Hottest .22 LR ammo? At least when you can find it!

I found the particular Ruger 10/22, (distributor exclusive Model 1159), that I've been looking for with the help of Guns & More in Smyrna. I have not owned a .22LR for 16 years so I haven't been keeping up with ammunition during that time. So what is considered the hottest .22LR round available when it is available? I know it's a plinker, but I never shoot the cheap stuff out of rifles.

For those interested, the Model 1159 is a blued Sporter with fiber-optic sights and wood stock that has an extended rubber buttplate. It has the longest length of pull like the Target model. At 6'4" that's a feature that I like! :)

http://ruger.com/products/1022DE/specSheets/1159.html

Edited by SWJewellTN
CCI mini mag is considered by many to be the benchmark so to speak. If you're looking for high velocity stuff also check out the Aguila hyper velocity stuff too. I've got a decent supply off Nashville armory, but may be a but if a trip if your be not already coming into Nashville.

The best overall 22 ammunition is the Velocitor ammunition from CCI. It works well with shorter barrels as well as the longer barrels but the best part is it tends to be very accurate. CCI Stinger, Winchester Xpediter and the Aguila SuperMax all need barrel length to reach their velocity. And in a lot of cases the bullet is going so fast the recoil impulse is not long enough to cycle semi auto rifles. I know in my 22 AR as well as my 10/22 CCI Stingers and Aguila SuperMax will not cycle. And I have yet to find a hyper velocity round that is what I would call reasonably accurate.

The problem with the hypervelocity ammunition's accuracy is not the ammunition but the twist rate. Because the hypervelocity rounds use bullets that are identical to 22 short bullets the twist needs to be slower. Green Mountain makes a "Stinger" barrel and I have read it is extremely accurate with hypervelocity rounds but not many others. The Stinger barrel uses a 18 twist barrel, the same as most 22 short guns for 100 years ago. The Stinger barrel also has the longer chamber to better accommodate the longer casing of the hypervelocity rounds.

CCI Stingers still are on top AFAIK...1640 fps at the muzzle.  Good luck finding any.

Yellow Jackets maybe in 2nd place at 1500 fps.  Cables had some...yesterday.

The Aguila SuperMax clocked at 1,750 out of a 18" 22 bolt gun and over 1,800 fps out of a gun I had with a longer barrel. It really is a very, very hot round but it is also very inaccurate in all the guns I tried it in. It would probably be minute of squirrel at 25 yards but at 25 yards there would not ne anything left.

• Like 1

The best overall 22 ammunition is the Velocitor ammunition from CCI. It works well with shorter barrels as well as the longer barrels but the best part is it tends to be very accurate. CCI Stinger, Winchester Xpediter and the Aguila SuperMax all need barrel length to reach their velocity. And in a lot of cases the bullet is going so fast the recoil impulse is not long enough to cycle semi auto rifles. I know in my 22 AR as well as my 10/22 CCI Stingers and Aguila SuperMax will not cycle. And I have yet to find a hyper velocity round that is what I would call reasonably accurate.

The problem with the hypervelocity ammunition's accuracy is not the ammunition but the twist rate. Because the hypervelocity rounds use bullets that are identical to 22 short bullets the twist needs to be slower. Green Mountain makes a "Stinger" barrel and I have read it is extremely accurate with hypervelocity rounds but not many others. The Stinger barrel uses a 18 twist barrel, the same as most 22 short guns for 100 years ago. The Stinger barrel also has the longer chamber to better accommodate the longer casing of the hypervelocity rounds.

The Aguila SuperMax clocked at 1,750 out of a 18" 22 bolt gun and over 1,800 fps out of a gun I had with a longer barrel. It really is a very, very hot round but it is also very inaccurate in all the guns I tried it in. It would probably be minute of squirrel at 25 yards but at 25 yards there would not ne anything left.

I've got some Remington Yellow Jackets that don't do well in anything I own. Learned something new here. Thanks Dolo.

I chrono'd a bunch with a Magnetospeed last year in a Savage TRR-SR. Stingers were the fastest around 1,500. You would have to have a pretty long barrel to get 1,600+.

Did some match type ammo as well. Results below:

CCI Blazer suppressed:  (did not effect velocity on average)

Avg 1229     ES  54                      2 1 1223  ft/sec  2 2 1218  ft/sec  2 3 1250  ft/sec  2 4 1237  ft/sec  2 5 1196  ft/sec  2 6 1246  ft/sec  2 7 1234  ft/sec 

Eley Match:

1041 Avg 1060 / ES 30

Lapua Center X:

1060 Avg 1062 / ES 25  (Note * most accurate ever in this rifle)

CCI SV:

1049 Avg 1047 / ES 22

Federal bulk HV:

1257 Avg 1241 / ES 24

CCI Blazer:

1236 Avg 1230 / ES 25 

Remington Thunderbolt:

1213 Avg 1184 / ES 94 

CCI Mini Mag:

1242 Avg 1256 / ES 32

Centurion:

1242 Avg 1242 / ES 52