POA vs POI

Been loading pistol ammo for about a year, 9mm and .380 mostly. Moved on to my 30-30 a few weeks ago. I got out this weekend and tried them out. I sighted the rifle in with factory Remington core lokt 150 gr at 100 yards. Moved on to my plated xtreme 150 gr and some Speer HCSP 150 gr. POI is 6" low for both loads using IMR 4064. I am trying to understand why my reloads are shooting 6" lower than factory. Just to make sure that it was not a fluke, I shot 5 more rounds of factory after the reloads and sure enough they hit POA

Any insight would be appreciated.

Because your reloads are not the same recipe as the factory loads.  Different bullets, different powder, different equipment, etc.  Is not an apples to apples comparison.

Have you tried loading several different charge weights and testing them out?

I did different charge weights up to max load. Looking back at the target now I see the last set of 5 rounds did rise 2-3" but the group opened up so I didn't really pay attention. I posted this on a different forum and it was suggested that recoil and muzzle rise probably played a big part. Factory loads being a higher velocity and creating more recoil and muzzle rise. This makes sense now after re-evaluating the target.

Anyone have any suggestions for some better powders. I just picked up a pound of IMR3031 to try.

I've been workin up some loads for my Glenfield lately. Been gettin some good results with BL-C(2), and the LEVERevolution. And the Win 748 is showin a little promise also.

I'm using the Hornaday 160ftx's with the first two, and a170gr FN with the Win748.

Good luck.

Working up a load takes time and iterations, more of each if you're working without a chronometer. I wouldn't get anywhere near a "max load" without one. Different powder and bullets will behave differently. Recoil and muzzle rise have nothing to do with it unless you're flinching.

Excellent suggestions and info already.

[u]Chronograph[/u] like peejman mentioned. It's a necessity for safe load development, especially in rifle calibers, imho.

I know I've done some .30-30 lead "plinking" loads that shot 12-18" lower than factory rounds in my Marlin...due to their markedly slower velocity it was expected.

Excellent suggestions and info already.

Chronograph like peejman mentioned. It's a necessity for safe load development, especially in rifle calibers, imho.

I know I've done some .30-30 lead "plinking" loads that shot 12-18" lower than factory rounds in my Marlin...due to their markedly slower velocity it was expected.

Chronograph... :doh: .  Somehow chronometer didn't seem right, but I couldn't come up with chronograph at the time.  You'd have to be pretty darn quick to use a chronometer on bullets.  :rofl:

• Like 1