female mugged hillsboro village

this was in a post on myspace from a friend of mine.

Hi Everyone-

I decided at around 9pm, I would put some of my painting in my car to take over to my storage unit. So I gathered my paintings, my purse, yet decided to leave Princess, my vicious looking, yet super sweet sensitive Bulldog at home because my paintings literally take up my entire car. I was just thinking to myself how quiet it was outside and I love the fall temperature. As I was loading my 2 last paintings, I turned around and walking directly toward me was a figure in the distance that I did not recognize. He was light-skinned black male around 5’7-8. With a sad/ yet serious expression that will remain in my mind as long as I live. He was a bit over weight and with a round shaved head. With both of his hands in his light brown hoodie, I noticed a small bulge in his left pocked. As he was within about 10 feet of me, I realized that he was coming towards me and had no intention of going off course. I did not recognize him as one of the regular homeless men that I see on a daily basis, and he didn’t look homeless by any means. He came right in my face and stated, †Do not scream. And if you do, I will shoot you.†I had probably 500 different thoughts racing through my head. This is a not real. Wake up Lindsey. Dear Lord, if this is my time to go, I will go but I am not ready. Where is Kil when I need him? He is always there the second I need him. Where is my cell phone? Oh its in my pocket. Can I dial 911 while he is standing here? No that would be obvious. Is there ANYONE around so they can help me? My neighborhood is safe, what is going on. do I have anything I can attack him with if he comes at me? Where is my 50lb bulldog? Why me? Oh dear Lord, please help me.

So as calm as I possibly could be, I said, “ok. I won’t scream.†He then stated, †give me all of your money.†I calmly pulled my wallet out, and I said, sir, I do not have any money. Nothing. You can dig through my wallet. I have credit cards, if you want them, here you go. To my surprise, he calmly replied, †I don’t want your credit cards, I want money. Do you have any jewelry?†And then with a swift change into an angry tone again, †If you don’t give me your money, I will shoot you. I am on dope and need some money.

â€

At this point I had told him twice…. I do not have any money, but he is more than welcome to my plethora of credit cards. He again refused. As I watched his pocket move with a gun in it, I couldn’t help think about my last few breaths of life. Yet, I was thinking, what in the hell did Oprah say about this? Why didn’t I pay closer attention. I also had a quick thought of telling my parents on Wednesday night about how negligent I am with being aware of my surroundings and need to become more pro active in being prepared in case of any type of attack. But All I could do in the moment is attempt to remain calm. I was praying all he wanted was money, and not to really hurt me. I also was thinking about how fortunate I am in this case that I hate jewelry and only wear my diamond studs that he couldn’t see due to my hair actually being down for once in my life. My hair is pretty much up at all times, but not tonight.

As I focused on the man’s reaction to my lack of providing for his need, he slowly backed up, turned around, and walked away.

Walked away. He walked away. He left me with my precious life. Forget my credit cards, my whatever, but he left me with my life. I jumped in my car, locked the door. I jammed the paintings in my car. I almost at one point thought I had poked a hole in my canvass convertible top, but could have cared less. I shoved my key in the ignition, and squeeled out of my garage- parking spot so fast with no where in mind to go. My first instinct was to call 911. But I called Kil first. After initially freaking out, he said to hang up the phone and call 911. As I called, I was approaching Music Row and I told the dispatcher everything and he said I did the right thing by leaving and need to meet the police at a safe location. When I arrived at the shell station in Hillsboro Village, I was welcomed with about 10 metro policemen and Vanderbilt policemen. In most situations, one would feel quite overwhelmed or even nervous running into that many police cars, yet, I was finally felt a sign of relief.

They took my information and the details of my encounter. After about 5 minutes, the Vanderbilt policeman asked me if I would ride over to the university because they found a man that somewhat fit the description and wanted my help in identifying him if it possibly was the suspect. Unfortunately it was not our guy.

I asked the cops, specifically the female cops, if they had any other instances lately in the area. The nice lady cop said, as female to female, Yes. Except its not this guy. It’s a white male that is attempting to take women walking in the village by themselves ( mostly the back streets)thats are unaware of their environment and attempting rape. They had 2 cases last week.

The cops followed me home and let me get Princess to take her for her final potty break before returning to my condo to lock to deadbolts for the evening.

Ladies, I tell this story because I am an independent single female that sometimes fails to be fully aware of my surroundings. We watch the news every evening about horible things that happen to people around our great city of Nashville, and it never occurs to us that something could actually happen. I love my neighborhood and am proud to call Hillsboro Village my home. Yet, it is a metropolitan neighborhood (well, this happens in the burbs also, but statistics do say we are at a higher risk) and being aware of your surroundings at all times could save your life. I don’t know what I did right or wrong, but I know that I am alive and I can say that the Lord Jesus was watching over me like he does every step that I take! But I will say this. I will make sure that every time I walk out my door, I will have a can of mace, pepper spray or a major high heel in hand to protect myself.

If you live in Hillsboro Village, please be aware of my situation and also Ladies, don’t walk alone or go outside alone. And if you have to, make sure you are aware of your surroundings and have a possible senario worked up in your mind in case something does come up.

And lastly, I will say a prayer for that man. His intentions were not to hurt me I don’t think. If he wanted to hurt me, he could have. This is a man that struggles with addictions and will go to unimaginable lengths for a fix. I will pray for him. I will pray that he becomes free from his addiction and disease.

Psalm 121

5 The LORD watches over you—

the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,

nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—

he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going

both now and forevermore.

Make it a great day-

Lindsey C Langley

www. lynclair.

com

Pass this on to anyone and everyone to help prevent future instances...and also, I would really like to catch this guy for the sake of the community.

Any help or related info would be appreciated !

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Watauga
Bring that girl to the range someone, man. WWOD (What Would Oprah Do?) isn't the sort of thing she needs to be thinking about. :)

Oprah would have her bodyguard(s) to handle the situation.

That girl appears to be too trusting and naive about her 'hood!

Guest flyfishtn

I live about 2.5 to 3 miles from there near DLU. There are a number of vagrants in the area that feed off of the Vanderbilt Campus and hospital. I am glad to hear she reported the situation to the Metro and Vanderbilt police and that she is safe.

This should have made the local news to raise the awareness. Guess it didn't make their radar.

She said several times that she is not aware of her surroundings, maybe not, but she sure can tell the story with vivid details, wow. Oh, and screw Oprah.

Bring that girl to the range someone, man. WWOD (What Would Oprah Do?) isn't the sort of thing she needs to be thinking about. :)

Maybe she needs to take advice from her friend with military experience instead of fat,rich,bit...errr ding bat that cant even pump her own gas!

WWJD=What Would Junglist Do :D

I was just in the area at about 8:00.

Reallllyyy......you didn't happen to wearing a baggy brown hoodie were you?!

Edited by strickj
Guest JavaGuy

My take on this is that she is an artist and was taking some of her work to store it. That would account for the vivid detail in her narrative.

As for Oprah.. I'm sure they had some expert on the show who told Oprah's viewers to do this, that or the other if attacked. However, even the best advice doesn't work all the time because real people don't always play along with the expert's script.

I'm glad the bad guy just walked away this time, but next time, his victim might not be so lucky.

This should have made the local news to raise the awareness. Guess it didn't make their radar.

If every robbery in Davidson Co. similar to this made the news, the news would be two hours long.

On a normal day, not every day mind you, south precinct(east of I65 / west of Murfreesboro pke / south of I 40 / north of the county line) alone gets an easy 6 robberies and most days its closer to 10.

And 99% of all these robberies happen just like the account above. Approached by 1, but usually more males, produce handguns when they have them, they demand money and then leave.

Some are more aggressive or violent(shove the gun in your face or hit you with it)

Be careful out there.

I live about 2.5 to 3 miles from there near DLU. There are a number of vagrants in the area that feed off of the Vanderbilt Campus and hospital. I am glad to hear she reported the situation to the Metro and Vanderbilt police and that she is safe.

Apparently we are neighbors, as I am in that exact same area. Green Hills/Village area has had quite a few incidents in the past few weeks. The Roma pizza where the guy was shot in the head for 3 dollars, the Game Stop robbed at Gun Point, and the Belmont Grocery robbed. It really shows that even though many people think it is safe, there is no such thing.

this girl is smoking hot.

This is called thread crapping.It could get you in trouble

or even banned.Please refrain from post like these in the

future.....unless you have pictures to share with us :P

Remember....next time bring pictures! :)

Guest flyfishtn
Apparently we are neighbors, as I am in that exact same area. Green Hills/Village area has had quite a few incidents in the past few weeks. The Roma pizza where the guy was shot in the head for 3 dollars, the Game Stop robbed at Gun Point, and the Belmont Grocery robbed. It really shows that even though many people think it is safe, there is no such thing.

dwrd, I gonna shoot you a PM. We need to hook up and go shoot sometime.

And yes, irritates me about the latest string of incidents around here. :D

dwrd, I gonna shoot you a PM. We need to hook up and go shoot sometime.

And yes, irritates me about the latest string of incidents around here. ;)

well if that's the case...I'm just a tad south down Granny White. And I've got a new fly rod I've been itching to try out.

Guest lynclair

Hey ladies and gents,

This is actually my story. In a situation that I was in, I did everything to stay calm, I only mention Oprah due to the fact she brings a lot of awareness to independent women, such as myself...and also to bring a little bit of life to writing...as I am a writer.

I will be the first to say I have been wayyy to comfortable and nieve to say the least. I am considering going to the gun range. I noticed that this site brought quite a bit of traffic to my blog because I have it tracked, and thats how I got here :-) Any suggestions on what I would need to purchase...where the gun range is, ect., I would be much appreciative. I have never considered having a gun until now. I am a very lucky girl!

Cheers mates.

And I appreciate who ever posted this blog... I have been thinking about getting a gun, but have no idea where to go from here. Looks like I found the right place!

Guest truthsayer
Hey ladies and gents,

This is actually my story. In a situation that I was in, I did everything to stay calm, I only mention Oprah due to the fact she brings a lot of awareness to independent women, such as myself...and also to bring a little bit of life to writing...as I am a writer.

I will be the first to say I have been wayyy to comfortable and nieve to say the least. I am considering going to the gun range. I noticed that this site brought quite a bit of traffic to my blog because I have it tracked, and thats how I got here :-) Any suggestions on what I would need to purchase...where the gun range is, ect., I would be much appreciative. I have never considered having a gun until now. I am a very lucky girl!

Cheers mates.

And I appreciate who ever posted this blog... I have been thinking about getting a gun, but have no idea where to go from here. Looks like I found the right place!

Welcome. You'll find lots of good information here. I'm not from Nashville, but I have a few suggestions.

Go to a range that someone here recommends.

Shoot lots of different guns.

Buy the most powerful one (or 20) that you can handle and conceal.

Learn to use it well.

Welcome and glad you made it through a horrible ordeal. I'm not in N'ville area, but there are plenty here that are in your area that can steer you toward the right facility/instructor. There are many classes that are offered by certified instructors to teach you basic firearm skills such as safety, handling and shooting skills, the NRA Basic courses come to mind. There are instructors that are members here that have facilities that should be able to advise you with your decision to take your personal safety into your own hands. You have taken the first step and have come to a great place to learn and get some pretty good advice. I will stop at this point and let the experts chime in, you probably won't get much reply tonight due to that most of these guys are on during the day.

Glad you came through that ordeal okay, and doubly glad you see it as a wakeup call.

We'll let the mid TN guys lead you to the right training.

Certainly you should consider getting your HCP.

Off top o' my head...you see The Brave One ? That's a Kahr with which Jodie exacts justice. Small and effective. Good pistola :hyper:

Welcome aboard,

- OS