Does a j-frame make you lazy

I carry a S&W 638 with a Crimson Trace Laser Grip. Would I be better off with a Glock? No, because I have three and they are always home in the safe. The J frame is always with me. I have tried all the sub compacts and have not found one yet that was 100 percent reliable. I only have 5 shots but I will take my time and put them where I need them. Five shots that I can count on is probably all I'll ever need.

I dislike the small 5 shot revolvers.   The short frame makes the user have to use excessive force to action the hammer, and that alone makes it about useless for me.  Couple the painful trigger to low capacity, and it is already not looking good.  Then consider that you can get a 9mm, which is as good or better than a j-38, with a better trigger and a higher capacity, easier (for mere mortals) to reload, and a smaller overall frame and profile... there is no redeeming quality to the revolver beyond reliability which is a questionable perk (good autos are equally reliable).    I can't see it.  

As far as pocket guns go, yes, I carry one.  A small 9mm is enough for me in any realistic scenario -- assuming a mob with pitchforks is not headed my way, I am good.  I do have a spare mag for it, so its still 15 total rounds.  I do not feel it means I am lazy, or anything at all.  The small gun has enough firepower, is very well concealed, and is comfortable to wear.   I could give all that up to have something uncomfortable with twice the round count.  Every handgun is compromise... Ill take the comfort.

A few range trips showed me I needed alot of practice if I wanted to depend on my 442 to defend myself.   A 629-5 or 1911 would be my first choices but aren't going to happen.  I often carry a G27 or EMP 40 but at a minimum a P938 with extra magazines. 

they do not make you lazy.  with the small pocket gun your find out that you have the gun on you at all time over the times the bigger gun is in the truck or back home.  small pocket gun are easy to carry all the time. so you are not lazy when you carry any gun, you are smart. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DrNick1986

As I have read through this thread I have found myself torn. 

For over a year my EDC was a Kahr CM40. That small framed gun only carried 5 rounds in the magazine so that meant, with my spare mag, I only had 11 rounds with me and 5 of those would come after a reload. 

With that knowledge I practiced a lot with my Kahr. I practiced dry firing drills at home, general accuracy at the range, drawing from the holster, and even mag swaps. While doing general shooting I was just as accurate with that Kahr as I was with any of my other guns and with all of the practice I was pretty stinking accurate in "draw and fire" scenarios. 

This makes me want to reply on this thread and say how efficient, non-lazy, and practical carrying a smaller framed gun can be. For me being able to pocket carry the Kahr was a huge reason for having it. I am a pastor at a church and while several people know I carry, being able to conceal (and conceal well) was a priority as was being able to quickly disarm when making a hospital visit or running into a post office or visiting a local school. 

With that said ... My new EDC is a Springfield XD Mod 2 (9mm). While this is also a subcompact and indeed can fit in a pocket holster and be carried in some pants pockets it is a larger gun than the Kahr was and is a double stack. I went from having 11 rounds of 40 to having 30 rounds of 9 (13+1 on gun itself and the 16 round extension magazine) and the increase in ammo was a huge factor in making the transition. 

I guess overall my opinion is this:  A small framed gun has its pros and cons and so long as you train properly with them they can be valid primary carry pieces. But carrying a slightly larger gun - if possible - is my preference.