Open Carry Dress Code.

Let's leave the open vs concealed debate for another thread.

That being said, why does it feel like the normal dress code options for open carriers fall into the following three categories?

1) Tacticool. Too many ventures into the Grip Zone and one too many Mountain Dew Code Reds with their Call of Duty.

2) Denim shorts and beater. Often with either a Hi Point or a Taurus in a Fobus.

3) Nerdy "dress to impress" collared shirt, tucked in, clean Super Cuts hairstyle, and Khaki shorts.

Now, I know I'm making some harsh generalizations here, but here in Tennessee this is what I've seen.

I open carry often, but God help me if I'm going to tuck my damn shirt in or dress like a douche canoe to make the public view me as some sort of safe Napoleon Dynamite perusing the aisles of Kroger with my nunchucks. I like to think I'm stylish(and my wardrobe reflects the current trends in the country music industry)..

Maybe I'm way off base here. Or maybe I'm just an a*shole.

Is this what you have in mind; http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/1514/1-1/adult-gunfighter-western-costume.jpg

• Like 1

I open carry often, but God help me if I'm going to tuck my damn shirt in or dress like a douche canoe to make the public view me as some sort of safe Napoleon Dynamite perusing the aisles of Kroger with my nunchucks. I like to think I'm stylish(and my wardrobe reflects the current trends in the country music industry)..

So let me get this straight. The guy dressed like Florida Georgia Line is criticizing someone else's choice of attire? Seriously? :lol:

I have to say, I'd probably rather encounter Poindexter OCing because he probably has the ability to carry on a conversation deeper than "Girlbeertruck...night, dirt, girlbeertruck! Redneck! 'Murica!"

"Yeehawnascarbarbecuefourwheeldrive!" 

fglihert.jpg

Edited by 56FordGuy
  • Like 2

So let me get this straight. The guy dressed like Florida Georgia Line is criticizing someone else's choice of attire? Seriously? :lol:

I have to say, I'd probably rather encounter Poindexter OCing because he probably has the ability to carry on a conversation deeper than "Girlbeertruck...night, dirt, girlbeertruck! Redneck! 'Murica!"

"Yeehawnascarbarbecuefourwheeldrive!"

fglihert.jpg

Hey now, he could be talking about Taylor Swift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't see too much open carriers out my way. The most amusing ones were:

1) Guy wearing huting camo from head to toe, with a flat dark earth hi-point in a drop leg holster at 12:00am at the local Wal-Mart;

Coon or hog hunter maybe? 

I've only seen a few people OCing in TN, and all were dressed pretty normally. No shorts, beaters, or tacti-cools. I did see one driving a school bus (saw him walk from a gas station to the bus) the other day, which I thought was interesting. He was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and had a  Glock in a leather holster. Nothing unusual-looking at all otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know a lot. But, I do know that anybody that open caries a Hi Point should probably be kicked in the balls.

I'm a retired senior and a vet, who CC around the neighborhood and OC around the house/yard. I put over 400 rounds through my handgun so far at the range with absolutely no problems at all and it is very accurate.  It is a little heavy but I carry it fine as I do not have a red neck beer belly.  It's not as 'pretty' and expensive as you guys handguns, but it is reliable and does the job of protecting my family as it was designed to do. Oh BTW, it's a Hi Point.

I'm a retired senior and a vet, who CC around the neighborhood and OC around the house/yard. I put over 400 rounds through my handgun so far at the range with absolutely no problems at all and it is very accurate. It is a little heavy but I carry it fine as I do not have a red neck beer belly. It's not as 'pretty' and expensive as you guys handguns, but it is reliable and does the job of protecting my family as it was designed to do. Oh BTW, it's a Hi Point.

So, what's your point? Do you want him to feel bad about saying anyone that owns a hi point should be kicked in the balls because you're a senior citizen and a veteran? I'm sure he was only kidding.

Coon or hog hunter maybe? 

I've only seen a few people OCing in TN, and all were dressed pretty normally. No shorts, beaters, or tacti-cools. I did see one driving a school bus (saw him walk from a gas station to the bus) the other day, which I thought was interesting. He was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and had a  Glock in a leather holster. Nothing unusual-looking at all otherwise. 

I'm not sure. He was there buying groceries with his family (who weren't wearing cammo) but it could have been a run before some early morning hunting. I was more amused by the FDE hi-point, and the fact that he had found a drop leg holster to fit.

I'm a retired senior and a vet, who CC around the neighborhood and OC around the house/yard. I put over 400 rounds through my handgun so far at the range with absolutely no problems at all and it is very accurate.  It is a little heavy but I carry it fine as I do not have a red neck beer belly.  It's not as 'pretty' and expensive as you guys handguns, but it is reliable and does the job of protecting my family as it was designed to do. Oh BTW, it's a Hi Point.

Just joking. They do work. And, if you run out of ammo, it will kill anything in North America using it as a club. :)

• Like 1

So, what's your point? Do you want him to feel bad about saying anyone that owns a hi point should be kicked in the balls because you're a senior citizen and a veteran? I'm sure he was only kidding.

My point was to offset several stupid comments, including yours, by some reality facts.

• Like 1

My point was to offset several stupid comments, including yours, by some reality facts.

Didn't work :)

We all know that they work. We all know why they exist. And, YOU weren't the target of the ball kicking comment. It was meant for the guy living in his mom's basement, and open carrying to be a badass. Lighten up, Francis.

I work retail and see this young couple In the store all the time. When I say young they can't be over 25. Look 16 to me but my age explains that. He open carries a hipoint in a belt loop holster(piece of leather on belt with gun in). He has to open carry because you couldn't conceal that gun in a suitcase. I am glad to see them carrying because that is all they can probably afford. When I was 21-22 I couldn't afford a wife much less a gun to protect her with. I judge no one but at least he can protect his own. Plus one for him.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by jtmaze
  • Like 1

I work retail and see this young couple In the store all the time. When I say young they can't be over 25. Look 16 to me but my age explains that. He open carries a hipoint in a belt loop holster(piece of leather on belt with gun in). He has to open carry because you couldn't conceal that gun in a suitcase. I am glad to see them carrying because that is all they can probably afford. When I was 21-22 I couldn't afford a wife much less a gun to protect her with. I judge no one but at least he can protect his own. Plus one for him.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that carries one (last time I checked), again because it's all he can afford. I think his TV may have cost more than an HK though :)

This is a totally non serious thread including all the comments. Perhaps take them for what they are - humor. No one is trying to knock anyone for what they choose to defend themselves with. God bless you for serving our country and for making it long enough to be an ol' geezer! ;) :lol:

This is a totally non serious thread including all the comments. Perhaps take them for what they are - humor. No one is trying to knock anyone for what they choose to defend themselves with. God bless you for serving our country and for making it long enough to be an ol' geezer! ;) :lol:

Crabby one too. He would probably be more bubbly if he had a nice Glock  :rofl:

Seriously (but only for a second), you will find that a lot of us on here are full of shit. Nobody means any harm.