Longarm in vehicle

chipperi

I have used the search feature without much luck.   I have looked through LexisNexis and just get confused.  I remember hearing that HCP holders can keepa long gun in their vehicle as long as there was no round in the chamber.   Recently people have been saying you can keep it fully loaded.  Can someone "more smarter" than me cite the actual law that clarifies my question.  The closest I have found is 39-17-1313 but it doesnt specificaly say long guns, and it only says transporting or storing, no whee is the word loaded in there.

The new bill (sb-1774) created the exception to the old law that prohibited a loaded FIREARM<---( = any firearm, handgun, rifle, or shotgun) from being carried loaded in a privately owned vehicle...So yes, you can carry a handgun, rifle, or shotgun with a round chambered in your private vehicle, according to the wording in the new law...

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/BillSummaryArchive.aspx?BillNumber=SB1774&ga=108

Edited by Someotherguy
  • Like 1

I have used the search feature without much luck.   I have looked through LexisNexis and just get confused.  I remember hearing that HCP holders can keepa long gun in their vehicle as long as there was no round in the chamber.   Recently people have been saying you can keep it fully loaded.  Can someone "more smarter" than me cite the actual law that clarifies my question.  The closest I have found is 39-17-1313 but it doesnt specificaly say long guns, and it only says transporting or storing, no whee is the word loaded in there.

Here is a good link: http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handguntca.shtml

Public Chapter 431 – Loaded Rifles and Shotguns in Vehicles – This act allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a privately owned vehicle. The act provides that the weapon cannot have ammunition in the chamber except in the case that an individual permit holder feels physically threatened.

Effective Date: June 12, 2009

I had thought it had changed recently though, so it may be outdated.

Edit: Yup, Someotherguy found it. Edited by Omega

On a side note, around 41 years ago I was on a hunting trip in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Three of us piled into my bud's truck. Him driving, his younger brother in the middle and

me by the door. My bud and I stuck our rifles behind the seat. The kid stuck his barrel down on the front floor. We started driving and BOOM! Ole DumbA didn't unload his rifle. 

It scared the heck outa me and when my bud got through with a 2X4 the kid said he'd never ever do that again. We had to keep the heat on high because of the hole in the floor. 

If you plan on sticking long guns in your vehicle do so but I'd suggest if you just gotta do it, maybe keep the chamber empty and the shells in the mag or tube so you can jack a round in if you have to. I'm pretty sure there is nothing that is gonna get away in the split second it will take you to chamber the round. However, you may find out that it takes a bit longer to drag a long arm out of the vehicle to put it into use than any pistol.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

On a side note, around 41 years ago I was on a hunting trip in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Three of us piled into my bud's truck. Him driving, his younger brother in the middle and
me by the door. My bud and I stuck our rifles behind the seat. The kid stuck his barrel down on the front floor. We started driving and BOOM! Ole DumbA didn't unload his rifle. 
It scared the heck outa me and when my bud got through with a 2X4 the kid said he'd never ever do that again. We had to keep the heat on high because of the hole in the floor. 

If you plan on sticking long guns in your vehicle do so but I'd suggest if you just gotta do it, maybe keep the chamber empty and the shells in the mag or tube so you can jack a round in if you have to. I'm pretty sure there is nothing that is gonna get away in the split second it will take you to chamber the round. However, you may find out that it takes a bit longer to drag a long arm out of the vehicle to put it into use than any pistol.

Lp

I use my 10.5" barreled AR as my truck gun when I travel. I am quite familiar with transporting an AR locked and cocked so am confident in doing so in civilian capacity. The question I have is, what does this do to TWRA laws? It is/was illegal to have a rifle loaded in your vehicle and out of a case.

I use my 10.5" barreled AR as my truck gun when I travel. I am quite familiar with transporting an AR locked and cocked so am confident in doing so in civilian capacity. The question I have is, what does this do to TWRA laws? It is/was illegal to have a rifle loaded in your vehicle and out of a case.

Just giving him a friendly reminder that gun safety should be a top priority no matter who you are or what skill level you have. It may have happened somewhere else but it has happened here. Matter of fact within the last 3 years a member here posted about shooting a hole in his truck as he was either putting away or getting out the gun. And if I remember correctly he was someone who seemed like he had his head screwed on straight.

Just giving him a friendly reminder that gun safety should be a top priority no matter who you are or what skill level you have. It may have happened somewhere else but it has happened here. Matter of fact within the last 3 years a member here posted about shooting a hole in his truck as he was either putting away or getting out the gun. And if I remember correctly he was someone who seemed like he had his head screwed on straight.

Oh for sure, I am always safe with weapons and encourage everyone to be as safe as possible. I was just commenting that I feel quite confident in carrying my pistol locked and loaded as I do my glock. If you are not as familiar or if maybe you have little ones or others that may not know how to handle a weapon then maybe you need to take that into account. I usually travel alone, and when I have family with me I take extra precautions.

The statute you're looking for is TCA 39-17-1307.  

The section of the statute that said a person with a handgun permit can have a rifle or shotgun in his/her car as long as the chamber is empty has now been deleted and replaced with this:

(e)(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

Edited by LawVol
  • Like 2

I have no intention of keeping a long arm in my truck. Some one had asked me and had heard conflicting details like I had. What Irks me Is I am legal to keep my handgun in my truck while I am on campus...But if the college found out they could expel me....so what good is the law.

I have no intention of keeping a long arm in my truck. Some one had asked me and had heard conflicting details like I had. What Irks me Is I am legal to keep my handgun in my truck while I am on campus...But if the college found out they could expel me....so what good is the law.

Well, with a carry permit, it means it's no longer a felony. Myself, I find that relatively beneficial.

Small chance of being expelled or fired is one thing, but I'd posit you'd take that over years in the state pen, eh?

And in real world,  I can't see that small chance happening unless you give a reason to look.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, with a carry permit, it means it's no longer a felony. Myself, I find that relatively beneficial.

Small chance of being expelled or fired is one thing, but I'd posit you'd take that over years in the state pen, eh?

And in real world,  I can't see that small chance happening unless you give a reason to look.

- OS

Don't ask, don't tell.

If it's a public university, let them try.  TCA 39-17-1314a (state preemption) prohibits them from attempting to regulate among other things the possession, storage and transportation for firearms unless otherwise provided for by state law...  Since there is no law granting colleges and universities the ability to regulate firearms, it would seem to me they can't legally. 

More importantly, it would be a PR nightmare for them, it would inflame gun rights activists and groups... and would give conservative Republicans a great liberal target...  The BoR is already fighting a campaign against the campus carry law...  expelling a model student and citizen for keeping a legally owned firearm in the vehicle...  just might be the straw that broke the camels back...

I just don't see them taking the bait.

• Like 1