P-51 pilot who chased a German plane through the Eiffel Tower dies.

Will Carry

Cool story.  If you like that, read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Higher-Call-Incredible-Chivalry-War-Torn/dp/0425252868

If you're nearby, you can borrow my copy. 

I read it! One of THE best books I have ever read on World War II.  Imagine being a man who considered being a Lutheran minister but decided to fly for German Airlines. Then you realize that the German Airlines was the Luftwaffe. Franz Stigler  was an excellent pilot with 17 kills (real kills) but when he came upon a B-17 shot up so bad that he could see through the plane from the bullet and cannon holes. The B-17 was running on 3 engines accept one would catch fire and they would have to shut it down to "cool off". Stigler had a full load of ammo and could have sent the B-17 down easily. Most of the crew was dead or wounded. He then remembered what he was taught in flight school. "Whatever you do in this war, you will have to answer to a Higher Call" .......................what a great read!

• Like 2

I saw an interview with him several years ago. He said he didn't consider it dangerous because it's so big under those spans with plenty of room to fly through.

I always wanted to nip under the Natchez Trace bridge. Should be plenty of room.
I have seen crop dusters go under power lines. One of the great crop dusters around here when I was growing up around the EAA guys said the first things he did everytime he flew in tight spots was to scare the s#|+ out of himself and he was really careful the rest of the day. This man is a true hero. Obviously one of the greats.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guest kingarmory

Would be hard pulling 6G turns with a set of bowling balls swinging there.  Its sad that those sort of men are a rarity nowadays rather than the norm, it was that sort of attitude that made this country great.

BTW, not allot of room in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_txdqnVP3-c

I can't find it now, but I have seen footage from the ground of an airplane flying though it.  Looked scarier from the ground I thought as you saw the speed of the airplane more.

• Like 1