Hoping for the Best, preparing for the Worst.

MrNobody

Today I was looking at the polls and I got very discouraged. Democratic house, senate and possibly a democratic president. My passion for firearms started right around the time the Brady bill was sunsetting so I did not have to suffer through any of it. This post is about two things. First I would like to know what is out there (I've heard of another version of Brady) and secondly I would like to hear what people are going to do if he gets elected.

Are you burying guns in the backyard? What would you buy? High capacity magazines? "assault style" weapons? NFA stuff? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I'm a relatively young guy so maybe I'm getting worked up for nothing. You tell me.

If Obama gets elected and you had a thousand dollars to spend what are you getting and then what are you doing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the next few years are not going to be kind to us gun owners. I'm trying to stock up on components, since I reload. If I had a grand right now, I'd buy a $450 RIA 1911, two stripped AR lowers, mags (already have 6 for the AR) and as much .223 as I could. I think I'd be able to get the uppers later as I could afford them.

Guest EasilyObsessed
I think the next few years are not going to be kind to us gun owners. I'm trying to stock up on components, since I reload. If I had a grand right now, I'd buy a $450 RIA 1911, two stripped AR lowers, mags (already have 6 for the AR) and as much .223 as I could. I think I'd be able to get the uppers later as I could afford them.

Why the 1911? It is my understanding that those were not affected by the last AWB because they naturally have a capacity of less than 10 rounds. FWIW...other than buying a couple 15rd magazines for the 92FS, I started shooting late enough that the first AWB never really affected me.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Good point. I just want a 1911 daggummit! I have no idea what 500% tax on guns and ammo will look like... I just want what I want now!

Oh yea, the first AWB didn't affect me at all either. I've only been shooting about 3 yrs.

No collection is complete without at least one 1911 :up:

Likely there will not be any problems in the first couple of years of Barak's presidency. There are many other issues that He wishes to tackle before taking on guns. I think there will be enough backlash at the policies that he creates in those 2 years that you will see a swing to the conservative in the next mid term elections. This is a good thing. I like having a House and a President from different parties. A lot less gets done on capital hill which is a good thing for you and me.

As for buying things - if there is another ban what do you think will happen? Do you think it will be like the last one? It won't. It will be much more severe. The dems realized that it didn't work the way they had it.

As for burying things - Nope, I just sold them all right before the ban went in to effect.

As for a 1911. I had one, I didn't like it.

I read a about a bill Obama had in IL. If I am not mistaken, if it passed all assault style weapons would have to be turned in in 90 days. Think God it didn't pass. I haven't read anything that bad in congress but who knows what they will come up with.

I was looking at a Saiga-12. Its an AK style shotgun. Can get 5 or 10 rd clips or a 20 rd attachment. If they also ban ammo it may not affect shotgun shells.

My biggest question, when we buy a weapon, I know they do a background check. Do they also record what you are buying? If so buying any thing could later be confiscated. And yes I am new to gun ownership. About a year. Its people like Obama that make me wish I had started buying guns a long time ago. I guess better late then never.

Guest EasilyObsessed
My biggest question, when we buy a weapon, I know they do a background check. Do they also record what you are buying? If so buying any thing could later be confiscated.

It is my understanding that the records of background checks are supposed to be deleted within a set number of days. Of course...since everything is computerized, I don't ever remotely believe that, but that is what the law says :up:

My main concern is with a "Super Majority" and this "Universal Health Care".

Combine the two and I see a push for insane taxes on both firearms and ammo. In the name of "Health Care". The argument would be presented that gun violence is causing an unfair burden on the "Medical Industry" and so a tax would have to be leveled on those who own, and use firearms and ammo. (There is no profit in banning all weapons.)

Sort of a "Tobacco" tax situation. Liberals would eat it up. It would be small at first, but quickly get raised every time there was a "shooting" until the middle class could not afford to own or shoot weapons. I could imagine taxes on Gun Shops, Ranges, and even firearm related accessories.

(Maybe even a Federal Tax on Alcohol to offset DUI related health costs.)

We are heading into a period of financial uncertainly like we have never seen. Obama will have a lot of pressure to full fill at least some of his promises and he will have to pay for them somehow. If not he will be fighting in four years as an incumbent and answer the question "Why aren't we better off than we were four years ago."

The problem with building a campaign on change is you have to deliver. If not you have to be able to blame someone on why it didn't happen. With a "Super Majority" that would be next to impossible. So they will have to figure out some way to pay for all this "Change".

Not trying to be all gloom and doom... but this election is more serious than many people realize... on many fronts. Just my opinion though.

Yes, the TBI is supposed to destroy the records within 72 hours. However, the gun dealer that you purchased from has to keep the form for life (I think it is like 12 years). This includes all of YOUR information and the information on the firearm. So Johnny ATF agent could come knocking on your door looking for x-firearm.

Guest bkelm18
Today I was looking at the polls and I got very discouraged. Democratic house, senate and possibly a democratic president. My passion for firearms started right around the time the Brady bill was sunsetting so I did not have to suffer through any of it. This post is about two things. First I would like to know what is out there (I've heard of another version of Brady) and secondly I would like to hear what people are going to do if he gets elected.

House Resolution 1022 is the updated AWB. It makes the last one look like heaven. Many many more things are on the ban list and this one doesn't have a sunset, so it wont end after a certain amount of time like the last one did. It's been in the subcommittees and hasn't made any progress for at least well over a year now. So... who knows?

If the new AWB passes, we're all going to be whistling Dixie and grabbing our ankles.

As for burying them in the back yard, I don't think that will work. they already make metal detectors....and the ATF would be happy to use them.

Unfortunately, so many folks that carry and own firearms are individualists. they're not like the rainbow coalition, they don't bow up everytime someone even looks at them wrong...so many people will be victimized in direct contravention to the 2nd amendment.

I would suggest that you stock up on ammo, stock up on reloading supplies and find a dang good place to put your gear and weapons.

Guest nraforlife

As I have stated before, I HAVE SOLD MOST of my firearms to some big black dude with a gold tooth down my the projects, the rest I sold to some spanish speaking fellow that was in the back of a pickup with other spanish speaking gentlemen. Receipts, I had receipts but the dog ate em.

As I have stated before, I HAVE SOLD MOST of my firearms to some big black dude with a gold tooth down my the projects, the rest I sold to some spanish speaking fellow that was in the back of a pickup with other spanish speaking gentlemen. Receipts, I had receipts but the dog ate em.

This reminds me of something Marswolf said in another thread. Get a month old newspaper, flip to the obituaries, and get a name. "I don't know what he did with them after he bought 'em."

Guest GUTTERbOY

Folks, it's going to take more than just a Democratic supermajority in DC to pass an AWB that includes confiscation. The people in the Feinstein/Boxer/Schumer camp will willingly get behind confiscation, but the more moderate Dems are not going to be so gung-ho about supporting a bill that will almost certainly put them on the unemployment line.

The one thing I think we can count on if another ban is passed is there being no sunset provision. They know that's what brought down the first edition, and that mistake won't be made again.

No matter what happens, let's all recall the old maxim: "If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up." I don't think it'll come to that in the next four years, but they're still words to live by.

I don't think there will be another AWB in the near future. I also think the Dems will lose in mid terms. However, there is plenty that the President can do to restrict our freedom without Congressional approval. From the obvious like banning importation to the subtle like crippling the NICS.

My advice, if there is something foreign you want get it before Obama takes office and spend whatever is left on ammo or reloading supplies.

Are you burying guns in the backyard? What would you buy? High capacity magazines? "assault style" weapons? NFA stuff? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I'm a relatively young guy so maybe I'm getting worked up for nothing. You tell me.

If Obama gets elected and you had a thousand dollars to spend what are you getting and then what are you doing?

While the polls may look discouraging, this thing isn't over. There are other polls out there that put this race in a statistical dead heat. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. Im feeling slightly optimistic here. Hell the Titans are 6 and 0 for goodness sake! So get out there and vote...and at least your conscious will be clear that you did your part. He that doesn't vote, will not have earned his right to complain should you know who get in.

Edited by PaiMei
While the polls may look discouraging, this thing isn't over. There are other polls out there that put this race in a statistical dead heat. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. Im feeling slightly optimistic here. Hell the Titans are 6 and 0 for goodness sake! So get out there and vote...and at least your will be conscious clear that you did your part. He that doesn't vote, will not have earned his right to complain should you know who get in.

Already voted now I'm just anxiously waiting....

Like my mom remind me tonight Dewey was a shoe in kinda like Obama is now according to the news, But the next day after election was over Truman WINS. So never say never and John McCain served as a POW lets see Obama do that. But do other young Americans besides me think about that no they want CHANGE. I respect John McCain ten times more than Obama and The T-shirts with Obama and Martin Luther King Jr. Obama can't hold a candle MLK Jr. never will be half the man he was. Rant over sorry:rant:

$1000 is not enough to really do much ... maybe buy $500 worth of ammo, a couple of AR lowers, and some AR mags. I think that ammo will be taxed so high that it will no longer be affordable.

The NRA is pushing this site http://gunbanobama.com/

and the word from the Obama's own website

http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/#crime-and-law-enforcement

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama also favors commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. He supports closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. He also supports making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Guest canynracer

What scares me is that in my mind, guns are the FIRST things he will go after...low lying fruit, easy win...no permits, and BC's on ammunition......and if he takes your guns...he lessens the "resistance"....I would say stock up on Ammo...the 2a says nothing about ammo, so its free game to regulate.

dunno, im not a politician, but it seems like the logical FIRST step...easy wins, so he can push for all the "good" he did in the four years, thats why we need to elect him again....:lol:

Guest nraforlife
Like my mom remind me tonight Dewey was a shoe in kinda like Obama is now according to the news, But the next day after election was over Truman WINS. So never say never and John McCain served as a POW lets see Obama do that. But do other young Americans besides me think about that no they want CHANGE. I respect John McCain ten times more than Obama and The T-shirts with Obama and Martin Luther King Jr. Obama can't hold a candle MLK Jr. never will be half the man he was. Rant over sorry:rant:

When McCain wins, and it was close, the 'we was robbed' crowd is going to go nuts... Glad I do not live around any major welfare cities

$1000 is not enough to really do much ... maybe buy $500 worth of ammo, a couple of AR lowers, and some AR mags. I think that ammo will be taxed so high that it will no longer be affordable.

1000 rounds XM193 $370.00

20 C Prod. Mags $228.50

2 AR 15 Lowers $300.00

AR 15 Spare Parts $100.00

Total $998.50

Who says $1000 won't get you much? You even have some "CHANGE" left for a coke.