Model 10 revolver

jparris001

Not that I doubt the information you've been given, but if you contact S&W with the model and serial number they'll give you a month and year.  For a research fee (I believe it's $50) they'll give you more detailed information and I believe a letter.  Maybe worth it if you had a real collector's piece.  The month and year info I mentioned are gratis.  

... For $450, I'm still on the fence.

When it comes to pre-lock S&Ws I personally am sometimes willing to pay "a bit much". The old saw "you didn't pay too much you just bought a little early" can sometimes sorta make sense.

Run across a pre-lock, buttery action, low mileage barrel, pristine blueing and a bank vault lockup ... BANG! Any lingering tightwad tendencies go right out the door! : /
That is pushing it for a model 10 unless it is mint and packed away in it's original box. I have seen decent to great model 10s for $350. Is it a 10-5 or a 10-6? How long is the barrel? If it is a 2" or 4" I would pass, but a 3" I would consider. A very rare 2.5" I would pay out the azz for.

If it is in the original box and is in real good condition then $450 is a premium price. The model 10 is a classic handgun but they made a lot of them. If you are going to buy it as an investment, the price is too high. If you are going to shoot it, then you will put so much money in ammo through it that the price makes little difference.  I can shoot $100 worth of ammo easy in one range session. I have shot more money in ammo through my model 36 3", than I paid for the gun.

Edited by Will Carry

I have no dog in this fight and shed myself of all revolvers several years ago.  I suspect I can do an action job on a S&W or Ruger as well as most who are so inclined and limited to the kitchen table.  I've had a fair pile of S&Ws over the years.  If in nice shape 450.00 seems reasonable if you look at how much S&W charges for their Classics series.  A new Mdl 10 MSRPs for 700.00+.  However much I like the machinery of a nice revolver and I used to think the Ruger or S&W designs were the top of heap when it came to reliability for a personal defense handgun, I have since changed my mind and think any of the top tier "plastic" pistols exceed any revolver for utilitarian purposes except for tent peg pounding or skull bashing. After the last combat handgun course I took using revolvers the instructor asked me, What did you think?  I replied, I'm selling both of these revolvers and sticking with a Glock 19.  Why did I say that?  Cause if I ever need more than 5 or 6 bullets the manual dexterity to reload under pressure or injury is too great and too slow.  Will I as a 60 yr old "gray man living under the radar" ever need more than 5 or 6 shots, probably not.  But I want a ready option cause I know how easy it is to miss when "things happen."  However, a nice .357 6" or longer barrel is a nice thing to have for slinging lead at long ranges for fun.

I absolutely love my S&W revolvers. When I get the chance to pick one up at a good to fair price, and I have the cash; I usually will.

But I do not carry a revolver as a primary. I may occasionally have one on me, but on the whole, I am a dyed-in-the-wool auto guy.

Just my preference.

I do usually have several around, and I have a few S&W wheelies I will not part with. But I find I am more comfortable with an auto for carry.

Why? Probably due to the fact I started shooting with autos, and really got into buying when they were the hottest things on the market.

That's been over a span of at least 30+ years.

But having said all that, I still will have a revolver in the bag with me every range trip. They are just more pleasant to shoot for me. And much easier to get new people into shooting with them.