Global Warming

gregintenn

Correct. How do they get into the earth's atmosphere without causing a hole in the ozone layer, as per Bersaguy's theory? He says that there wasn't a hole there prior to 1970, and I'm quite confident we've had meteors hit earth well before then. Do you only making a hole when exiting the earth's atmosphere? I'm just asking. I'm no climatologist by any means.

I haven't had enough coffee to read his essay yet :). My bad. AFIK, the last meteor that was big enough to stand a chance of punching a permanent hole on the ozone layer killed off all the dinosaurs. The result wasn't global warming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion.

This is one of the theories started in late 70's. My theory is not based on one meteor the size of a space Shuttle coming through the atmosphere once every hundred years striking the Earth which would in turn put us all in another Ice age. I am talking in theory about objects the size of a shuttle making a continuous exit and entrance coming and going back through our atmosphere. "note" the skies, space and atmosphere has been studied as far back as records have been kept and many of the products and chemicals the Government and Al Gore and several others want to blame for this were being used back in the 1920s but we didn't have a hole until after the space race...............jmho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion.

This is one of the theories started in late 70's. My theory is not based on one meteor the size of a space Shuttle coming through the atmosphere once every hundred years striking the Earth which would in turn put us all in another Ice age. I am talking in theory about objects the size of a shuttle making a continuous exit and entrance coming and going back through our atmosphere. "note" the skies, space and atmosphere has been studied as far back as records have been kept and many of the products and chemicals the Government and Al Gore and several others want to blame for this were being used back in the 1920s but we didn't have a hole until after the space race...............jmho

Thanks. I'm definitely in the learning stage. Al Gore could be right for all I know, but I have my doubts. I sure hope you didn't take offense to my remarks.

Thanks. I'm definitely in the learning stage. Al Gore could be right for all I know, but I have my doubts. I sure hope you didn't take offense to my remarks.

I never take offense when folks are expressing opinions about issues and someone doubts my opinion. After all it is just an opinion. I have been interested in the Space Age and the universe. I have always been a Star Trek nut but became more of one when 2nd Generation and Voyager came along later. I know that it is all fantasy and Star Wars was another one and I loved the statement made by Hans Solo when he said that is the warp drive was not set correctly they could fly into a star at Light Speed. Warp Drive and Light Speed has always fascinated me. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to travel so fast that the oxygen in you blood is locked in time for an undisclosed period of time. Now with that said.

I have always been interested in the hole in the Ozone ever since i heard about it. I am also a very logical person when I want to be. My Son in Law calls me Spock most of the time when he's around me. He told my daughter that her father has to be the most logical person he has ever met. I don't think it is as much logic and it is curiosity. When I am being sold a bill of goods that just don't seem logical I become more curious to find some logic in it.

When I began hearing what was being blamed for the cause of the hole in our Earths Ozone the logic was not there. What was there was a scam with plans to make a bunch of companies a lot of money and the Government was going to help them. Any time the Government orders a company to alter a product formula first thing the company does it raise the price such as the case in Hair Spray when the companies ad to change out their propellants and move to a pump bottle formula which they did for about 5 years and soon gas operated hair spray propellants was back on shelves. Did it change. I don't think  so because if you held a lighter in front of an old can of hair spray you could have a flame thrower. You can with the new stuff also but the prices never came back down. In 1975 the Auto manufacturers were all required to have EGR Valves and Catalytic Converters on them before the could sell them and Unleaded gas was introduced and so on but most of ya'll probably remember those days. Every year the EPA put more and more demands on Auto makers to lower the Carbon emissions and they were telling the Auto makers how to do it. Every time I heard about new regulations and got to read them I just laughed and shook my head. 

In about 1978 the EPA told the Auto makers to drop the compression of their engines from 10.1-1 to 9.5.-1 and gave them some more equipment to add to the cars and light trucks. Well it didn't give the EPA the outcome they expected so in 1979 they took compression back  to 9.0.-1. Again didn't get the effect they thought they would and I just laughed. These are suppose to be people with knowledge running the EPA.

I got my chance in 1981 to show the EPA just how stupid they were and I didn't let it get away. I was working in my shop when 3 suits came walking in. They ask or the owner and I said that be me. They asked me if I did emissions testing on Customers cars before they took them in for testing. I said if your asking if I have a 3 gas analyzer, you know I do because your standing right next to it and one of them chuckled slightly. They had a few fishing questions to ask about how i repaired a car that would not pass and I said that depends on what it needed. Finally I was done playing their game and I Said gentlemen, lets quit wasting both of out times. I know that just about everyone employed at the EPA is an idiot that knows less than zero about the Internal Combustion Gasoline engines and that is why every year the emissions get worse every year and requires more and more just added to them to meet your own Emission demands. I said i could tell you nut I would rather show you. What did you drive up here in and they had rented a new  Lincoln. I had a customers 55 chevy in the shop that I had turned up the day before. It's a 55 chevy with a 1959 327/ 375 hp Fueler with hooker headers dualled out with two 650 dual pumpers and all the good stuff inside the motor with 11.1.1 dome pistons and Isky cam. I told them I would bet them $100.00 the 55 would have cleaner emissions readings than the Lincoln.

They took the bet and we drove both cars 9 miles down the road to one of their testing centers. They pulled in one lane and I pulled in another. They tested both and the guy testing th 55 came out to make sure one of the sniffers didn't fall out. He walked back in and printed it and we drove back and they got out with cat ate the canary smiles on their faces and they handed me their paper and yea, the Lincoln passed with a 2.1 Hyrdocarbons and a 1.0 CO. They looked at the 55 paper and is had readings of zero across all the sections. Oh yea never bet with Feds, none of them carry cash. They asked me how that old car got such low readings and I said give me a job making 6 figures and i will tell you. They turned around and left. That was one of the best days of my life. I got to stick it to the EPA.

Ozone is a gas, and subject to winds to alter its density and effect movement like any other gas.  You can't punch a "permanent" hole in the ozone layer with a physical object.  Spacecraft, rockets, meteors, ect...go through the ozone layer, but it reconstitutes itself without a permanent disruption.  Any object pushing through it only causes a temporary disruption in the area it went through.  So, Bersa, I think we can rule out your theory.

The issue with ozone depletion isn't that there is are literal holes, but that there are areas where the layer is depleted so much that too much UV radiation from the sun is coming in.  It would be like if you had sunglasses with spots that were differently shaded; more light would getting in some places than others.  These thinned out areas have settled over the polar regions thanks to atmospheric air motions and polar stratospheric clouds.  Less protection from the sun in these areas means the ice there melts faster than the Earth's natural cycle intended.

If you have HBOGo or OnDemand, Vice did a great episode on this in the 2nd season, sending their lead guy out to Greenland to see what is happening first hand.  They showed how the atmospheric air motions have taken pollution from industrial countries and deposited it onto the ice sheets, turning them into a kind of dirty ice, being able to absorb more sunlight, thus melting faster than would naturally occur. 

This is the "debrief" from it if you don't have HBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxk64kbM30

Other practical issues are when the countries closest to the melting ice are able to go in and exploit the resources that were previously buried under all that ice. Vice on HBO also had another episode on how all the countries in the arctic region are worried about Russia making a play for the resources beyond their internationally recognized jurisdictional claims in that regard.  Even NATO can see this threat coming and is actually preparing for it.

I may not buy the sky is falling, "change the way we live right now" type of argument about climate change/global warming...but I think it's ignorance that with so much of the planet now having industrial output,  anyone can dismiss that idea that we aren't making changes our habitat is unable to naturally correct on its own.

Edited by btq96r

Ozone is a gas, and subject to winds to alter its density and effect movement like any other gas.  You can't punch a "permanent" hole in the ozone layer with a physical object.  Spacecraft, rockets, meteors, ect...go through the ozone layer, but it reconstitutes itself without a permanent disruption.  Any object pushing through it only causes a temporary disruption in the area it went through.  So, Bersa, I think we can rule out your theory.

The issue with ozone depletion isn't that there is are literal holes, but that there are areas where the layer is depleted so much that too much UV radiation from the sun is coming in.  It would be like if you had sunglasses with spots that were differently shaded; more light would getting in some places than others.  These thinned out areas have settled over the polar regions thanks to atmospheric air motions and polar stratospheric clouds.  Less protection from the sun in these areas means the ice there melts faster than the Earth's natural cycle intended.

If you have HBOGo or OnDemand, Vice did a great episode on this in the 2nd season, sending their lead guy out to Greenland to see what is happening first hand.  They showed how the atmospheric air motions have taken pollution from industrial countries and deposited it onto the ice sheets, turning them into a kind of dirty ice, being able to absorb more sunlight, thus melting faster than would naturally occur. 

Other practical issues are when the countries closest to the melting ice are able to go in and exploit the resources that were previously buried under all that ice. Vice on HBO also had another episode on how all the countries in the arctic region are worried about Russia making a play for the resources beyond their internationally recognized jurisdictional claims in that regard.  Even NATO can see this threat coming and is actually preparing for it.

I may not buy the sky is falling, "change the way we live right now" type of argument about climate change/global warming...but I think it's ignorance that with so much of the planet now having industrial output,  anyone can dismiss that idea that we aren't making changes our habitat is unable to naturally correct on its own.

I don't deny being ignorant, but I'll call a person arrogant who thinks they are important enough to destroy something God designed. The earth is designed to heal itself from anything we're able to do.

I don't deny being ignorant, but I'll call a person arrogant who thinks they are important enough to destroy something God designed. The earth is designed to heal itself from anything we're able to do.

Yep. But it may puke us up like a bad shrimp in the process of healing itself :)

Like I said, it is my theory and I am glad to see that your so quick to rule out my opinion so quick and be so absolutely positive that your theory is automatically 100% correct. I don't believe the sky is falling either. And do I think that man has done things to Mother Earth. Of course I do. Man in all reality is the cruelest animal on Earth when it comes to nature. With that said I have never believed in Global Warming but I do believe in Climate Change. Just not in the same way as the SKY is Falling people do.  Long before man was ever here the earth went through several different cycles spanning for 100's to 1000's of years. It is a natural evolution of Mother Earth, Earth Quakes are getting more frequent, Volcanic eruptions are taking place more often. She is telling us time is short so enjoy it wile we can. People worry about the oceans rising and flooding the earth. GOD said he will never destroy the Earth with water again. Next time it would be by fire. for many years I thought the fire would be a nuclear war type fire. But now I am waiting for Yellow Stone to pop because when that Volcano pops it's cork the United State will be pretty much shot along with most of Canada and probably part of Mexico and I believe when she goes it will set off a chain reaction cause all the fault lines to react all over the world.....................JMHO