Protecting the President

I can still remember how it ustawuz.  Remember the video of Reagan getting shot?  Yeah, there was some delay getting the subgun out of the briefcase, but overall the agents moved fast to protect the president and take down the bad guy.  As a State Trooper I helped guard Ford once.  The SS didn’t want any local or state officers anywhere near him.  Some had to disarm even in uniform, to be in the same room with the principal.  They used what was called a diamond formation with several layers.  We were relegated to the very outmost layers, like we could just barely be trusted.  There was no doubt in my mind that the Secret Service agents were 100% committed to keeping their principal alive.  They were also the most arrogant, pompous, holier than thou SOBs I ever worked around.  There were even worse than the FBI and that was pretty bad.

So I really don’t understand how from a professional protection point of view they have fallen so low.  I assume they are still the pompous aholes they used to be, but now the President of the United States is protected by banana republic caricatures of their great predecessors. 

I don’t like the current POTUS any more than most people here, but I also don’t want to see any physical harm come to him or his family.  Besides the idea of “President Biden” giving me nightmares, we just don’t kill the guy because we don’t like anything about him.

I’m guessing the bald guy with glasses is his primary bodyguard, you see him all the time with Obama.  Just watching them on TV gives the impression of a looser area of protection.  I wouldn’t think the training has changed, probably only gotten better and tougher.  The threat level is through the ceiling, so that’s much worse.  So what has changed?  Just political correctness?  Afraid of repercussions after even a good response call?  Different generation not really willing to die for the current guy?

Let’s not make it an Obama bashing thread, that’s too easy.  Why has one of the oldest, best-trained law enforcement services gone so systemically bad?

Cherokee Slim

I think it is a shame, securing the Office of the President of The United States should be one of our most important things we do. Like I have said before, I dislike Obama and his policies but I respect the fact that we have elected him into office and he is our CIC and one of the leaders of the free world. What is happening to the Secret Service is shameful and the entire force should be gutted and replaced with personnel that will take this job seriously. The fact that we have had so many Presidents assassinated and so many attempts thwarted should be enough to keep these guys on guard, but I guess we have a short memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_assassination_attempts_and_plots

I agree with you 110% Omega. The job of protecting the President is not a political one at all. The job of protecting the President of the United States should be considered an honor just to be chosen and intrusted with that kind of responsibility.  I know Cherokee Slim had some choice words for their attitudes when he got to work with them but if I am not mistaken their was an attempt on President Fords life once.

We had only buried about 12 or 13 years earlier and Robert Kennedy in 1967 so back then it was very hard to be an SS person and it required a great deal of "GRIT" and there was always that thought of will you take a bullet to protect the CIC? That question is still out there today and I have my doubts about if this group would be willing to step in front of a gun pointed at President Obama and take that bullet.

I said in an earlier post in another thread that if I were on the SS under this administration and assigned to the Presidents person protection I would indeed take a bullet for him or a member of the first family because that is my job and I knew the risks going in......................JMHO

Comes from the top down like everything else. Bad management equals bad workers.

To paraphrase an old adage:  "The workers do well what the boss checks."  When leaders/bosses don't check how do they even know that the workers understand

basic procedures let alone changes or new procedures.  Complacency at the top usually results in complacency throughout the ranks.   Leadership 101.

I got roped into working "crowd control" at a local meet and greet when his "O"liness was running for office the first time. The SS was a real bunch of jackwagons, but they were all over the crowd and had snipers set up in areas around the perimeter of the event. Humorless SOB's every one.

I have to think that the organization has been watered down in the name of political correctness. No profiling and all that crap.

I believe it is a culture that is derived from more than bad management. The majority of this admin is made up of people that have been selected for their donations to campaigns, or because they are like minded extreme libs.

There is no experience leading most of our gov. Most of these jack wagons could ruin the simplest of programs just by making a few poor decisions much less making them based on political belief. Let it fester for 6 years and the environment is probably self districting out of sheer idiocy.

Toxic, absolutely embarrassing too! Just imagine what we would learn if we still had a media! Edited by Ugly

I believe it is a culture that is derived from more than bad management. The majority of this admin is made up of people that have been selected for their donations to campaigns, or because they are like minded extreme libs.

There is no experience leading most of our gov. Most of these jack wagons could ruin the simplest of programs just by making a few poor decisions much less making them based on political belief. Let it fester for 6 years and the environment is probably self districting out of sheer idiocy.

Toxic, absolutely embarrassing too! Just imagine what we would learn if we still had a media!

In all honesty Ugly, I think I am happier not having a  press that has all the real news that is news to broadcast because to actually know the truth would probably cause most true adult Americans to have night mares just by knowing how bad a shape our country is really in...............jmho

• Like 1

Wouldn't ya hate to be the poor bastard that gets shot protecting that POS?

As much as I dislike Obama, I'd still take a bullet for him. It's his position and office that matter, not the man when it comes to an assassination. Whether the assassin was from within or without, the decision of who gets to sit in the Oval Office shouldn't come from a one loony pulling a trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

In all honesty Ugly, I think I am happier not having a press that has all the real news that is news to broadcast because to actually know the truth would probably cause most true adult Americans to have night mares just by knowing how bad a shape our country is really in...............jmho

Bersa, I think if the majority had real news, we wouldn't have tolerated the takeover that has happened and the crap coming down the pike. Today to me is approaching a level that is similar to the start of the French Revolution. Costs for things are only going to go up. This next tax season should be interesting.
Just look at peoples faces when they are food shopping.
Oh well,

Bersa, I think if the majority had real news, we wouldn't have tolerated the takeover that has happened and the crap coming down the pike. Today to me is approaching a level that is similar to the start of the French Revolution. Costs for things are only going to go up. This next tax season should be interesting.
Just look at peoples faces when they are food shopping.
Oh well

In all honesty Ugly I think most adult true adult Americans already know and can read the writing on the wall. I think it is the younger generation that are in for the really rude awakening because it is the new college Graduates and even the High School graduates that are old enough to vote but not smart enough to stop and take a long hard look at what is happening to the world around them. I have seen news interviews of reporters just out on the streets asking very common sense questions and about 85+% get the answer wrong. Stories that were on the nightly news the evening prior to interviews and they cannot answer them correctly. I love the question of when was the last time you watched the evening news and the answer is either never or "What time does it come on?" My all time favorite question of all is. Who is the President of the United States and about 55% of the ones asked don't know!!!!! Oh yea and most of the interviews are taking place while the person being interviewed is also texting on their phone and the reported has to re-peat the question at least 3 times to get the stupid answer that drools out of that persons face. Folks these are the people that will be in charge of our country in the future and I really feel sorry for my children and grandchildren because with all probability I will be dead by then of old age. I hope so anyway...................jmho

Guest kingarmory

As much as I dislike Obama, I'd still take a bullet for him. It's his position and office that matter, not the man when it comes to an assassination. Whether the assassin was from within or without, the decision of who gets to sit in the Oval Office shouldn't come from a one loony pulling a trigger.

Sorry, a traitor is a traitor regardless of his title.  I wouldn't shake that bastard's hand let alone take a bullet for him.  The title of "ruler" in Germany got degraded as well, and none of us would wish the best for the guy that desecrated the position, likewise I have no love for the idjit that is sitting in the Oval Office dreaming of being the next Idi Amin

Sorry, a traitor is a traitor regardless of his title. I wouldn't shake that bastard's hand let alone take a bullet for him. The title of "ruler" in Germany got degraded as well, and none of us would wish the best for the guy that desecrated the position, likewise I have no love for the idjit that is sitting in the Oval Office dreaming of being the next Idi Amin

Obama isn't the problem with America; he is only a symptom. Americans are what is wrong with America.

• Like 1

Obama isn't the problem with America; he is only a symptom. Americans are what is wrong with America.

+1, "We" elected him, twice, so its not a simple case of one person being the problem.  The painful fact is that the US has become quite literally a "kept" society wanting something for nothing.  So anyone that promises to give us more with out us having to work for it is ok in our book.

Last time our country had a President Assassinated was when JFK (a Democrat) was in office and we got LBJ which was a very sorry excuse for a President. With Kennedy we knew what we had and with LBJ the War Machines got what they wanted. With Obama, we know kind of what we have which has a book of flaws to long to mention but if anything did happen look what would fill his shoes . Shotgun Double barrel Joe Biden. That would be about like getting another LBJ but maybe even a little worse. Believe me when I say I am not a fan of either of the two of them but I do and always will respect the office they hold as long as I live..............jmho