My first AR build

wmaddox

As a virgin 3 gun shooter, im looking to build my 1st AR. Im guessing I can get everything I need from PSA but im not sure is what is the best build I should try for my first time. Obviously I want to be easy on the pocket my 1st time out. Any ideas?

I would post a link to a complete upper and lower parts kit. But its out of stock. Add a lower and you can have a good AR 15 for around $500.

He didn't say he wanted to build a basic budget AR. How much he wants to spend would be good info to know though.

If you already have an AR, or access to an AR, I'd strongly recommend shooting a few matches before planning your build.

There's a gazillion options out there for pretty much every part on the gun.  Trying to figure all that out is hard enough if you have shot matches.  Trying to do it "blind" seems like a recipe for either spending way too much money, getting stuff you aren't going to be happy with, or both. 

If you are gonna get serious about 3 gun, it probably won't be 500 bucks. I am NOT a 3 gun shooter, but know a little about how they build the best guns. I do own quite a few AR's, and know that I wouldn't try to compete seriously with a bare bones carbine.

You're not going to be competitive for a while unless you're some kind of phenom. So, the gun isn't going to make much difference in your performance early on. You could start with an M&P Sport until your skill level gets to a point where upgrading your equipment will be the only thing that moves you up in the brackets. By then you could have saved enough to build a gun that will make you competitive and you'd have much be3tter fundamentals.. Edited by BigK

If you are gonna get serious about 3 gun, it probably won't be 500 bucks. I am NOT a 3 gun shooter, but know a little about how they build the best guns. I do own quite a few AR's, and know that I wouldn't try to compete seriously with a bare bones carbine.

Meh, I do and I'm able to keep up. All that garbage people throw on their guns just make it more convenient, but it doesn't replace skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Meh, I do and I'm able to keep up. All that garbage people throw on their guns just make it more convenient, but it doesn't replace skill.

I wasn't thinking garbage on a gun. I was thinking designed for the job. Check the muzzle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOHj0VMAD2g

My first to build, not first to shoot. Ive got 22 years in the Infantry so im no stranger to shooting just never have in a 3 gun style competition. So im not sure how much i will enjoy it, so i would like to build for around 500. That way if I don't care for 3 gun i will at least have an AR to throw in with my range gear.

My first to build, not first to shoot. Ive got 22 years in the Infantry so im no stranger to shooting just never have in a 3 gun style competition. So im not sure how much i will enjoy it, so i would like to build for around 500. That way if I don't care for 3 gun i will at least have an AR to throw in with my range gear.

It's never been cheaper to build your own.  There are tons of deals on barrels, lowers and BCGs right now, which traditionally are the higher cost items on a build.  Start parting one together.  The last few builds I did for people didn't just focus on the sticker price, but also shipping fees.  Take advantage of sites that are offering free shipping deals on certain items, or try to order as many items from the same online retailer as possible in order to keep shipping fees down.  You can make a pretty AR for cheap, and it will shoot as well as you can.

Oh I know. Reduced muzzle climb and recoil make it convenient. Doesn't replace skill though.

Of course it doesn't replace skill. We have a budget now. That simplifies things :)

I do most of my competitive shooting with a DPMS sportical with a Miculek compensator.  Except for the comp, all the other changes I have made to it are cosmetic.  I do pretty decent, although most of the competitions I go to do not have anything over 50/75 yard shots.  When you stretch it out is when the nicer barrels/triggers/free float stuff pays off. 

I do most of my competitive shooting with a DPMS sportical with a Miculek compensator.  Except for the comp, all the other changes I have made to it are cosmetic.  I do pretty decent, although most of the competitions I go to do not have anything over 50/75 yard shots.  When you stretch it out is when the nicer barrels/triggers/free float stuff pays off. 

I would think that a compensator is the biggest bang for the buck. Makes a big difference between my two light carbines in followup shots. This whole AR business is a money vs performance tradeoff, no matter how you're gonna use the gun. And, these threads should probably always start with "I have XXX to spend".

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I would think that a compensator is the biggest bang for the buck.

Up to $100 bucks or so, you're probably right.  But if you're willing to move of to $200-$250, a good trigger is going to get you the most noticeable improvement for your dollar.

Edited by dcloudy777

Midway, primary arms, brownells, bravo company, AIM surplus and even Amazon.

That just about covers it. I've built AR's, even during the rough times, with the first four vendors. Palmetto Bug is still on my shit list. Nothing against their product, but their business practices just aren't in the same class as the vendors above.

That just about covers it. I've built AR's, even during the rough times, with the first four vendors. Palmetto Bug is still on my #### list. Nothing against their product, but their business practices just aren't in the same class as the vendors above.

What, the wait time?

What, the wait time?

I had a problem with a lower on sale that was showing in stock. It was wait time... weeks. All the vendors you mentioned are same day shipping if it's in stock. I don't spend a lot of time bashing PSA, but they ain't an A list vendor in my book. They do just fine without me, and I'm just peachy without them. Sure can't kick about their prices.