KAW comp - $40

Receivers - $90

LPK with ALG trigger - $75

Other parts (charging handle, dust cover, bolt release, handstop, etc) - think $50ish

So that is $900ish without counting the sling (free from neighbor), light and sights (moved from carbine). I told the wife earlier I thought about $700   :stunned:

I took several months, buying parts spread out. And picked up several Black Friday deals to finish the build. I could have completed this a lot cheaper but I had a specific idea in my head - built around this rail which is the most expensive item.

• Like 1

It actually slid over part of the hex shape. The brace fit was super tight when I installed it originally so a bit shocked it loosened that much but should be good to go now.

Wow, I frequent arfcom pistol forum, tons of folks using that setup, first I ever heard of that prob. The brace hadn't been on a different buffer tube first to get stretched out or anything?

Having to glue it on sort of negates a lot of the benefit of the cost of the Hex.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot