Military Service Ribbons

Sidinman

A while back I ask my mother if I could have my fathers old dress uniform jacket.

It has all his service ribbons.

Well today I went by to show her some pics. and helped her take down and box up the Christmas decorations.

Before I left she pulled the jacket out and gave it to me. Cool!

Well I've been researchin the ribbons and have figured out what they all are except for one.

Am curious if anyone here may have a clue.

He served at the end of WWII & the Korean War.

The ribbon in guestion is the buttom right in the third row.daddysphone317.jpg

• Like 6

If what you meant by 3rd row is above what Omega found, it looks like the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/Item--i-F051_Full_Size_List

Your father was the real deal, man.  But you already knew that.  A CIB with a repeat, and a Purple Heart with what looks like a silver leaf cluster means he had a helluva lot of lead thrown his way, and he caught more than his fair share of it.

I keep my Class 'A' jacket in the closet with the dry cleaning bag over it for the day where I might give it to a kid of my own when I pass on.  Glad to see your family kept his around for you.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

If what you meant by 3rd row is above what Omega found, it looks like the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/Item--i-F051_Full_Size_List

Your father was the real deal, man.  But you already knew that.  A CIB with a repeat, and a Purple Heart with what looks like a silver leaf cluster means he had a helluva lot of lead thrown his way, and he caught more than his fair share of it.

I keep my Class 'A' jacket in the closet with the dry cleaning bag over it for the day where I might give it to a kid of my own when I pass on.  Glad to see your family kept his around for you.

Yeah he caught a few pieces of lead and was bayoneted once in Korea.

Pretty tough Grunt.

Mom said he was nominated for a CMA but another fella in his platoon got it, but they may of been how he ended up with the Bronze Star.

Edited by Sidinman

Let's see if I get this right:

The top badge is the Combat Infantryman's Badge. The star indicates that he earned 2 of them.

Starting with the ribbons and moving left to right:

Row 1: Bronze Star Medal (agree with Dolo that there was possibly a "V" pinned there that broke off)

Row 2: Army Occupation Medal; Korean Service Medal (3 stars = 3 campaign phases); United Nations Korea Service Medal

Row 3: Purple Heart (silver oak leaf indicates 5 awards, plus the ribbon itself = 6 purple hearts); Army Good Conduct Medal (the double looped rope = 3 total awards); European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal  (3 stars = 3 campaign phases) <<Note that this ribbon is actually upside down>>

Row 4: American Defense Medal; World War II Victory Medal; American Campaign Medal

The bottom one on the pocket in the gold border is the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation.

Conclusion: Your father was a certified badass!

ETA: updated based on additional info from Sidinman.

*A bronze oak leaf indicates an additional awarding of the same medal. 5 bronze oak leaves are replaced with 1 silver oak leaf.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 4

I know some of them are out of order. They're supposed to be from "highest" to "lowest" for lack of a better term. If it were me, I'd leave them just as they are since that's clearly how he wore them.

I beleive that the "proper" order would be:

Bronze Star Medal

Purple Heart Medal; Army Good Conduct Medal; American Defense Medal;

American Campaign Medal; European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal;

Army Occupation Medal; Korean Service Medal; United Nations Korea Service Medal

If anyone wants more info on any particular medal, just search the name I provided on Wikipedia and you'll get a good description of the criteria for each.

:usa:

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I know some of them are out of order. They're supposed to be from "highest" to "lowest" for lack of a better term. If it were me, I'd leave them just as they are since that's clearly how he wore them.

I beleive that the "proper" order would be:

Bronze Star Medal

Purple Heart Medal; Army Good Conduct Medal; American Defense Medal;

American Campaign Medal; European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal;

Army Occupation Medal; Korean Service Medal; United Nations Korea Service Medal

If anyone wants more info on any particular medal, just search the name I provided on Wikipedia and you'll get a good description of the criteria for each.

:usa:

I would put them in order.  Those ribbons come off easily and anyone could have replaced them.  Seems like a good candidate to make, or have made, a display case to display them.  This place has some to give you an idea: http://www.azwoodbox.com/id90.html 

The right hand shoulder patch is his "combat patch" and was awarded while he was in the 7th Infantry Division. You are allowed to wear the patch of the unit you were in combat with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

The other, left shoulder, patch was likely the last unit he was with in the military. The left hand patch changes when you change duty assignments. BTW, that is the patch of the an armored division. What is odd is they normally have a number at the top of the patch to indicate which armored division it was. If I was a betting person I bet it was some sort of Class A thing that there is not a number at the top. The patch itself is from the most prestigious armored unit in the Army and has been around for a very, very long time.

The rank insignia is for a 1st Sergeant, or E-8, so he was in fact in charge of a company. It is possible to be a E-8 without being in charge so to get to lead some soldiers meant he was a great guy as well.

The blue rope on the shoulder is his Infantry Blue Cord and is worn by all qualified infantryman.

• Like 2

If you're willing to share, I know I'd like to see you post a synopsis of his service record if you get one from NPRC. I always think it's interesting to know where people have served and how they found their way from one theater of operations to another. If I understand it properly, him having both the American Campaign Medal and the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal means he served in both the Euro/North African theater and in the Pacific theater during WW2.

• Like 1

Dol, I have several of those patches that your talking about, They are put up somewhere around here. The ones I remember are the Screamin Eagle, which may have been where he was in paratroopers school, mother said he graduated from there right before being deployed to Korea. Guess they needed good grunts worst than paratroopers. Then there's another thats actually a 7 but looks like an upside down 2. The other one that I recall at the moment is the Washington moument with a sword across it. I think that was when he was in DC after returning from Korea. After getting out of the hospital he did the tour at the ANC & the Unknown Soldier.

The 7 (upside down 2) emblem sounds familar but I can't place it, and my Google-fu didn't turn up anything.

The Washington Monument and Sword is for the Military District of Washington, one of the Army's 19 major commands (MAJCOMs). I know that Fort Belvoir (currently part of MDW, but I don't think it was in the Korea era) was used as a last stop for soldiers returning from Vietnam before being discharged. Perhaps there was something similar in the Korea era where he was officially assigned following his combat duty and prior to being discharged.

Edited by monkeylizard

ML, when he left DC he went to Fort Knox and became a training officer.AKA: Drill Sgt./ was a Master Sgt. First Class,

Thats where he and my mother meet.

Mother said he had the reputation as the meanest little First Sgt. in Ft. Knox.

As he only stood 5'5" tall.

Edited by Sidinman

Dol, I have several of those patches that your talking about, They are put up somewhere around here. The ones I remember are the Screamin Eagle, which may have been where he was in paratroopers school, mother said he graduated from there right before being deployed to Korea. Guess they needed good grunts worst than paratroopers. Then there's another thats actually a 7 but looks like an upside down 2. The other one that I recall at the moment is the Washington moument with a sword across it. I think that was when he was in DC after returning from Korea. After getting out of the hospital he did the tour at the ANC & the Unknown Soldier.

I believe the 7 that looks like an upside down 2 is from the 7th Medical Command. I believe my dad also wore that patch when he was assigned to the 421st Medical BN (Air Ambulance) in Nellingen, Germany. 

us-army-health-services-command-patch.jp

Edited by LagerHead
  • Like 1