The MP-44 has returned... Again.

whitewolf001

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/22/new-mp-44-sturmgewehr-rifles-coming-us/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2015-01-27&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Yep, that’s right – we will finally again have access to museum-quality new semiauto MP-44 Sturmgewehr rifles from Germany! I spent some time yesterday speaking with Lars Brüggemann with EL BE Tac, who is the US distributor for these rifles, and the prospects are very exciting. A full line of reproduction semiauto German WWII rifles will be coming to the US, starting with the MP-44 and MP-38. The ATF has already approved the designs for these two, which is the biggest obstacle to bringing in guns like these.

There were no samples at the show, as importation is still pending permit approval (the guns have to come into the US in a sporting configuration to comply with import law), but the first guns should be here during the summer. Unlike the somewhat infamous PTR-44 debacle from several years ago, these new guns will use materials and heat treat fully up to modern spec.

The MP-44 will be offered in 7.92×33 (8mm Kurz) only, and will accept original MP-44 magazines. The MP-38 is a closed-bolt conversion and will be sold as a pistol, with a stock fixed in the folded position (but repairable for folks who was to file SBR papers for them). Exact prices are not yet determined, but the MP-44 will likely be around the $5,000 mark. A lot of money to be sure, but an awesome opportunity to have the rifle that is truly the inspiration behind today’s entire combat rifle concept. Stay tuned for a first look at the guns when they arrive here in the States!

Why not make a minor change and chamber it in 7.62x39? Seems it would be a lot cheaper to operate but then again anyone who can afford a $5K gun can probably afford to shoot it as well.

They talk about SBRing an imported pistol but unless there are enough US parts you cannot legally convert it into a rifle whose configuration is banned from import.

• Like 2
I'm with Dolomite on this one. Who makes 8mm short anyway? I've never seen it before, but that's not saying much. Past reloaders it seems like a pointless round to use just due to lack of availability. 5k seems steep too, but I understand that there is a ton of R&D plus tooling up to produce these. Edited by gjohnsoniv

I'm with Dolomite on this one. Who makes 8mm short anyway? I've never seen it before, but that's not saying much. Past reloaders it seems like a pointless round to use just due to lack of availability. 5k seems steep too, but I understand that there is a ton of R&D plus tooling up to produce these.

Umm, I think the R&D was done nearly a century ago.  

• Like 2

Its a semi auto version of the exact same rifle.  Change the trigger out.  BOOM! R&D done.

There's a little more to it than that, especially if you're getting it approved by BATFE for export.

If they stick to a high quality / low volume business model, I predict they'll sell all they make.
  • Like 2